Sign in to follow this  
OpticNerd

Gila Monster footage

I didn't know where to post because I couldn't find a reptile section so hopefully this was the right place. I thought this was pretty cool and even though it's not a big ol buck or bull I thought some of you enjoy it. I found this monster while hunting coues with my bow in Aug. Luckily it allowed me to get some pretty good footage before getting too pissy with me. If you listen carefully at about the 48 second mark you can hear him hiss. This was the first time I've ever heard this and let me tell ya these things sound pretty mean. I've been running around the hills my whole life and have only came across 3 of these so needless to say I was pretty pumped to get video of one. On a side not I'm very curious to know how many Gila Monsters others have seen while out in the hills?

Thanks and your welcome Lee! I'm glad you like it as much as I did putting it together. I don't know how frequently Gila Monster are seen out in the wild but it was definitely something I don't see too often. This was actually the first one I was able to get close to. The other two I've seen was while I was driving and by the time I got turned around I could find them anymore.

Thanks for sharing! That was cool and great footage. I have only seen one but it was a lot smaller then that one.

Really cool!

I've only encountered a gila monster once.

In Sabino Canyon on the N side of Tucson, many years ago.

I remember that cool experience and you'll cherish that video more than you know in later years.

Great footage! I have yet to see one of those guys, I think it's okay though... they are kind of creepy! :blink:

BTW - Images were crystal clear, what kind of camera were you using?

Thanks I'm glad some of you liked it. The video camera I used was a Canon XL2. I love the quality this camera processes but it's just way too big for a hunting camera.

Great video. Thanks for posting. That is a good sized one.

I've seen a couple of them down south and two in the last year while mountain biking in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve near my house. They can definitely get your attention when they hiss!

post-4521-0-82980100-1302891377_thumb.jpg

post-4521-0-53352900-1302891521_thumb.jpg

I don't always see one every year, but my husband usually does because they have them at boyce thompson arboretum, where he works. I have seen several around Globe, on the San Carlos and down in Southeastern AZ. I think they are cool critters! My neighbor had a baby one crawl up a screen on his house.

You got some nice footage there! as far as where to post something like this, I think of the campfire section as the catch-all for stuff that doesn't fit in the other categories.

Very Cool! I have seen 2 in all my 40 years. Last one was a face to face encounter as I was rock climbing near Canyon Lake about 20 years ago. I was pulling myself up on a ledge and as my face rose above it I heard that Hiss that immediately stopped me from any movement and there I was face to face (less than arms length) to one of those eerily beautiful creatures. That one had more af a yellow than orange colors on it. Good stuff thanks for sharing!

I have only seen one. My GSP "pointed" it while bird hunting near 4 Peaks. They have a nasty, black, slimey mouth too.

Sorry for the misplace post Amanda thanks for clarification. Thanks for all the comments and thanks for those who shared their Gila Monster encounters with us. It looks like they aren't seen too much in the wild. The encounter WadeNAZ had would have freak me out big time!

That was awesome footage! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I've seen a handful of them from around here and in Mexico. I think the cool part is no two are exactly alike, different patterns and colors. One thing that remains the same though is thier attitudes!

Here are some pics of one i found near my house a while ago, he eventually got upset at me following him around with the camera and that's when he "charged" me hissing the whole time! Cool critters for sure!

Gila3.jpg

Gila5.jpg

Gila10.jpg

Gila7.jpg

Gila9.jpg

Here he is, zeroed in on my foot and charging!

Gila4.jpg