Sign in to follow this  
Arizonahunter

My 2011 Southern Arizona Archery Bear-UPDATED

I just wanted to take a few minutes of your day and share my hunt success. It all started back in late 2010 when I found out I drew my tag, then a few months back when I seriously started scouting. I made it out a few times here and there and finally located some bears I wanted to go after. After many months of waiting, the season finally opened and I couldn't make it out, until a few weeks later. At this point, I knew one of the 3 sows had already been harvested along with a few nice boars. So the first chance I was able to make it out to actually hunt, I took full advantage of it, knowing that my Real Estate work schedule would be keeping me very busy the next few days. I climbed in the stand at about 5:30am not getting down until about 7:00pm that night. What a long day in the stand, especially to only have a bobcat and a coodumundi come in the whole day. Well, day one of the hunt for me was a bust... Oh well, At least I was able to spend a day in the mountains. So the following day, I get a text from my nephew, who had the same hunt, saying " Just Killed " and that was it. Finally about 3 hours later, he finally text back saying he had killed a sow. That's 2 of the 3 allowed. Huge excitement for him, but fear at the same time for me, knowing that there was only 1 sow left to harvest before the hunt was over...At this point, my brain began to race of when I would be able to get out again, in hopes that the female harvest limit would not be met, before I could get out. That week, we had a family vacation planned, from a few months prior, no missing that, my wife would have killed me...

Well, when we finally returned a few days ago Sunday, I found out the hunt was still open, phewwww, BUT due to all of the fires burning around the state, the forest service would be shutting down the Forest on Thursday until we get enough rain to saturate the forest. Hmmn, its only the beginning of June, monsoons aren't supposed to be here for another month or so. I though my hunt was done. Luckily, I was able to sneak away from work on Wednesday to get my 2nd day of hunting in, Just in time before they closed access to the forest the following day.

My day started pretty early, making the drive, hiking in and getting to my spot before sun up. Once I arrived to my spot, I dropped all of my stuff off, pulled my cam and made my way back to the stand. Breifly looking at what pic's I had on cam, I started the process of making my way up the tree. After climbing up, hanging my pack and pulling my bow up, I knocked an arrow and hung the bow. I flipped my seat down, turned around and there he comes. I say to myself, " Holy crap ", theres a bear. I hadn't been in the stand more than 2 minutes and I had a bear coming in. I hadn't even had time to get my range finder out and range a few areas. So I scrambled to get my range finder out and ranged him at 33 yards, he dissappears for a few seconds behind a tree and then comes back into one of my shooting lanes and I quickly ranged him at 45 yards. I drew back, put my 50 pin on him as he as quartering away and let the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter fly, tipped with the Rocket Broadhead and whack! I drilled him hard at 52 yards, he spun around, trying to bite the arrow, ran about 20 yards, stopped, stood there for about a minute, fell over and expired right in front of me!!! I didn't know what to do, scream, jump ( Bad idea in a treestand ), hoot and hollar?? Instead, I took a knee up in the tree stand and said a huge prayer to the man above. Then, I let out the biggest YEAH BABY, THANK YOU LORD, HECK YEAH, anything I could think of, lol...Finally after months of scouting, 13 hours and 32 minutes in the stand, It had finally all come together. I gave him a few more minutes, JUST INCASE he was playing dead, lol, lowered everything down and made my way over to him. What a sight. My first Archery kill and it's a nice big boar.

After many pics, dressing and skinning him out ( A chore in itself, especially solo ) 3 trips to pack him out and 4 hours later, I was finally on my way home and anxiously awaiting to get into cell service to break the exciting news to all of my family and friends. Once in cell service, I get a text from a good fried of mine that also had the same hunt and hunting the same day I was, saying " Done, bear down " he had just harvested the last sow allowed. Season was over!

Thanks to my wonderful and loving wife and kids for being so understanding of my hunting obsession. Also huge thanks to my 2 close friends for all of your knowledge, wilingness to answer my questions and assistance, you guys know who you are...

Hope you enjoyed the long winded write up, but it was a lot of fun and wanted to share it with you all. Thanks and I'll post the score when its ready! UPDATED: I took my bear in last night and had him scored, he measured 19.3", not bad for my first bear... The pic's don't do him justice.

post-4366-0-86586400-1307698492_thumb.jpg

post-4366-0-68653500-1307698566_thumb.jpg

post-4366-0-22561400-1307698679_thumb.jpg

post-4366-0-74285900-1307698832_thumb.jpg

i like it when hard work pays off... great job dude.....what a way to get your first archery kill in.... congrats again dude....

Very nice!

You'll be so happy later on that you took the extra time to set up your poses.

Great job on all accounts!

Nice! Great bear.

I've got a friend down in Tucson that does a lot of hunting this way. Keith @ Arizona Hunting Adventures. He is kind enough to send out emails to us poor desk jockeys with photos and updates about bear movement throughout the season. His communications keep me going.

Several years ago I got to sit and talk for several hours with archery legend Glenn St. Charles. It was up in Seattle at his archery shop before the Pope and Young Museum moved to Missoula. He gave me heck when I talked about stand/blind hunting. A true spot and stalk die hard. I will admit to having shot my last bull elk off a water hole. And that no matter how much we all miss Glenn since his passing that cameras and tree stands have changed the face of archery hunting forever.

Nice bear.

Great story and congratulations on a beautifull bear. :)

TJ