Sign in to follow this  
hallagan

19A Rifle Success

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but I pulled this tag with only 6 bonus points. Was guided by Michael Vicente of Big Chino Outfitters, they had this buck spotted from muzzleloader the week before. The evening before opening day we went back out and glassed him in his draw with two does. Back early opening morning and he was within 1/2 mile of where we left him the night before. Started the first stalk, creeping and crawling. They fed towards us and we were planted and ready to go. The does and buck crested a small swale just 50 yds away, but there was a cactus between him and me: I couldn't move, the cactus wouldn't move, and the buck backed away. So, take a pause and get ready for the second stalk. Took a long loop around and watched from around 400 yds as a small busk tried to take his does and then he stole five from another herd which had crested a hill 600 yds to our west. Now he's happy, got seven girlfriends, and was content to stay put. We're low crawling again and close to 200 yards, but then we're stuck. Michael pulled out a decoy and that was just enough to get everyone's interest. They ran and circled to be downwind of us, crossing about 150 yards to our left. When he caught our scent, he stopped to figure things out - a one shot from a 243 put an end to things.

post-3546-0-92745500-1315707208_thumb.jpg

Excellent buck, congrats! How about a few more pics, and a score ;)

He'll go about a little less than 84 inches. He's 16 inches on each side, the paddles are both 6 and 5/8 inches. There was only a 3/8 deduction for asymmetry. I liked him because he's really the textbook picture of a pronghorn.

post-3546-0-54755600-1315757140_thumb.jpg

post-3546-0-86928300-1315757151_thumb.jpg

Excellent buck. Mass looks great all the way. Prongs are impressive. Score...? Oh I see the score now.

Great buck! I drew a tag after only 2 bonus points.:P

Very nice buck. Thanks for the story and the pics. :)

TJ

Great buck! I'm pretty sure I've got pics of your buck from scouting prior to the muzzy season, I'll check to see. Thanks for the writeup and congrats! JIM>