Maybe this was mentioned already because I didn't have time to read all of the responses. They're "bottom feeders" like carp. Coues are typically in higher mountains while MD are down in the "bottom". That's the way I understand it. As far as which one is easier to kill? Neither and both, IMO.... Too many variables.

I've never seen a carp deer, but rock or cliff carp are found in many of Arizona's southern units, as well as all along the Colorado River from Yuma into Utah. They're the beautiful, but not-so-bright, four-legged critters with curled horns. They are curious to a fault. :D

Bill Quimby

I wanna know how these guys are getin deer with fishin poles?? be it carp or bluegill...or are they fishing while theyre supposed to be huntin'....can't figure it?? :huh:

I got my Coues tag..... and I don't care what they say on MM either.. I Do NOT need a fishing liscense to hunt deer... of any kind!!

And hey if people limit themselves to hunting one kind of deer, they are missing out......

My family never killed a coues deer until 08.. this year we all have AZ Coues tags though, (I think my truck sticker slowly brainwashed them)!! and of course the bow tag does not care what kind of antler it goes on in my hand.

Big, kinda fugly, fun to catch for kids or when nothing else is around, don't taste very good... ringin any bells?

They call 'em carp deer cause in this case the shoe just fits... :D

Me n my buddies sometimes compared the two to cottontail and jackrabbit. But carp deer is a good one also. No matter what the nickname I have a good time hunting both

Ok I'll bite, there is a lot of truth to what you said, but I think the term carp deer is just something whitetail hunters say to kind of poke fun at mule deer and try to distinguish themselves from a general deer hunter that will shoot either. It more refers to their preference for hunting the animal they love. As far as difficulty to hunt, well that depends. Typically because of the terrain whitetail live in, their size, and way of moving through the country they can be much harder to hunt. When it comes down to it, hunting a trophy class animal of either species is just a challenging as the other. Personally, I have a harder time putting a stalk on a whitetail than I do a mule deer. My 2.

Higher on the mountain?

Coues deer are GENERALLY in higher elevations. MD are TYPICALLY in lower elevations. I'm guessing you know this already. Are there exceptions? Sure. And let's assume that we're talking about from the Rim, South (where MOST of the Coues deer are located).

If I've ever called them carp, it was never to imply they're stupid and easier to hunt. In fact, I don't know if I've ever used the term unless I was quoting someone else.

I have a few friends in Northern AZ who like to take jabs at me because I like to chase "the little rabbit deer". You know, the deer "where you only get 30lbs of meat off of them"? I laugh. It doesn't bother me. The irony behind "the meat" comment is that many of them would pass up a 170 class buck to shoot a 180 buck. Why? Well, because of ALL of the extra meat you'll get, of course!!! ;) ;)

I'll probably hunt the easy, corn-fed, rabbit deer as long as I can. Then I'll move on to the road-huntable, dumb, carp deer to get my fix. But what am I going to do with all of that red meat when I'm that old (insert sarcasm)??

A better analogy would be a coues to cotton tail rabbit, mulie to jack. A jack has big floppy ears, gallop run or hop and larger then the cotton tail. Also a cotton tail is more of a grey tone as the jack is more brown... And from what I here a cotton tail taste way better then jack. So flop ear is more suitable.. Lol good fun

Even the rabbits have similar tails to the deer... Haha cotton with white ...

I always figured it was just a funny 'tongue in cheek' expression used by hard-core coues fanatics in reference to the muleys!! What does it mean? Well, what is a Carp usually associated with when fishing? A big old nasty thing, that you would generally not want to catch! ;) :lol:

All in good fun, for sure! ;)

S.

:)

who cares. coues guys call mule deer. mule guy call coues deer "dog deer" ford chevy. snapon matco. football baseball.

why is this in the bowhunting for coues section.

who cares. coues guys call mule deer. mule guy call coues deer "dog deer" ford chevy. snapon matco. football baseball.

why is this in the bowhunting for coues section.

Sorry OZ didn't mean to make you so upset. Maybe I put in in the bowhunting section because a significant amount of whitetails are shot from a treestand or blind. I was addressing the when people calling mule deer carp deer, but also using bait to kill whitetails and how they too could also be called carp deer in my opinion. I partake in both but I was just seeing some opinions