Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Turning a stand bed into a flatbed

My truck is well....pretty much a hunting/off road truck. Not worth much, certainly do not want to by a $40,000 new ride.....

Been thinking of replacing the standard bed with a flatbed. This would allow me to load the Polaris Ranger and tow my popup.

Anybody done this? Suggestions? Any CWT members that can build this?

I would look at service truck dealers and junk yards for a flatbed that already fits your truck then it is just a swap out. Otherwise you are looking at around $1000 to $1500. First you need frame rails to lift the bed off of the tires and mount to your trucks frame, then C-channel for the perimeter and cross rails and then Oak planks or sheet steel. Then paint. Do you have ramps for the Ranger?

My truck is well....pretty much a hunting/off road truck. Not worth much, certainly do not want to by a $40,000 new ride.....

Been thinking of replacing the standard bed with a flatbed. This would allow me to load the Polaris Ranger and tow my popup.

I would look at service truck dealers and junk yards for a flatbed that already fits your truck then it is just a swap out. Otherwise you are looking at around $1000 to $1500. First you need frame rails to lift the bed off of the tires and mount to your trucks frame, then C-channel for the perimeter and cross rails and then Oak planks or sheet steel. Then paint. Do you have ramps for the Ranger?

Great idea....will do some investigating. I do not have ramps (beside some cheap ones to load on my flat bed trailer).

My buddy just did this to his Dodge. He's pretty handy and did all the work himself. Cost him $900 in just steel alone. That included buying an old flat bed frame from a junkyard truck.

I put a flat bed on my truck and it is the smartest thing I have done (next to asking my wife to marry me). The reason I like it so much is because it is tough, you can't hurt it. Unless you are driving a '72 Chevy, the truck bodies these days are of very poor quality and it does not take much to tear them up and put dents in them.

A flatbed is the perfect work bench, shooting bench or sleeping area. I built some racks for mine and I can haul a load of fire wood or just about anything else that needs to be hauled. Heck, I don't worry when my teenage daughter takes the truck and I don't even mind when other drivers tailgate me on the highway...

Bryce, that is one bad as* flatbed....much nicer than I envisioned! Do you have it put on or make it yourself?

I wanted to build one but my time is more valuable than my money and with the price of steel like it is I just picked one up for $1500 and put it on. I had to build a partial sub-frame to match the bed up with the truck frame.

Thanks a lot Bryce! I have the same truck and have been wanting to convert mine as well. After seeing your truck now I REALLY want to do it! hahaha.

Looks great.

I bought a pretty rough 9' long bed off Craigs List last year for $600 after a bit of dickering... I then bought some underbody boxes on line made by a company called "Buyers".. they are decent and the cheapest I could find... did some custome dove tails so i can still pull a gooseneck and built siderails that double as ramps and mounted it... got about $1,200 in the whole deal. FYI... you will need airbags and load range E tires if you plan to haul a ranger on a single wheel truck... or go really slow...the corners will drag you across the line if you are not careful. ;)

post-996-0-13255100-1311026453_thumb.jpg

I bought a pretty rough 9' long bed off Craigs List last year for $600 after a bit of dickering... I then bought some underbody boxes on line made by a company called "Buyers".. they are decent and the cheapest I could find... did some custome dove tails so i can still pull a gooseneck and built siderails that double as ramps and mounted it... got about $1,200 in the whole deal. FYI... you will need airbags and load range E tires if you plan to haul a ranger on a single wheel truck... or go really slow...the corners will drag you across the line if you are not careful. ;)

Hey Gino,

Thanks for the reply, the more I look into this, the more I want one.

I am still wondering if my old 2001 1/2 ton Chevy can handle it....I am planning on getting a "new" truck in a couple of years (new to me...not brand new) so what ever I get I will make it a point to put on my new truck (will be a 3/4 ton)... if bags and new tires are also needed I can do that...what tires are you running? Pro comp?

I am in a catch 22. Got and Ranger, but cannot tow my pop-up and my ranger at the same time. If I get a toyhauler, then I need a new truck to pull the toyhauler....and I am in for $$$

Hey Gino,

Thanks for the reply, the more I look into this, the more I want one.

I am still wondering if my old 2001 1/2 ton Chevy can handle it....I am planning on getting a "new" truck in a couple of years (new to me...not brand new) so what ever I get I will make it a point to put on my new truck (will be a 3/4 ton)... if bags and new tires are also needed I can do that...what tires are you running? Pro comp?

I am in a catch 22. Got and Ranger, but cannot tow my pop-up and my ranger at the same time. If I get a toyhauler, then I need a new truck to pull the toyhauler....and I am in for $$$

Yeah the Pro Comps are good... but they are coming off because they don't handle the weight... time for 10 plys... I don't know if you can beef that 1/2 ton enough but with bags and or adda-leafs...maybe. Toy-haulers SUCK... too heavy and they don't fit a Ranger anyhow... You are barking up the right tree...IMO... might have some improvising to do tho... Good luck man!

Word of advise, if you are going to go with a flat bed, build the sub frame first. Its easy to lay it all out on the truck frame, make brackets to line everything up to match the factory frame holes from the bed. Once its done you can lay the flatbed on the sub frame that is bolted to your truck frame, mark it all out, wield the two together and your almost done! The wiring can be the fun part!

We have put alot on over the years. Some we had payed a company to install, but most we have done ourself. A few of the ones we paied to have installed, they took a few short cuts that we didn't catch till we went to move the bed to another truck. Just don't wield it to the frame of the truck! It makes it a son of a buck to ever take off if needed.

Your half ton can handle it, just need heavier springs and airbags if your really going to load it down. The heavier springs will really change the ride, but it will handle alot better with all the added weight.

If your going to add boxes to the bottom, don't go cheap! Cheap doesn't seal! nothing worse than a box filled with dust or even better water! I have a couple that from day one didn't seal right and are always filled with dust, and when it makes it to the car wash, plum full of water!

Need any ideas, let me know! Ben

Lots of good advice above. Many years ago I worked for a truck body company that built and installed flat beds, utility bodies etc.. One thing to keep in mind is that a flatbed, regardless of what it is made of will weigh at least a couple of hundred pounds more than a stock pickup bed. A stock bed doesnt weigh more than a couple of hundred pounds. Any flat bed will add significant weight. Add the tool boxes and tools or whatever will add even more weight. As mentioned above, springs, airbags and tires are all going to have to be connsidered. The big issue will be the cost of steel, which is ridiulously high right now. If you have the tools and the time, I would say build one yourself. If you can find one the right size (There are a lot that are built 10 feet long) and are able to modify it to your truck, thats probably the easiest and maybe the cheapest. A lot of flatbeds are mounted to the frame using big U bolts usually with a wood spacer between the frame of the truck and frame of the bed. The better ones are mounted by using a bracket that bolts to the frame of the truck. As mentioned above never weld a bed on (you should never weld to the frame of a truck between the axles anyway). If you find a truck body company willing to sell it to you, you can buy the prefabed side and end rails as well as the cross members (Bed kits are made by a company called Fleming in California). You just weld it together.

I have a steel rack that slides into the bed of my 2500. Basically makes a flatbed just above the bed sides. I can fit two full size Arctic Cat 500's side by side. The 12 foot folding ramps slide under each quad and lock in place. Plenty of storage under the rack, and the tailgate will close. It handles great with stock suspension, but I think I will install airbags. I hauled my quads this way so I could pull my tent trailer, before I sold it. I'm guessing the rack weighs about 300 lbs. I can load it myself.