Sign in to follow this  
jhedg

Glassing

new to the Coues hunting out here, My question is when you get to a good spot, for glassing, I mean where you can see a long way in every direction, how long do you give the spot before you move to another area and start glassing again

might be able to stay there all day and just concentrate on different areas as the day progresses. so much affects deer movement. moon, wind, sun, hunting pressure. you might sit in a spot for 2 hours and not see much of anything and leave only to have possibly seen 6 - 7 bucks a few hours later.

+1 to sundevil

I've sat and glassed to think there was nothing there, then have deer appear from out of no where two minutes later in the same spot i had glassed 20x already.

If you know there are deer in the area, keep looking and you'll eventually find them it just might take some time.

Don't give up too fast!

As the shade moves late morning - afternoon so will the deer. So a deer that was bedded that you might have overlooked could easily stand up and be spotted later. I usually do move after glassing southern facing slopes after a couple hours in the morning, re-positioning or moving to glass shady areas and northern facing slopes. but dont get me wrong I have seen a lot of deer on souther facing slopes later in the day but not usually as many. Most of the deer I spot are in areas I have already glassed thoroughly at least once.

I personally think alot of hunters are too impatient. First, do your homework. If there is fresh sign and the terrain is right, be confident. Don't give up too soon. Look for deer parts, not the whole deer. Legs, antlers, a swishy tail, and ears. I have spotted alot of deer because the twitched thier ear. Good hunting :)

Geez I just got schooled in glassing. I met up with JohnO for tucson to check out a area and I think he found every deer out there not giving me a chance!!! Ha ha patience is key!!!!! Way to go JohnO!

Lots of good information here. something to think about is the size of these deer as well.... they're small. consider the distance you're glassing and imagine what they're gonna look like in your glasses when you see them. if you're using lower magnification glasses and glassing long distances, the deer are gonna be small and more difficult to glass.

a lot of times in late nov/dec, I can have a difficult time finding deer at that golden hour in the AM. seem to hold up for an hour or two then start moving and feeding real well.

just overall lots of variables. everything on here is something to consider. pressure, wind, temperature, available feed, water sources.... lots of things. the best thing for you is gonna be time on the ground and time behind the glasses. glassin up coues deer can be a blast but at the same time a pain in the neck; especially when you know they're there. have fun. good luck.

When I scout I am up and down multiple hills seeing what they offer for glassing and overall views of the terrain. Come hunting time I will hit what I feel is the best one and may stay there all day. Hunting pressure also has an impact, been beat to my Plan A glassing spot more that once, that's why you have Plans B, C, etc.

I tend to hunt closer to the pressure (other hunters) on the first day or two, get high and use the other hunters as beaters, they will kick out a lot of deer and not even know they did it. As the season progresses and the deer head to the inaccessible (no roads) parts of the unit I move that way.

What I was told by my Dad who is great behind some binos is look for rabbits....with that being said it means look for little things and not a deer in the sunlight. A lot of people will stop glassing at 8 or 9 in the morning. it depends on the moon as well. all deer will get up when the shade changes. as soon as the sun hits that buck more than likely he will move or at least stand to be seen. all I can say and what I tell people is "when you want to leave to another spot give the spot your at 30 more minutes"

Mark

I like your description.

I have sat for a couple of hours and looked at the same object under a tree that I was sure was a deer but he did not move the entire time and then finally picked his head up. A little while later the sun was low enough that I could see him with my bare eye but in the middle of the day with no shadows he was almost invisible. My point is even from the same spot you get a whole differnt view as the day goes on and the light changes and they can stay still for a very long time.

The most important thing to have is one of those comfortable D-wedge seats. For the most part if you stay put good things will come. I've been glassing looking at the same hillside for hours and just when I had enough they appear out of now where. If you can get comfortable you can stay put.