Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Flip up scope covers

I have had Butler Creek flip up scope caps on my rifle for ten years and have loved them. Last year I bought a new scope and outfitted it with Butler Creek covers. The second day of my deer hunt I looked down and saw the cover for the eye piece had completely broken off. I figured it was a fluke since I had good luck with them in the past. I bought a new cover and figured I would be good to go for my elk hunt. Day 2 of the elk hunt the same thing happened. I ended up making some ugly scope cover out of duct tape to protect my beloved scope for the rest of the hunt. I did call the company to complain and they sent me a new one. I was planning to buy Butler Creek covers as a backup for my hunts this year, but after reading the customer reviews I am rethinking that plan. Apparently the majority of people who bought old Butler Creek and new Butler Creek scope caps found the same thing I did. They started to make an absolutely crappy product to save a few pennies. Not a very good business model if you ask me. Has anyone had good luck with other flip up covers? I saw Nightforce made one that was similar in design to the Butler Creek. Leupold makes an aluminum screw in cover that looks awesome (and pricy), but I don't think it would fit my Zeiss scope.

What do you notice different between the old and new versions? What part is breaking?

I think they are using a different type of plastic. The small plastic arm that connects the lens cover to the spring mechanism is averaging 2 trips before breaking. My old ones never broke after years of use.

I have had a set for 3 years with no problems. I love them

Ill have to watch now

THANK YOU!!! I thought I was just hard on stuff! I've had 2 sets for going on 15 years and they are rock solid and I love them. The last 5 or 6 pairs I've bought (all in the last few years) have broken within one hunt. I actually gave up on them and went back to the crappy bungy ones they send with from the factory. I don't think the leupold covers fit anything else, or I would have them, haven't heard of the nightforce ones. I would gladly pay $50-100 for a set that actually work and won't break, wish I'da bought a supply of them back when they were good I guess!

THANK YOU!!! I thought I was just hard on stuff! I've had 2 sets for going on 15 years and they are rock solid and I love them. The last 5 or 6 pairs I've bought (all in the last few years) have broken within one hunt. I actually gave up on them and went back to the crappy bungy ones they send with from the factory. I don't think the leupold covers fit anything else, or I would have them, haven't heard of the nightforce ones. I would gladly pay $50-100 for a set that actually work and won't break, wish I'da bought a supply of them back when they were good I guess!

Guess I got the good stuff! barely made the cut

I have had Butler Creek flip up scope caps on my rifle for ten years and have loved them. Last year I bought a new scope and outfitted it with Butler Creek covers. The second day of my deer hunt I looked down and saw the cover for the eye piece had completely broken off. I figured it was a fluke since I had good luck with them in the past. I bought a new cover and figured I would be good to go for my elk hunt. Day 2 of the elk hunt the same thing happened. I ended up making some ugly scope cover out of duct tape to protect my beloved scope for the rest of the hunt. I did call the company to complain and they sent me a new one. I was planning to buy Butler Creek covers as a backup for my hunts this year, but after reading the customer reviews I am rethinking that plan. Apparently the majority of people who bought old Butler Creek and new Butler Creek scope caps found the same thing I did. They started to make an absolutely crappy product to save a few pennies. Not a very good business model if you ask me. Has anyone had good luck with other flip up covers? I saw Nightforce made one that was similar in design to the Butler Creek. Leupold makes an aluminum screw in cover that looks awesome (and pricy), but I don't think it would fit my Zeiss scope.

I've been looking online and can't find any scope covers by NightForce. Just the Butler Creek one's and the Leupold one's. I bought some BC one's for my new Vortex scope but already think they are kinda flimsy. Vortex makes some but they are the Killflash type that I'm not sure I want or need.

I have used the Bushwacker Optic Covers for years and they hold up very well. They make sizes for scopes and binoculars. I bought mine at Eagle Optics.

Used to love them until I had the same experience you described. Now I just put a scopecoat on instead and save my frustration for something else.

I had the same problems recently. I even tried both the see through ones as well as the solid ones. The see through ones barely made it out of the store before they broke. I know guys with the older ones, and they don't have any problems. I am thinking the scopecoat is the way to go too.

Scope coat? Is that just like the neoprene covers?

I have found that there are a lot of products having the same problem. Everything is being built in China, and I haven't found anything yet that was made in China to be of good quality. A lot of products that I used to love are being manufactured in China lately, and are of poor quality. If it is made in China I will usually do without it.

Are you leaving the caps open while hunting?

I have them closed unless I am set up somewhere and am not moving. My problems have been with the eye piece cover. I think the force from the spring causes the cap to accelerate too much when you open it. The momentum of the lid is too much for the little flimsy plastic arm to stop without breaking. I was trying to think of a way to reinforce the arm before I use it. Maybe mold a piece of a paper clip to the arm and epoxy it for added support. I love the convenience of the things and am sad they are not made like they use to be.

I just had an idea. I am going to wrap the arm with fly tying thread and epoxy the thread after I am done. Maybe I will even put a small bit of paper clip under the thread. If it holds up better I will let everyone know.