Sign in to follow this  
coueshunter

Mexico eases Travel Requirements

I just got an email and the State of Sonora beginning Dec. 15th will no longer require us to stop at the 21K marker for a vehicle permit if you are staying in Sonora. If you are traveling outside sonora you will still have to get the federal permit. Not only will this save a bunch of time but also the anxiety of dealing with the paperwork and the 27.00 permit. If anyone is interested in more details, I will forward the email to Amanda to post the public announcement.............Allen Taylor...........

I am Interested in read that information! I travel to Hermosillo about once a month and that would make things simpler and quicker! I had heard rumos about this but they were hard to believe after hearing the same one for 2-3 years.

:)

I am also interested. We have hunters going in Jan and that would save us some headaches and time. But for the last year or so they have been talking about doing away with the 21.

desertsheep

Guest Ernesto C

I got the same email/press release. I emailed to Amanda before reading your post Allen.

AGADES informed me about this in late November.............so I really like this.

Ernesto C

Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul. The second best place is........................while hunting.

I got back from Caborca, Sonora, yesterday (Thursday). (We drove down there Tuesday.) We had to stop for tourist permits, but no car permit was needed coming or going. We were told the permit-required area starts a few miles below Guaymas.

A friend from PA has a high-fenced 2,000-acre ranch in the Sierra Viejos where he wants to start a mule deer hunting operation, but the lions and coyotes are eating his "livestock."

Bill

I am in Obregon, Sonora right now and I got here yesterday[15th]. If you are going any farther than Empalme than you will need to get the permit. Also, if you do have to get the permit than make sure that you get your receipt for turning in the sticker. Yesterday they were trying to tell me that I never turned in my sticker from last time.

Guest Ernesto C

Bill, this change acoording to the press release became effective yesterday December 15th so Tuesday was the 13th. Depending on how you got to Caborca you should had with you a tourist and a car permit. I'm glad you had no problems.

Before and now,if you were/are going to get out of the free zone you and your car

needed/need a permit,you can't have a permit for your car only,remember,both you and your car need the permit.

Before,if you drove to Caborca from the Sonoita or San Luis Rio Colorado border you were not required to have a permit,(because you were not going to get out of the free zone,Caborca is still inside the free zone)) but if you drove to Caborca from the Nogales border you were required to have the permit because you were going to get out of the free zone for some 50 or so miles.

Take care everyone.

Ernesto C

Here is the press release that Ernesto sent me. Allen, I never got an email from you? Is the press release you have the same?

Amanda

Press Release

December 14, 2005

Stop worrying about those paperwork headaches!

"Only Sonora" moves south and it's easier to visit Sonora

Visitors to the interior of Sonora are now able to drive directly to such cities as Guaymas (San Carlos), Hermosillo, Magdalena and Santa Ana without the time-consuming process of obtaining a car permit. With the movement of the "Only Sonora" vehicle checkpoint, visitors to the state will no longer have to obtain a car permit in order to travel south of Nogales.

Now, paperwork to obtain the decal for visiting the interior will be done at a new checkpoint on Highway 15, just south of the Guaymas-bypass on the road between Ciudad Obregon and Empalme. The change is effective December 15.

For the next six months, Sonora will continue to staff a booth at the 21 KM checkpoint that will take paperwork from vehicles that are returning to the US.

Minimally, the elimination of this paperwork means a savings of 15 minutes. However, around certain holidays, the measure may save visitors several hours.

The "Only Sonora" program, unique in Mexico, allows Americans to visit Sonora without paying the customary (federal) fee of $27. "Our intention here is to make it easier for Americans to visit Sonora," said Gov. Eduardo Bours. "This measure should cut anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour off a trip to Hermosillo or San Carlos.

As importantly, it removes psychological barriers -- the less paperwork required for people to get from one place to another, the better. Sonora --and other "free zones" in Mexico's border areas --have experienced incredible growth when we eliminate paperwork. By moving "Only Sonora" south, we're confident that we'll inspire new visitors and bring our states closer together."

Travelers intending to go beyond Sonora will still have to obtain a so-called "Banjercito" federal permit. A permit is not required for travel to Rocky Point and other border cities, which are classified as "free-zones." Required for a permit: proof of US residency; a driver's license, proof of vehicle ownership.

Motorists entering Sonora through Naco, Agua Prieta, Sasabe, Sonoyta and San Luis Rio Colorado will not need paperwork for their vehicles, either, if their destination is before the new 'Only Sonora' checkpoint.

"Only Sonora" requires motorists to show proof of US residency; a visa to visit Mexico; a driver's license and proof of vehicle ownership.

Americans going beyond the Kilometer 21 Checkpoint into Mexico's interior will still be required to obtain a visa, which is valid for up to 6 months and good for multiple entries. The Banjercito booth will remain at KM21.

Neither a permit nor a visa is required to visit Rocky Point (Puerto Pe?asco) and other border cities which are classified as "free-zones".

I got back from Caborca, Sonora, yesterday (Thursday). (We drove down there Tuesday.) We had to stop for tourist permits, but no car permit was needed coming or going. We were told the permit-required area starts a few miles below Guaymas.

A friend from PA has a high-fenced 2,000-acre ranch in the Sierra Viejos where he wants to start a mule deer hunting operation, but the lions and coyotes are eating  his "livestock."

Bill

That is what happened to a ranch south of cananea son the preds ate the heck out of all the exotics they had all the high fences kept out was the cows? Later Cm

Here is the press release that Ernesto sent me.  Allen, I never got an email from you?  Is the press release you have the same?

Amanda

Press Release

December 14, 2005

Stop worrying about those paperwork headaches!

"Only Sonora" moves south and it's easier to visit Sonora

Visitors to the interior of Sonora are now able to drive directly to such cities as Guaymas (San Carlos), Hermosillo, Magdalena and Santa Ana without the time-consuming process of obtaining a car permit. With the movement of the "Only Sonora" vehicle checkpoint, visitors to the state will no longer have to obtain a car permit in order to travel south of Nogales.

Now, paperwork to obtain the decal for visiting the interior will be done at a new checkpoint on Highway 15, just south of the Guaymas-bypass on the road between Ciudad Obregon and Empalme. The change is effective December 15.

For the next six months, Sonora will continue to staff a booth at the 21 KM checkpoint that will take paperwork from vehicles that are returning to the US.

Minimally, the elimination of this paperwork means a savings of 15 minutes. However, around certain holidays, the measure may save visitors several hours.

The "Only Sonora" program, unique in Mexico, allows Americans to visit Sonora without paying the customary (federal) fee of $27. "Our intention here is to make it easier for Americans to visit Sonora," said Gov. Eduardo Bours. "This measure should cut anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour off a trip to Hermosillo or San Carlos.

As importantly, it removes psychological barriers -- the less paperwork required for people to get from one place to another, the better. Sonora --and other "free zones" in Mexico's border areas --have experienced incredible growth when we eliminate paperwork. By moving "Only Sonora" south, we're confident that we'll inspire new visitors and bring our states closer together."

Travelers intending to go beyond Sonora will still have to obtain a so-called "Banjercito" federal permit. A permit is not required for travel to Rocky Point and other border cities, which are classified as "free-zones." Required for a permit: proof of US residency; a driver's license, proof of vehicle ownership.

Motorists entering Sonora through Naco, Agua Prieta, Sasabe, Sonoyta and San Luis Rio Colorado will not need paperwork for their vehicles, either, if their destination is before the new 'Only Sonora' checkpoint.

"Only Sonora" requires motorists to show proof of US residency; a visa to visit Mexico; a driver's license and proof of vehicle ownership.

Americans going beyond the Kilometer 21 Checkpoint into Mexico's interior will still be required to obtain a visa, which is valid for up to 6 months and good for multiple entries. The Banjercito booth will remain at KM21.

Neither a permit nor a visa is required to visit Rocky Point (Puerto Pe?asco) and other border cities which are classified as "free-zones".

thanks for the info CM

I was talking to someone last night about this change and they were saying that in a few more months all of Sonora will be a free zone and not just to Empalme. I hope it comes true since my main destination is Obregon.

Does everyone need to stop and get a Visa or will a passort take the place of the Visa?

What do we need to take for proof of vehicle ownership? Title?

Are there signs in English at the Nogales entry to tell where the places are to get in and out of Mexico? Customs, USF&W office etc.?

Guest Ernesto C

azbow,a visa,or a passport or a birth certificate will do it but must have a picture I.D. And everyone going out of the free-zone will need it

License plate/registration or the title will also work

Yes there are signs in English.

Hope that helps,take care and God bless.

Ernesto C

Does everyone need to stop and get a Visa or will a passort take the place of the Visa?

What do we need to take for proof of vehicle ownership? Title?

Are there signs in English at the Nogales entry to tell where the places are to get in and out of Mexico? Customs, USF&W  office etc.?

azbow-

Even if you have a passport you will still need to get the visa, but don't worry, it's just a piece of paper you fill out and they stamp it and you're good to go. I just use my drivers license and my car registration and it's no problem at all. I came back Sunday from Obregon and just south of Empalme I saw where they had all the cones set up in the road and the trailers there to do all the paperwork. It should be a lot faster than the setup they had before.

Thanks Ernesto and daryl !

One more thing, do I need to get my gun and optics registered at the customs office in Phx to get them back into the US, or can they do that in Nogales when I cross?

Do you get special auto insurance for Mexico?

(guess that was two more things)