Sign in to follow this  
missedagain

Pork Fat

I've gotten it at Albertson's before. They generate some pork fat when cutting shouders into country style ribs, so a week when they've got CS ribs as their lost leader, there's a good chance they may be have an excess of pork fat to give away or sell.

It's much harder to come by than beef fat I've noticed.

Pork shoulder's are pretty cheap @ Costco or Sam's, so often times I'll just blend Ground pork shoulder 50/50 with game meat when making sausage and it still comes out very lean compared to commercial products.

Good luck,

Schmitty

Just another thing to add. Another thing I use to add a little fat and flavor to hamburger or sausage are bacon ends and pieces. You can get them at some grocery stores and/or costco or Sams and they typically come in a bulk package. Really adds some nice smokey flavor to whatever your making.

Jay

Just another thing to add. Another thing I use to add a little fat and flavor to hamburger or sausage are bacon ends and pieces. You can get them at some grocery stores and/or costco or Sams and they typically come in a bulk package. Really adds some nice smokey flavor to whatever your making.

Jay

+ 1

I make a a lot of bacon burger with bacon ends and pieces . I get mine in 3 pound packages that are priced quite a bit cheaper than sliced Bacon.

I cut it in at a ratio 1 to 4 in my grind if it's fairly lean bacon. Less if it's fatty . Makes good burgers , tacos and anything else you would use ground meat for.

I also have used fatty pork shoulder and pork butt out the grocery store meat case for sausage grind. Works good .

My wife loves venision Bacon burger !

That's What's for dinner tonight ! B)

I've got a freezer full of pork fat from all the pigs my buddy raised this year... we will be putting it in all our elk/deer Burger and Sausage for the rest of the year....I kinda hord it because I have found that if I add 20% suet to my grind meat, my wife will use it like store bought burger... and if I don't it doesn't get eaten. :rolleyes: Best of luck... If you know someone butchering home grown pigs that is the best you will find, IMO. ;)

Used several different ways to add suet, pork or beef, to game for burger or sausage, have had the butcher at Albertson's save if for me, bribed him with a pack of elk sausage, I have hit Costco on Sunday's, they have ground pork that I have added to game to make sausage, either 70/30 or 50/50 game to pork, or bought a fatty pork butt and ground it up. Have ground up game with 70/30 burger or as pointed out 1 lb bacon to 3 lbs game. Lot of different ways to do it, nowadays I add pork to make sausage and just grind up game for burger.

Does anybody know a good place to get clean pork fat, it seems most of the butchers don't process their own pork?

Thank you

I should have some in two weeks when I butcher two hogs. You are welcome to it. I live in Flagstaff.

Does anybody know a good place to get clean pork fat, it seems most of the butchers don't process their own pork?

Thank you

I should have some in two weeks when I butcher two hogs. You are welcome to it. I live in Flagstaff.

Thanks everyone, we got my dads elk butchered up yesterday. Mostly we used beef fat but we bought some fatty pork shoulder to mix with some of the sausage so we will see how it turns out. Bryce Canyon I'm very intersted in that I'll send you a pm.

Thanks.

Good ideas...never head of bacon ends and peices...sounds like something I want to add to my burgers.

You won't be Sorry !!! B)

Everyone's reconmendations are right. It's all good. I use mostly beef suet, fat, with my elk but have used pork before. The ratio is your personal preference. I personally found that we like 25% suet added to elk and deer for hamburg and 50/50 pork butt or whatever is on sale for javelina. It's getting that time of year again so good luck to everyone on your hunts. :)

TJ

anymore, we don't add any fat to the HB we make. in fact we trim every bit of fat and sinew and gristle we can off it before it hits the grinder. a lot better for you and it is great for most of what we use it for. mexican food, like tacos and enchiladas stuff and it makes real good meatballs for sketty and is great in lasagnia too. excellent in stuffed bell peppers. anything like that, it works great. makes a great burger if you fry it. don't work too good on the grill. another thing we started doing too is the stuff that is hard to bone and has a lotta sinew and stuff, like skinny little lower legs and necks and ribs and stuff it to take it all and stuff it in a big pan and stick it in the oven for 12 hours or so. you can shake the meat off the bone and you get every bit of it and the sinew and stuff just cooks away and makes it real juicy. then take it and put it in the vacuum sealer in bunches of however much you want to use and freeze it. my wife usually makes some of into green chili and the rest she just seasons with salt, pepper and minced onions. you really realize a lot more meat and it is really good stuff. the necks have become one of our favorite chunks off anything. Lark.