Okay guys here we go! I purchased a 30.378 at the end of last year form a fellow CWTer and have been torn between what scope to get. I would like to be bale to shoot out to 1200 yards someday and in order to do so need a crisp, clear quality scope for this venture. Now I know everyone has their favorite and thats cool but I also want to remain budget minded as well. So with this being said, I woudl like your opinions on scopes you would choose for this 30.378 and a brief description as to why that scope! I will be wanting to use and probably have to use yardage turrets and the theory just seems to make sense for this kind of distance, so keep tha in mind on the selection process. Thank you all very much for helping me in thsi critical decision and investment.

I would look at Nightforce, depending on what budget means. I'll probably end up putting a viper PST on my 338 thats coming. I would like to look at a razor HD. There is a lot of elevation in the razor, 125MOA IIRC. You are gonna need to have quite a bit to get out to 1200. My RUM needs over 31MOA to get to 1200. The WBY should be a little less. You might be able to get away with no rail depending on where your scope zeros.

I use the Leupold 8.5-25X50 LRT on my 300RUM . I can shoot 1000 yrds with it and see target pretty well, for the money it's a really good piece of glass. I have had alot of high end scopes but for the money this Leupold is hard to beat.

Whats your budget? Then we can go from there.

Yeah ... the budget kinda dictates the choices, of which there are more than a few.

I have the nightforce nxs 5.5-22x with the NP-R2 reticle and zero stop. I have no trouble at 1200 yrds seeing clear crisp images. They are pricey but well worth the investment.

I had an edge on my mind for the past couple years. I was all set to build one in Febuary. I am waitng on a savage 110 fcp hs precision in 338lm. Ill see what I can get that to do before I have a custom built.

Budget range is from free to say around $1500. I tried the NF and it would be great for doing curls and no doubt it is a great piece of glass too but just too heavy for my liking. I was really surprised how crisp Zeiss was and that funky looking Leupold scope with the notch in it sure was right there with the Zeiss though not as crisp. So there you have it, looking at 0-1500 price range and hoping for somewhere in the middle. Thanks again guys

In the under 1k price range I would check out Viper PST, the Zeiss conquest, and a VX-III. A MK 4 or Swaro Z5 would put you at the top of your budget. The Z5 looks like only 60MOA elevation, wich is probably going to be low for 1200 w/ out a 20MOA rail. I havent seen a Z5 first hand yet, but the older AV turrets aren't real handy for what I do with them. I took my AV off my 300RUM. I would definately try to look through a MK 4, the 6.5-20x50mm LR/T if you can. If it were me, I'd compare the PST and the Mk4 side by side. I will still probably opt for the PST, because I had to buy new brass and dies. The NF is a boat anchor, but they can take a beating. I would like to have one some day.

Budget range is from free to say around $1500. I tried the NF and it would be great for doing curls and no doubt it is a great piece of glass too but just too heavy for my liking. I was really surprised how crisp Zeiss was and that funky looking Leupold scope with the notch in it sure was right there with the Zeiss though not as crisp. So there you have it, looking at 0-1500 price range and hoping for somewhere in the middle. Thanks again guys

Which Zeiss are you looking at? I have the Conquest 4.5-14x50mm with the tactical turrets. It is a great scope for the money ... I think I paid only about $700 for it at the time a few years back. Has the mil-dot reticle (#43). When I bought it, Alex at EuroOptics recommended that I go with the Conquest over the Diavari, even though I had the money to do the other. He said for the difference, the Conquest was better bang for the buck. I'd buy another one if I had the opportunity to get it at the same price. Most of the time I've seen them higher though.

I'd check out those FFP Viper Scopes from Vortex. They have some pretty nice features, and an FFP scope for under a grand is supposedly a pretty good price. If the glass is crisp, I'd sure think about it, but I'd want to look through the glass first and see that the FFP didn't screw me up too much.

If you really think you want the Zeiss, but want to try one first, I have no problem pulling mine from my .300 Ultra and letting you give it a whirl ... just don't break it ... I know where you work ... :lol: :lol: :lol: It's nothing to me but a little time putting it back on and re-sighting ... gives me an excuse to hit the range. Either that, or you can just shoot my rifle ... it isn't a .30-378, but it isn't leaps and bounds behind it either.

I shoot a 300 Weatherby and its topped with a Zeiss Conquest, 6.5-20X50, Plex Reticle with Kenton Long Range Turrets dialed out to 1000 yards. Its well within your limited budget to have this setup. Its crystal clear, and fairly light for its size.

Which Zeiss are you looking at? I have the Conquest 4.5-14x50mm with the tactical turrets. It is a great scope for the money ... I think I paid only about $700 for it at the time a few years back. Has the mil-dot reticle (#43). When I bought it, Alex at EuroOptics recommended that I go with the Conquest over the Diavari, even though I had the money to do the other. He said for the difference, the Conquest was better bang for the buck. I'd buy another one if I had the opportunity to get it at the same price. Most of the time I've seen them higher though.

I'd check out those FFP Viper Scopes from Vortex. They have some pretty nice features, and an FFP scope for under a grand is supposedly a pretty good price. If the glass is crisp, I'd sure think about it, but I'd want to look through the glass first and see that the FFP didn't screw me up too much.

If you really think you want the Zeiss, but want to try one first, I have no problem pulling mine from my .300 Ultra and letting you give it a whirl ... just don't break it ... I know where you work ... :lol: :lol: :lol: It's nothing to me but a little time putting it back on and re-sighting ... gives me an excuse to hit the range. Either that, or you can just shoot my rifle ... it isn't a .30-378, but it isn't leaps and bounds behind it either.

Sound advise as usual and Vortex is relaly making a name for themselves with their pricing being fair and their product being quality stuff! It will either be Vortex or Zeiss I am thinking at this point and thank you for the offer of your scope but not necessary! Kirk