Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Posting 35mm Photos

I have a ton of old 35mm photos that I would like to put on my computer but haven't a clue where to start. Those who know me know my computer skills are the worst and I'm lucky I can post a few pictures and e-mail. It really is that bad. :( What are some of the ways of getting 35mm pics on to my computer. I know they have scanners and I'm told they have something now that you just drop your picture in and it puts it on a disc. Some of you are probably lauging but that's my computer mentality. Please share some of your ideas which one I should buy without breaking the bank. :)

TJ

The above mentioned scanner does work well but not on "Vista 64" as I found out.

Here is a picture that I scanned using the scanner when attached to my old system.

Phil

post-3185-0-34707900-1299956490_thumb.jpg

I have a ton of old 35mm photos that I would like to put on my computer but haven't a clue where to start. Those who know me know my computer skills are the worst and I'm lucky I can post a few pictures and e-mail. It really is that bad. :( What are some of the ways of getting 35mm pics on to my computer. I know they have scanners and I'm told they have something now that you just drop your picture in and it puts it on a disc. Some of you are probably lauging but that's my computer mentality. Please share some of your ideas which one I should buy without breaking the bank. :)

TJ

TJ,

Unless you're willing to put in LOTS of time on learning how to scan 35mm slides/negs and use a photo editing program to fix some of the usual glitches (such as all of the dust specs on the scan above), you'll be better off selecting a bunch of the best pix and getting them done to a CD by someone.

That said, it is indeed possible to do good scans from 35mm slides. I have a dedicated 35mm Minolta Dimage scanner that works well. Here are a few samples in LOW-res. files of the originals:

post-82-0-26196400-1299960203_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-35024400-1299960242_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-07705000-1299960307_thumb.jpg

Do you already own a scanner TJ? Lots of the new printer/copiers for computers now have scanners built in. If you already have one you can just scan the pics yourself. It's not that hard, but it's time consuming. As Tony mentioned, you can scan the negatives or slides, but that's a little trickier. I assume you mean you want to scan the printed photos not the negatives. Perhaps taking them to Walgreens would be your best bet and let someone else scan them.

I have scanned a lot of photos in the past. You can teach yourself to do it adequately if you are patient. It is difficult to make them better than what you are scanning without a lot of practice and software, old pictures are going to look like old pictures. If you want to archive a bunch of photo's just because, go out and buy a scanner and learn how to use it. Don't expect it to look like the slides scanned above...unless you have slides. I think they have something that scans negatives as well? You might get better quality with that if you have them.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Them are some nice pictures Tony.

Amanda....yes, I just want to do it from home. I have thousands so taking them to walgreens is out of the question.

Shelvin....pm sent.

TJ,

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wish to do. When you wrote "35mm photos," I assumed you meant slides or negs. If you meant the PRINTS from 35mm slides or negs, it is quite a bit easier to scan them. Any flatbed scanner will do a decent job, albeit at a lesser quality from scanning the original slide or neg, and the learning curve isn't quite as steep. ;)