Elkhunter1

THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!!

Hope i can be as vague as possible with this, bout 6 years ago when the wife and i were still dating we went up to my parents place who live in the middle of 27. i took her out to a place that i used to do alot of varmint calling when i lived there growing up. So, i was blowing on the woodpecker call for awhile and just before dusk i stopped, the sunset was beautiful, the moment was right, we were dating, so, we did what most couples might of done in that situation on the bench seat of the truck. No, i am not going to mention what we were doing :D both truck doors were open, well half way thru "the deed" a big ole fox ran up the ridge and just stared at us with a wtf? look :lol: I manuvered away as fast as I could, grabbed my rifle, the whole time the wife had no idea what was goin on, I shot the fox that was now about 50 yards from us, went and got him happy as heck. needless to say I didnt get to finish what we had started and she was pissed. but it was worth it

• Like 1

Couesfan, out of all the threads so far, yours is the most unbelievable. If it werent for the pictures, I would probably called BS (at least in my head). Anyways, thanks for sharing! It was a fantastic read and very interesting. All these other stories have also been great. Keep them coming!

HA! If I had heard it from someone else I wouldn't believe it either without pics! My experience with the crazy coues girls would've never been retold if it weren't for having my brother as a witness, I've had to call on him more than once to back that story up! I still don't think he realizes how much trouble we would've been in had those girls gotten up on the bluff with us. He laughs hard everytime it gets brought back up, I guess when I was screaming "SHOOT EM', SHOOT EM'"!!!, he says I was screaming like a girl :ph34r:

and I don't doubt it!!! Those does were pissed and acted and sounded just like a pack of very angry dogs! JIM>

Hope i can be as vague as possible with this, bout 6 years ago when the wife and i were still dating we went up to my parents place who live in the middle of 27. i took her out to a place that i used to do alot of varmint calling when i lived there growing up. So, i was blowing on the woodpecker call for awhile and just before dusk i stopped, the sunset was beautiful, the moment was right, we were dating, so, we did what most couples might of done in that situation on the bench seat of the truck. No, i am not going to mention what we were doing :D both truck doors were open, well half way thru "the deed" a big ole fox ran up the ridge and just stared at us with a wtf? look :lol: I manuvered away as fast as I could, grabbed my rifle, the whole time the wife had no idea what was goin on, I shot the fox that was now about 50 yards from us, went and got him happy as heck. needless to say I didnt get to finish what we had started and she was pissed. but it was worth it

LOL!!!! It's a wonder she still married you!

Priorites man, you got to have priorities! Looks like you got the hunting bug BAD! :lol:

:lol: Well here is another.....happened to me and buddy Dec. 17th Sorry no photos camera needs fixing.

We tried an area early that i remember had a lot of whitetail in it. We got skunked by the 30 mph wind only saw 3 doe's. I said lets go over here seen couple big mule deer herds earlier in the year. Started driving...buddy is sleeping <_< i noticed i haven't seen any signs for the lake. Turns out i went down the wrong road. Ah well i'll go over to the old stomping grounds 30b and see if we cant get a deer. Well once we got into the unit i knew i wanted to stay in the flats so i stayed right (at the fork). Well it forked again and i didnt' know which way to go...."ummm lets go this way". 200 yards up the hill the road is turning into a rabbit trail...And we get to a small gorge i look up the hill and don't see much of a road. Ok guess we will start here. Backed up 5 yards and parked. We both left the truck doors wide open..and start bullshitting. I walk over to the passenger's side of the truck to grab my pack. While he was glassing into the hill..."you see anything" i said. He answered "no"....I saw some movement in front of us "Don't move there is a doe at 80 yards feeding down the drainage/gorge"!

He slowly made his way to get his bow out of the case while the deer were coming out of the drainage. Five does came out to investigate us..."there's a buck he's not big but he will do for a first" Deer are getting little more nervous...he ranges the buck at 77 yards in the drainage...i keep telling him to "range the doe cause thats where he will walk." He knock an arrrow buck steps out...buddy draws bucks starts to run..."MEH" Buck stops....Buddy shots.....tink tink....AHH shoot you missed!

Well this happened to me : Took 2 wrong roads, Left the doors opened to mask movement, and parked infront of feeding deer. Probabaly never happen again...I still can't believe i parked on top of deer on accident

Can't really say that this happened to me but I was a contributing factor in it. Me and my buddy were glassing a broad gulley in 32. Well, I guess the long day's hike coupled with the warm sun on our back and the soft sand under us (yes, for some reason this spot had some sand) was too much for him. It wasnt five minutes later I looked over and he was stone cold out. Let's just say this was awhile ago and, having seen no deer, I was bored. I took a feather that I had found early in the day and started tickling his nose with it. Seeing him bat at his unknown tormentor in his sleep was just too mcuh... I don't know I guess you had to be there. Anyways I was laughing REALLY hard when I tickled his nose again. At that exact instant I heard a distinctly audible grunt. I'm thinking wtf? I didn't know humans could a noise like that (and seriously considering leaving him on the hillside because I was certain he had rabies). Anyways a thought suddenly crosse my mind and I turn around. Yep. A nice 3x3 coues was staring at me about 100 yards away atop the ridge above the valley.

I slowly grab my rifle (A custom .300 win mag) and prop it up on the bipod. meanwhile, the deer is also thinking wtf and looking at me like I'm an alien. I got lined up on him, quietly put one in the chamber, and pulled the trigger. The deer crumpled up and I am ecstatic. Suddenly I hear yowling that sounds like a dying animal. I look around and my budy is GONE. I have no idea what happens and then it hits me. I guess having a hot load from a .300 win mag go off six inches from your face in a gun with a serious muzzlebrake will startle a sleeping person. When I say startle I mean he took off screaming like a little girl down the gulley (unbeknownst to me, who was still half deaf from the muzzle blast). He evidently had tripped part ways down, and, lets just say, landed into a little cholla. He was covered in it and all I could do was laugh. I realized that a nice sized piece had went into his *private* regions. He was screaming and cursing at me and beggin me to get the cholla off all at the same time. Fat chance, I'm not putting my hand near that.

Eventually he got all the thorns out and we patched him up ok. I felt a little guilty for not waking him up but what could I do? When it comes to your friend's well-being or having a chance at an awesome buck, You know what I'll pick every time ;). Let me tell you, that was one interesting night at hunting camp!

I was archery hunting on the first day of the new year. I was hiking around one of my favorite hills just before light and came around a juniper to see nice 4x4 buck walking at about 60 years right towards me with his head down. As I leaned back behind my tree and reached for my range finder while simultaneously taking out an arrow, I fumbled my range finder onto the rocks at my feet creating the loudest possible noise a range finder could ever muster. Needless to say, the buck was long gone. After throwing up in my mouth, I recovered and tried to laugh it off... Rough way to start the year.

I was archery hunting on the first day of the new year. I was hiking around one of my favorite hills just before light and came around a juniper to see nice 4x4 buck walking at about 60 years right towards me with his head down. As I leaned back behind my tree and reached for my range finder while simultaneously taking out an arrow, I fumbled my range finder onto the rocks at my feet creating the loudest possible noise a range finder could ever muster. Needless to say, the buck was long gone. After throwing up in my mouth, I recovered and tried to laugh it off... Rough way to start the year.

haha!

you can only laugh that off.

look into the retractable tether that can attach to your bino harness or backpack.

james

Definitely. I've just put it off bc it hasn't been a problem, but I'm heading to Cabellas today to use my giftcard I got for waiting outside on Black Friday. Just means I still get to hunt for the rest of year now!

Definitely. I've just put it off bc it hasn't been a problem, but I'm heading to Cabellas today to use my giftcard I got for waiting outside on Black Friday. Just means I still get to hunt for the rest of year now!

if I had a nickle for every time I drew my bow back and my arrow came off the rest I'd have about 20 cents! haha! one time I even pulled the arrow off the string cause I didn't let my finger off the arrow! It was pretty funny! I drew back and my arrow fell to the ground and the buck looked up at me and I looked down at my arrow and then dry fired my bow and the buck took off!

and I still haven't bought a whisker biscuit!

james

If you didn't already get one, take a look at the Range Snap....it's made by a forum member and they are great! I used one on my elk hunt and just loved it. Really handy for keeping your Range Finder (or GPS, or Radio) handy.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/range_snap.htm

Great stories, I can see where my wife would never let me out live me telling her "there's nothing outside". The first time we went tent camping (her last) it was late September in 4B and the bulls were just beginning to bugle, we had a bull very close to the tent bugling like made, she was mad at me because he decided to bugle next to the tent!

Another time, I was out predator hunting with a couple guys, we drove down this deep dark canyon and all of a sudden, the ground ahead of us came alive. There were Coati's running everywhere, (I'd never seen one since moving from Iowa the year before)they jump out and load their guns quickly and started blazing away. Out of the "herd", we ended up with one each and layed them in the back of the truck with the coyotes we'd taken earlier. We stopped to do another stand about a 1/2 hr. later, Clint opened the tail gate on the pick up and one of the dead Coatis attacked, it was more like a big hissy fit but it scared the heck out of him and we got a good laugh.

My wife and I had just been married, we had planned on heading to vegas and stopped in mesa to spend the night. Well we she decides that she would rather go spend the week in the woods. I know lucky sob right. So the next day we drive to flagstaff and that night were out in 6b spot lighting elk in the rain. My brother is driving and were each sitting on a window seal and we both have light going half the night goes by and we don't see any bulls just cows and deer. Well my new bride is none to happy because she had never seen anything bigger than a raghorn. Ok so now it's the middle of the night driving from flag to pine the storm breaks off about upper lake mary the moon comes out and theres elk everywhere. She is sound a sleep and i come up on this big rasty cover in mud 6x6 in the middle of the road and i ease right up to about 10 yards from him and i give her a little shake and say baby theres your bull. She sits up and looks and almost wet her pants. God i'm an butt.