Ok sorry but I have to start this up. I have been hearing a lot of talk about carp deer being mule deer. I love both species but I don't understand why mule deer are being put down. When I think of the word carp I think of something easy to catch. All you do is throw some bait out and keep reeling em in. Speaking of bait I have caught many carp using bait especially corn and dough with ground corn in it. hmmm..... Also I associate carp with water obviously. Also to my knowledge, most carp species don't migrate very far at all during the spawn so you can usually find them in the same place on numerous occations. So you see where im going with this? If one of these species is gonna be called carp deer , which I refuse to call either, it would in fact be the whitetail. I don't know about you guys but I think there are ten times as many coues deer shot over corn or bait than mule deer each year. All you got to do is throw corn out near the oaks and throw a camera up and a blind grab your bow, and like clockwork they will show up, some even give or take 10 min. If you guys have muleys coming in like crazy to bait I guess I will have to buy some from ya. Same goes with water. Whitetails for some reason water in my opinion far much more than mule deer do. Whitetails are much more predictable as well as always coming back to the same spot and not traveling far. I have seen mule deer bucks over 8 miles from where I first saw them. I don't know maybe everyone is refering to the taste. I have had great tasting deer from both species as well as bad. Sorry guys had to get this started. Thats just my two cents I hunt both species and love both but if any deer is a carp deer its a whitetail. Sorry admin.

Cool Buck...

Your thinking is Coy... however it does not ring true in the character of the beast. ;)

I would have to agree on a few things but not all.one they do water more frequently. And I have seen mule deer get all the water they need from barrel cactus. And they do travel a lot farther the the whitetail. But as for which deer is smarter and which deer uses there senses better I would have to give it to coues deer. And baiting with corn for coues in my opinion does not work that well. Maybe for other species of whitetail but not coues.I have actually used corn and molasses mix and it has work very well for mule deer. Yes they do move alot but not all the time. I have taken pictures of same mule deer that came in everynight for the week and a half on camera I had up on the feed. Coues to me seem to key more on mineral licks than anything. But as for carp deer never heard of them. Mule deer and coues are both equally difficult to hunt but i would still have to give it to Coues deer because they get eaten by Everything and mountains lions eat them like candy and that makes them very sketchy deer that are hard to hunt.

I always thought they called them carp cuz of looks? :unsure: Carp being ugly and all?? :D

All you got to do is throw corn out near the oaks and throw a camera up and a blind grab your bow, and like clockwork they will show up, some even give or take 10 min.

:lol:

I hope there is more to it than that. I haven't been able to do any good on the buck in my avatar the past 2 years. Maybe I should switch tactics to corn.

Guest super jumbo

Is this a loaded question or what? It seems most people are going to stay out of this one. I have run over 20 cams for a 5-6 year run in prime locations with the motherload of salt of all forms, and have yet to kill one of my big bucks i have on camera with a bow. When i hear someone say it is easy to kill a coues deer by just throwing salt on the ground like johny appleseed cruisin thru the forest it makes me cringe. What the heck am i doing wrong if i cant kill one of the many many giants on my cams so easily. I dont think it is that easy to kill the bigger coues deer on salt or anything for that matter. The little bucks frequent the stuff more often sure, but the big ones always throw us for a loop with the bow. I think(just an opinion) that during the rut, coues and mule deer are the same to hunt as far as smarts go, but coues are harder to see cause of their size. Outside the rut though i would have to give the edge (harder to hunt) to the mule deer by just a hair. The reason i say that, i think coues deer are the most patternable of the 2 deer. Coues deer (big bucks) are downright predictable at times, especially when you find a coues deer bucks "backyard". Mule deer have much bigger "backyards" than coues deer, and travel way farther in the rut than coues. As far as calling mule deer carp, dont lett it bother you cause i call them that occasionally out of a joke. Why do you think there are dudes with many many record book coues deer and none if any record book mule deer. There are boone and crockett mule deer sprinkled all over the state south of the ditch, but no one is killing them in any numbers. Dont get me wrong coues deer is the animal i spend more time chasing and looking at than all the other big game animals combined in our special state every year, but a big mule deer is a spectacle in itself. I enjoy hunting coues deer more though than all the other animals(disregarding mule deer hunts north of the big ditch), and looking at a new mature coues deer for the first time is like christmas time over and over.

Great feedback and opinions guys thanks. Yeah it just seems like everyone and their brother throws corn and feed out every summer then come August they slay giant coues bucks because they get them on a patern. I am talking straight archery here not rifle. Yes coues are harder to glass. In the rut, spot and stalk I personally think mule deer are more of a challenge. I guess I need to pick out a barrel cactus and wait for a mule deer to come and get water from it. Yeah from what I hear if your near oaks try corn. I think mule deer like salt or mineral licks more than coues because they have different nutritional requirements because of anatomy reasons. Yeah I don't know what to tell you about a buck that you have been after for multiple years, do you have multiple pics during a long time period? Or just a few sightings? Great coments Jumbo thanks.

Guest super jumbo

Great feedback and opinions guys thanks. Yeah it just seems like everyone and their brother throws corn and feed out every summer then come August they slay giant coues bucks because they get them on a patern. I am talking straight archery here not rifle. Yes coues are harder to glass. In the rut, spot and stalk I personally think mule deer are more of a challenge. I guess I need to pick out a barrel cactus and wait for a mule deer to come and get water from it. Yeah from what I hear if your near oaks try corn. I think mule deer like salt or mineral licks more than coues because they have different nutritional requirements because of anatomy reasons. Yeah I don't know what to tell you about a buck that you have been after for multiple years, do you have multiple pics during a long time period? Or just a few sightings? Great coments Jumbo thanks.

I have had and still have many 110 plus deer(2 or 3 over 120) on my cams. I get plenty of pics all the way thru the summer, but come around the middle of august every year all of the really big bucks pull of the salt or at least go nocturnal on us every year. I dont understand this, but it is what it is. We do though slam alot of these bucks in the rifle hunts within a mile or so of our cams, but bucks with archery have yet to be elusive. I dont think we put enough time in our archery stands, and is probably the overall reason why we dont get them with the bow.We could kill deer in the high 80s to 90s with our bows, but we want the big ones.

Anybody that consistently kills coues or muleys with a bow is putting the effert in and doing their homework. I prefer to spot and stock coues more than anything, love the terrain and area that they live in. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Anyone that kills either 1 with a bow deserves a congrats. We are all on the same team!

• Like 1

Guest super jumbo

Anybody that consistently kills coues or muleys with a bow is putting the effert in and doing their homework. I prefer to spot and stock coues more than anything, love the terrain and area that they live in. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Anyone that kills either 1 with a bow deserves a congrats. We are all on the same team!

Perfectly said +1 I think any coues deer with a bow is with out a doubt a trophy. I just really enjoy watching the deer grow up over a 3-5 year period, and once they get to around 95, you know its only going to be 2 or 3 more years before your dealing with something really special. I cant imagine living in a state that didnt have the little fellas.