standman

Two January Archery Bucks

Well, yesterday my dad and I went hunting into one of our favorite spots and we got pretty lucky. It all started off yesterday morning when my dad dropped me off on one end of my favorite ridges so I could stalk it while he drove to the other end to pick me up. At 8:00 am I spotted this buck chasing a doe. I eased in on him and proceed to miss him at about 35 yards. Well the buck run off and I thought I screwed up. So I went up to find my arrow and I as I got there I saw the doe feeding about 10 yards from me. So I waited, watching her for about 10 minutes when I saw the buck coming back down the ridge towards the doe. He crossed in front of me but it was too thick for a shot. All this time the doe was still no farther than 10 yards from me. I kept waiting and finally the buck came around a thicket behind the doe. He was 20 yards away but facing me. So I was waiting again for a good opportunity. Finally he turned broadside and I drew. Well he saw me draw and he turned straight away from me and started walking away, so I waited full draw for him to turn. At 25 yards he finally turned angling away and I released and hit him right in the last rib and it angle forward through the opposite shoulder. I marked where I hit him and decided to let him go a little while. After a little time I followed him and he only went about 45 yards. Here are some pictures of him.

100_0220.jpg

100_0221.jpg

100_0223.jpg

Now to my dad's buck. After I shot mine, we decided to go check some places where we may be able to set up a groundblind for my dad to sit. The first place we stopped to go check we got out of the truck and was gathering our stuff when I looked over and spotted a doe about 25 yards away from us. So we went looking a little harder a spotted a buck. He was in a thicket about 30 yards away. So my dad moved into position and ranged the buck and he proceeded to shoot right underneath him. He jumped a few steps and then stopped. The doe never moved so the buck didnt want to leave her behind. My dad nocked another arrow and the buck moved a few steps. My dad repositioned himself to find a lane to the buck. When he found a lane he released and drilled his buck. The buck went down within site. Not bad for a 67 year old. Here are some pictures of his buck.

100_0026.jpg

100_0025.jpg

100_0217.jpg

Thanks

Brian

That's great! Congratulations on your bucks. What a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us. Can I assume that 29 paid off again? I guess the rut was happening.

Grumpy! ;) Yeah just before I took the pic he just realized he was done deer hunting in Arizona for the year. :o :lol:

When I first saw yours I thought wow 2nd nice buck in a few months then I saw your dads. Wow you need to bring me to this spot. ;)

Congratulations to both of you, you and your dad can sit back and enjoy for the whole year.

those are nice bucks! your dads buck has some serious tine length! your buck looks like my buck from 2 years ago, is he a 2x3?

Incredible! ;)

2 very respectable bucks, with bow, in the same day, in the same family. As good as it gets. :lol: -Shiras

Dang..........You and your old man both got great lookin bucks :lol: Congrats to you guys ;)

firstcoueswas80, yeah my buck is a 2x3. He started to grow a third point but it just didnt happen. AZHuntinMom, no haven't taped them yet and wont be able to till Monday when I get the antlers back from the taxidermist. And thanks everyone else for the kind comments.

Brian

Guest Ernesto C

Wow God bless you both a lot more!! super nice bucks man.............not bad for a 67 year old?? heck man not bad for a hunter any age. Two thumbs waaaayy up for you two and a big congratulations.

Ernesto C

What a great pair of buck's ;) Great job guy's and the great think is you did it with your dad. Not everyone can do that.

Congrats

Indio