Sign in to follow this  
116inchazcoues

6A Rifle Antelope

little info on myself: long time reader (6 years) 3rd or 4th post. my girl says I could have another degree with all the time spent reading and browsing this great site! tons of great people, reading, info, and pictures of what we all have in common. been hunting with my old man since i was able to walk and have a few deer and elk under my belt. the best being a 116 3/8 coues i tagged in 36b when i was 17 - 1st deer killed without the old man - will post a pic soon!!

A friend and I pulled 2 of the 5 rifle antelop tags in 6A with 17 bps. i have some spots that i know hold a few goats and by no means am I asking for anyones hot spots. i was wondering if anyone frequenting this site has pulled this tag in the past? and if so how their hunt went? it will be the first time hunting speed goat for my buddy and i and we do not plan on wasting these tags.

hope to hear some feedback and safe hunting to all.

Last year on my wife's elk hunt, there was a big herd south of Apache Maid. Also see them in the pines N. of Stoneman Lake rd. almost to FH3. Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 2

I put in for the same unit and have one more bonus point than you. Ive seen a few good speed goats tward apache maid and east of camp verdy,i spend some time in 6a every year and have seen one particular buck 4 years in a row now, has to be close to 90" this year i uasily put in for 10 but figured i would try to draw a 6a tag . Im not that lucky. Good luck and hope this helps.

thanks for the responses to my post guys. i have been hunting 6A for over 15 years now and have seen some pretty good goats, one in particular while archery elk hunting near buck mountain, he was in the high 80's with 25 does. very cool to see them in the pines! have taken many bulls near the maid and have witnessed quite a few antelope there as well. up 260 as well. glassing is going to be the key as always and am thinking water too - its been very hot down there during the archery deer and elk hunts for as long as I can remember. going to stay mobile as possible on the hunt and get as much scouting done as possible before opener. this hunt actually goes into the first 3 days of the archery elk -which i had 6 points for. i thought i would get a bull tag for sure and was unsure about the goat but was trying to get both hunts - would be nice to be up in the woods for 3 weeks straight, rifle antelope first then right into the archery elk - AZ dream hunt to me!

sorry for the rambling and i will try to post the pic of the coues i bagged. thanks again for all who have replied to my post.

post-3525-0-11952700-1306086622_thumb.jpg

116inchazcoues,

I also drew one of the tags for the 6A Antelope hunt this season. I have been up there a couple times over the past fews weeks and have yet to see a single antelope. I have seen a couple good herds over the years especially during deer and elk season although it is obviously a lot cooler that time of the year so they are out more. I plan on being up there a bunch over the next few weeks so hopefully I can glass one up and figure out where they're hiding. I'll keep you posted.

thanks for the responses to my post guys. i have been hunting 6A for over 15 years now and have seen some pretty good goats, one in particular while archery elk hunting near buck mountain, he was in the high 80's with 25 does. very cool to see them in the pines! have taken many bulls near the maid and have witnessed quite a few antelope there as well. up 260 as well. glassing is going to be the key as always and am thinking water too - its been very hot down there during the archery deer and elk hunts for as long as I can remember. going to stay mobile as possible on the hunt and get as much scouting done as possible before opener. this hunt actually goes into the first 3 days of the archery elk -which i had 6 points for. i thought i would get a bull tag for sure and was unsure about the goat but was trying to get both hunts - would be nice to be up in the woods for 3 weeks straight, rifle antelope first then right into the archery elk - AZ dream hunt to me!

sorry for the rambling and i will try to post the pic of the coues i bagged. thanks again for all who have replied to my post.

I was gonna say when we elk hunted in 6A we use to always see a real big buck on or around buck mountain

... tgun3535 & 116inchazcoues... how did you do on this hunt? I drew this tag this year and would like to know/see anything you had harvested.

• Like 1

Well I'll try to keep this thread going so anyone who has hunted 6A antelope please post any pics. Only 8 tags so I anticipate an un-pressured hunt with the exception of the areas mentioned earlier in this thread which is where I usually see them on my elk & deer hunts. The herd appears to be growing or at least where I've been seeing them the last several years in the pines. Some decent bucks but I really have not paid too much attention to them which I will now. Kind of funny the area that I've been hunting the last several years has had the elk herd thinned out really good and now the antelope are showing up. Coincidental?

Last year I saw quite a few in the northern parts... Antelope Park (go figure) & actually in the meadows in between ULM and LLM..

• Like 1