Ace High Benny

HUGE W / T Buck Spotted!

Time: Aug. 12 / 2011 around 05:15 PM

A HUGE buck came running into the Gallery Sports Club in Dove Mountain / Marana. Stopped right behind the tennis courts, checked me out standing about 60 yards from me and disappeared by the time I got into my truck and back with my camera phone!

Rarely in the units I hunt have a seen such a big one. Too bad I couldn't get a picture.

I don't even think that the area is in a hunting unit.

AHB

Time: Aug. 12 / 2011 around 05:15 PM

A HUGE buck came running into the Gallery Sports Club in Dove Mountain / Marana. Stopped right behind the tennis courts, checked me out standing about 60 yards from me and disappeared by the time I got into my truck and back with my camera phone!

Rarely in the units I hunt have a seen such a big one. Too bad I couldn't get a picture.

I don't even think that the area is in a hunting unit.

AHB

Should have been lookin for deer instead of playing tennis :huh:

Was that you in the short, Jimmy Connors, white shorts on the tennis courts??? Those white legs were whiter than the whitetail...

that should be 37a and it is closed in early archery season.

but nice find sit the courts in jan.

Would be very surprised to see a whitetail in that area. Have seen a few mulies, but just not the eleveation or landscape for whitetails.

Would be very surprised to see a whitetail in that area. Have seen a few mulies, but just not the eleveation or landscape for whitetails.

Thats what I was thinking.

I live right around the corner from this location and I believe that there was almost zero chance for a whitey to be there. I've heard of wt being out in the Rail X area as of late. So who knows....

I believe I read somewhere that the historical range of the coues whitetail in Arizona included the Tortolita mountains, the Pichaco mountains and the Ajo mountains. And although it might not look very "couesey" to you now, in wet years, or periods, they will move back into those areas.

Maybe Amanda knows more about this..., But I do have a friend who has actually seen Coues in these mountain ranges a few years back.

We hunted all over the Tortolita Mountains in the 1950s and early 1960s and never saw or heard of any indication that there had ever been a whitetail on that mountain. We did take some good mule deer and many javelinas there, though.

Don't know about the Ajo and Picacho mountains, but we did see whitetails when we hunted javelinas in the Sand Tanks near Gila Bend when I was a boy.

Bill Quimby

The Wildlife manager for the area surveyed some whitetail in there last year, and it was wt buck chasing a md doe or a md buck chasing a wt doe. Either way it means the population of WT is low and the chance of a hybrid is there.

If they are in there, I would expect only on the eastern most side of the range. Even that would surprise me. Seen plenty of pigs. Usually full of cholla cactus.

There are some nice coues bucks in 37a... I see them every year hunting pigs