Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Vortex HD's or ZenRay

Any experiance looking through these? I would like to get a pair of the Razor HD's in a 10x 0r 8x42 but not sure if I want to or can spend the amount they are now going for. Anybody seen the diffrence between the Talons and the Vipers?? Wheres the best place to pick some up to look through? Cabelas doesnt sell them right now for some reason. It seems like there lines have gone to HD.

if your referring to the new line of bino.....no i have not. but i would like to. i have vipers now but im afraid if i pick up a set of viper hd s i may not be able to leave with out them.

mt graham archery in pima and gila outdoors are both dealers but i dont know if they have them on hand. tucson sportsmans had a decent selection last time i was there although it a much farther drive.

if your referring to the new line of bino.....no i have not. but i would like to. i have vipers now but im afraid if i pick up a set of viper hd s i may not be able to leave with out them.

mt graham archery in pima and gila outdoors are both dealers but i dont know if they have them on hand. tucson sportsmans had a decent selection last time i was there although it a much farther drive.

I might check Mt graham archery, Gila Outdoor never keeps a stock of them anymore for some reason. I am looking at binos not spotting scopes. What Vipers do you have, power wise?? What other binos would you comparer them to? Thanks!

I dont necessarily have to have HD's but it seems that alot of optics are going that route and maybe that will be the only offerings in the future, I dont know though. I wish I had bought some of the Razors cameraland had on sale like 6 monsth ago or so. Looking back now, they were a really good deal and available. Now its hard to find Razors available or for less than $1000. Maybe Doug can chime in and tell the difference between the 3 models.

+1 on the Zen Ray. Definately worth looking through before you buy something. I looked through a friend's last fall an I was really shocked by the clarity. I'm a little surprised there isn't more buzz about them.

+1 on the Zen Ray. Definately worth looking through before you buy something. I looked through a friend's last fall an I was really shocked by the clarity. I'm a little surprised there isn't more buzz about them.

So would you put the Zen Ray's on the level of the Razors or Vipers? The one thing I really like about Vortex is the warranty. If the Zen Rays and vortex are comparable in quality but the Vortex equivalent is just a little more in price, than I would go with the Vortex due to the warranty. Does Sportsmans carry the Zen Rays?? I looked at some 10x42mm Diamondbacks at Gila Outdoor and they were clear as can be. Especially considering the price! I thnk they were way better than the Leupolds I had and better than Nikons I looked through.

Here is a review of the new Vortex HDs from a person whose opinion I value.

http://opticstalk.com/vortex-razor-hd-review_topic28759.html

Regarding the older, first generation Razors, I personally preferred the ZR ED that I had and tested against the Razor.

Beardown- the Zen-Ray warranty is lifetime and fully transferable. Both ZR and Vortex should be good-to-go.

So would you put the Zen Ray's on the level of the Razors or Vipers? The one thing I really like about Vortex is the warranty. If the Zen Rays and vortex are comparable in quality but the Vortex equivalent is just a little more in price, than I would go with the Vortex due to the warranty. Does Sportsmans carry the Zen Rays?? I looked at some 10x42mm Diamondbacks at Gila Outdoor and they were clear as can be. Especially considering the price! I thnk they were way better than the Leupolds I had and better than Nikons I looked through.

I didn't have the Razors or Vipers to compare against. I was wearing Swaro SLC 10x42 when I looked through the Zen Rays, and I was very impressed with the clarity and contrast. The only Vortex binocs I've bought have been the Diamondbacks for my boys and there is no comparison there - the Zens were far superior. Apples-to-apples, I think the Zens compare very well against Euro HD glass that costs many times more. The guy that brought these binos with him has the swaro ED HD, and decided to use these on a hunt that he had waited 16 years to draw, for what that is worth.

I can't give you a good comparison against Vortex higher-end glass, as I've never looked through them in the field. I can tell you that the Zen Rays were as clear and bright as Swarovski and Leica models I have looked through. As for warranty, I'm a huge fan of Vortex, and have no idea how Zen handles their warranty.

I have the zen ray 10s and my room mate has razor 12s non hd. Both are really good glass. The zens are lots cheaper, well made and great glass. If the zens had a range finder I would use them as much or more than the geovids. I bought the zens as back up pair, but I use them a lot.

I have the zen ray 10s and my room mate has razor 12s non hd. Both are really good glass. The zens are lots cheaper, well made and great glass. If the zens had a range finder I would use them as much or more than the geovids. I bought the zens as back up pair, but I use them a lot.

Any places in Tucson that has good optics selection to look through?? I will try Sportsmans but was just curious about any others.

Bull Basin is a dealer for Vortex, Swaro, Leica, and Nikon.

Any places in Tucson that has good optics selection to look through?? I will try Sportsmans but was just curious about any others.