Sign in to follow this  
elkhutnaz

Kaibab early rifle tag

Drew early east side tag, headed up the 16th or 17th for the whole hunt, just wondering who else is headed up? spent 4 days up there in Sept scouting and looking forward to getting back up there..Good luck to all Andy

Drew early east side tag, headed up the 16th or 17th for the whole hunt, just wondering who else is headed up? spent 4 days up there in Sept scouting and looking forward to getting back up there..Good luck to all Andy

I have the same tag as you, ill be heading up the 19th for the whole hunt as well.. Good luck to you.

Also headed up on the 19th. Scouted a couple days before, otherwise first hunt up there. 12AE

Took the glassing class with Duwane. However, not clear on what my mix should be on glassing vs. moving. Seems Duwane is a glass and move kind of guy, but he has probably dozens of good spots to check out.

I have scouted the unit, but you could spend months scouting the unit. I take it I should stick to the burn areas, but are there any other good glassing spots outside the burn?

Anyway, if I have a good spot, should I stick with it for an hour? Two hours? All day and hope something moves in or gets bumped in by other hunters?

In my past hunts, I seem to get wandering legs and cover lots of ground but not really see much. Curious what people on guided hunts do? Are they glassing from the truck? Walking a little or a lot to new spots and glassing from there?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Brother n law and I both have a tag headed up sat. night staying till the end. Plan on getting a deer before that hopefully.Good luck to all

I was up there this past weekend. 4-6" of snow between Jacob Lake and the park entrance.

Also headed up on the 19th. Scouted a couple days before, otherwise first hunt up there. 12AE

Took the glassing class with Duwane. However, not clear on what my mix should be on glassing vs. moving. Seems Duwane is a glass and move kind of guy, but he has probably dozens of good spots to check out.

I have scouted the unit, but you could spend months scouting the unit. I take it I should stick to the burn areas, but are there any other good glassing spots outside the burn?

Anyway, if I have a good spot, should I stick with it for an hour? Two hours? All day and hope something moves in or gets bumped in by other hunters?

In my past hunts, I seem to get wandering legs and cover lots of ground but not really see much. Curious what people on guided hunts do? Are they glassing from the truck? Walking a little or a lot to new spots and glassing from there?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Pick an area.. park and glass your way in... spend all morning working in and glassing. 15-60 minutes and then on the next pocket or rise... We ate lunch in camp ot at Jacob's Lake Lodge everyday and brought home a good buck for my Wife last early hunt... It was COLD!!! Best of Luck! Here is a lnk to our Bab trip last year....

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21876&st=0&p=228307&fromsearch=1entry228307

Best of luck!

You have a great tag and a good opportunity to see some awesome bucks.

Enjoy your time up there and take it all in.

I was up there this past weekend. 4-6" of snow between Jacob Lake and the park entrance.

I have a 12B tag so maybe if the plateau gets some more snow in a week or so maybe a few deer will move down lower into 12B (fingers crossed).

Stinks. Not much of a change for the rest of the week either so the deer may not move down into 12B for a while. I proably won't hunt the first half of the hunt.

Lucky you - great tag! I've been trying for 5 years to get in. I'm sure you'll bring back a monster!