Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

MoreMo Elk

After Monday's trip to Mormon Lake, I decided to drive south of Flagstaff again to seek the wapiti of Mormon Lake and take in the bountiful flowers again. A group of 5 bulls were up feeding in the wide open, so rather than waste a stalk and push them away, Rica and I took in the golden carpet on the lake bed.

Ed800FlowerBandsMormonLake8.jpg

Ed800RicaMormonFlowers-8-20.jpg

Ed800MormonLake8-3-11_125.jpg

After inhaling our daily dose of pollen, I noticed that the bull elk had bedded in the tall grass out in the lake bed. So with Rica under the camper shell and 300mm lens attached, I simply walked towards the bedded elk with the wind in my favor. Guess on heard me walking through the grass about 100 yards out and stood to stare my direction. Oh well, I just ventured towards them in an unstealthy manner again until the second of the two bigger bulls in the group also got up. Took a few shots as the five milled around before they barked and trotted away.

Ed800ElkMormonLake8-3-11_14.jpg

Ed800ElkMormonLake8-3-11_15.jpg

After walking back to the truck, we drove to another area and found about 8 bulls together in an opening. With the sky overcast with rain clouds and being 20 minutes before sunset, the light was not the best for photographing. The non-typical in this group may make some hunter pretty happy this fall.

Ed800ElkTrioMormonLake8-3-1.jpg

Ed800ElkNTMormonLake8-3-11_.jpg

With the bulls gone after the wind shifted 180*, a quick stop at the inlet to Upper Lake Mary afforded a sunset image.

Ed800ULM-SunsetMormonLake8-.jpg

Doug

Again, you've taken some increadible photos. Thanks for posting these and all the others that you do. They are great photos.

You're pictures are torturing me Doug!! Sincere thanks for letting me see the beauty that is out there in the world, while I'm sitting here slaving away in my 'cube/office'! ;)

S.

:)

PS: I think that first picture is amazing! Love the rainbow of flower colors......

Thanks for the comments. I would like to photo that NT again before he rubs the velvet and disappears into the forest. The hard part will be getting lucky and seeing him again.

Stan, this should be a nice weekend to take the kids camping. I had taken a photo of that flower "rainbow" on Monday, but somehow managed to cut off the tops of the trees :( . Of course, that was the needed reason to return to Mormon Lake ;) .

Larry, no, I forget the decoy. The first ones were bedded in the tall grass and could not see, so I just walked out into the lake bed. The second group was only 200 yards from a rancher's camp and a running generator. I walked towards them trying to keep a tree in between. Light was failing fast, so I moved quickly.

Doug

Can't wait for the next go-round. :)

TJ