Sign in to follow this  
aztrucky

lion on trail cam

Maybe some of you lion hunters can help me out, I got pictures of this cat on july 30th(I forgot to reset the cam when I changed the batteries so the date on the pic is wrong) Is this a fairly young lion I've had cams in this canyon for a while and this is my first pic of him. I'm thinking if he is young he may be getting ready to set up shop in my deer honey hole and he needs to go. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. p.s. the knife is 3 1/2"

post-5654-0-80686200-1312661040_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-22437900-1312661066_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-97604600-1312661134_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-78030500-1312661158_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-63139600-1312661195_thumb.jpg

Maybe some of you lion hunters can help me out, I got pictures of this cat on july 30th(I forgot to reset the cam when I changed the batteries so the date on the pic is wrong) Is this a fairly young lion I've had cams in this canyon for a while and this is my first pic of him. I'm thinking if he is young he may be getting ready to set up shop in my deer honey hole and he needs to go. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. p.s. the knife is 3 1/2"

Try predator calling throughout your canyon area. Lions always seem to be moving unless they are on a kill, but if the cat is around, and it is a "young one" it will likely respond to a call.

• Like 1

Could be a female from the look of the track. I hunt deer, elk, upland game, and bear and lion with hounds. I kinda wonder why the lion has to go because it might threaten your deer honey hole. Seems like it might have a right to the place as well as you do. I'm not trying to come across in the wrong way here...just wonder how long folks like me will have the privelege of seeing lions in the wild...by the way I have never killed one...just photos and I don't have a problem with those who do kill one, but the mentality that says I'm a deer hunter so the lion has to go kinda bothers me. Hope I don't offend here...that was'nt my intent. Just setting up late thinkin too much I reckon.

• Like 1

Could be a female from the look of the track. I hunt deer, elk, upland game, and bear and lion with hounds. I kinda wonder why the lion has to go because it might threaten your deer honey hole. Seems like it might have a right to the place as well as you do. I'm not trying to come across in the wrong way here...just wonder how long folks like me will have the privelege of seeing lions in the wild...by the way I have never killed one...just photos and I don't have a problem with those who do kill one, but the mentality that says I'm a deer hunter so the lion has to go kinda bothers me. Hope I don't offend here...that was'nt my intent. Just setting up late thinkin too much I reckon.

No offense taken, I get what your saying, and understand the gap between that lion on camera and me getting in bow range of it is very wide. Bet on the lion.

What exactly do you mean by "just wonder how long folks like me will have the privelege of seeing lions in the wild"

Art a lion can take out a deer a week so that's fifty two deer a year from just one lion. And u must not spend to much time in the wild cuz there are lions all over the place. seen my share and get pics of them all the time. I know a guide that takes out clients to only a few units and in one year he guided forty successful hunters. And that's from one guide and one unit. I hunt the same unit he guided that in and I still see and get pics of lions every year. So do the math on what fourth lions would do to a deer herd. I have watch a few places and seen the deer population drop by huge numbers and only from one lion. Just this week I found three lion kills. So yes that lion does got to go. It will take out a lot of deer if it doesn't go. And for Coues deer they get eatin up like candy.

just looking at it, it looks like an adult male. head and shoulders don't look like a female. probably 100 lbs or so. he ain't a real old or real big one, but he can be if he makes it long enough. healthy looking cat too. and don't worry about all the lions getting killed off. there are plenty o' lions. you should buy a tag every year when you buy your license and if you see one you should shoot it. great trophy. neat animal. and they are real sneaky and you see even one that ain't up a tree, you're real fortunate. Lark.

No offense taken, I get what your saying, and understand the gap between that lion on camera and me getting in bow range of it is very wide. Bet on the lion.

I like your attitude, aztrucky. Not takin' offense goes a long way 'round here (and in life). Not that you needed me to tell you that. Welcome aboard. If your arrow does connect with that lion, you better post the pics here!

-Jimmer

couesdeerhntr- First of all, go read a book. Second, unless you were physically with your "buddy" on those 40 lions from one unit in a year, please don’t come on here with that BS. It's insulting to those of us that hunt lions and know the reality of it.

And that is a complete generalization and an old wives tale that lion kills a deer a week.

Biologists have been collaring and following and studying lions for plenty of years now and have found that is just not the case. The numbers are more like 10-12 large mammals a year a lion will take. The rest of the time they are catching rabbits, skunks, rats, turkeys, squirrels, coyotes, scavenging dead animals, and whatever else they come across.

Not trying to hijack the thread here but we need to try and cut down on the fantasy world some of us create just regurgitating some statement we heard in a BS session.

aztrucky- Cool Pics!! Its hard to say for sure but that appears to be an adult male lion from the pictures, and tracks in mud and sand can be misleading sometimes as to the true size of the animal.

Here are a couple instances of lions taking other game...

Here is a badger that was killed by an adult tom lion and the tom visiting his kill.

post-192-0-19128900-1312916424_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-47151800-1312916403_thumb.jpg

Here is a deer kill we found. We caught a female lion that had a kitten with her, so we let her go. Came back the next day to the kill and the lions had caught and fed on a coyote and buried it next to their deer kill. Pretty neat.

post-192-0-59336400-1312916627_thumb.jpg

couesdeerhntr- First of all, go read a book. Second, unless you were physically with your "buddy" on those 40 lions from one unit in a year, please don’t come on here with that BS. It's insulting to those of us that hunt lions and know the reality of it.

And that is a complete generalization and an old wives tale that lion kills a deer a week.

Biologists have been collaring and following and studying lions for plenty of years now and have found that is just not the case. The numbers are more like 10-12 large mammals a year a lion will take. The rest of the time they are catching rabbits, skunks, rats, turkeys, squirrels, coyotes, scavenging dead animals, and whatever else they come across.

Not trying to hijack the thread here but we need to try and cut down on the fantasy world some of us create just regurgitating some statement we heard in a BS session.

aztrucky- Cool Pics!! Its hard to say for sure but that appears to be an adult male lion from the pictures, and tracks in mud and sand can be misleading sometimes as to the true size of the animal.

Here are a couple instances of lions taking other game...

Here is a badger that was killed by an adult tom lion and the tom visiting his kill.

post-192-0-19128900-1312916424_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-47151800-1312916403_thumb.jpg

Here is a deer kill we found. We caught a female lion that had a kitten with her, so we let her go. Came back the next day to the kill and the lions had caught and fed on a coyote and burried it next to their deer kill. Pretty neat.

post-192-0-59336400-1312916627_thumb.jpg

Veery cool, thanks.

Very cool pictures. I've only seen two lions in the wild and they were stalking, pouncing and chasing each other around a hillside. They didn't have spots but were sure acting like kittens. It was one of the coolest outdoor moments of my life. Now others on here may disagree, but I don't think I'm so much of a mystical, tree-hugging, hippie freak to say that I won't have a lion tag next time I go to that particular area. But I'm thankful for that experience nonetheless and hope to have more like it.

The picture of the dead deer and coyote raise interesting questions. For example, although lions kill some deer, how many deer did the lion save by killing the coyote?

Hahahahahaha!! Very Good Jimmer Negamanee!

Very cool pictures. I've only seen two lions in the wild and they were stalking, pouncing and chasing each other around a hillside. They didn't have spots but were sure acting like kittens. It was one of the coolest outdoor moments of my life. Now others on here may disagree, but I don't think I'm so much of a mystical, tree-hugging, hippie freak to say that I won't have a lion tag next time I go to that particular area. But I'm thankful for that experience nonetheless and hope to have more like it.

The picture of the dead deer and coyote raise interesting questions. For example, although lions kill some deer, how many deer did the lion save by killing the coyote?

i bet that lion licked it's butt till it bled tryin' to get the taste o' that coyote outta it's mouth. Lark.