Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Let's Hear It For The 35's!

To all my fellow "Leftover Lovers", I am needing a fix! I have been trying to do searches for posts related to 35 A and B hunts and it gets frustrating because I know there's been more posts then what I'm finding!

We've killed a bunch of deer on leftover tags and I consider myself a "Leftover Lover" and perfectly fine with that! I'll take the scraps anyday and I'm excited as heck about my "scrap" 35A tag this year! These hunts are tough and after each "buck-less" day I spend in these units i'm reminded of why there's leftover tags available every year! Despite the buck-less or no-deer-days, I still love these hunts, the challenge of them, the beautiful country and how rewarding it is when you finally find and kill a buck is awesome!

So, help me get my fix and post up any stories or pics that you have of hunts in the 35's, leftover or not and regardless whether it's been posted before or not, I wanna see em'! :D

Thanks, JIM> aka... "Leftover Lover"!

So how bout it Jim? You still a "leftover lover"?

I just got back from Mexico scouting ranches so I haven't been hunting AZ yet. My leftover hunt starts this Friday and although I am excited for it I'm also sick now so that's gonna suck! Hopefully I can shake it before Friday! I've never had to eat a leftover tag, but even if I do on this years hunt, I'll still be a leftover lover! You just can't beat a guaranteed tag! One day we'll no longer have this opportunity and we'll be wishing we did! I'll post up a big story with pics when I return, kill or not! JIM>

Alright, I just got home from 35A and I'm seriously trying really hard to say i'm still a "leftover lover" but I just got done with the hardest coues hunt I've ever seen!!! I can still say I haven't eaten leftover tag soup, but I can also say that I glassed my A$$ off for 4 days through hurricanes and blizzards and I never glassed up a buck! I chased down the only buck I saw yesterday evening, which is the smallest i've ever killed, and hammered em' just to end the misery and go home.

I still love the leftover tags, I just picked the wrong one to buy this year. The hardest weather to hunt Coues in is high winds and that's exactly what we had the whole time! I HATE WIND....but, i still love the leftover tags ;) JIM>

Jim,

You promised pics and write up! I'm sure with your picture taking ability and your standard 10 feet behind the animal the thing will look like a 90 for sure. Come on lets see the little bugger. Don't be that trophy guy.

I agree Jim...that was a rough hunt with all the wind. Had every type of precipitation possible too. Would have been okay with the cold and wet, but the wind was hard to deal with. We glassed up a few deer and only a couple of bucks...couldn't get a shot though. Had a great time with good friends. We'll see if we go back to 35A again next year or branch out and try another one of the border units.

And agree with bobbyo...let's see some pics! Any buck on that hunt is a trophy!

Spent 8 straight days out in 35B, not a single buck the entire time. Saw 3 does the first day, 0 the second, 0 the third (heavy winds day), 0 the fourth day (rain), 7 does the fifth day, 3 does the sixth day (rain again), 3 does the seventh day, and 4 does the eighth day. Miserably cold and wet just about the whole event. Tag soup - blah.

post-5944-0-71473300-1321128337_thumb.jpg

I was down in 35A on the Nov 4 th hunt (I was driving a silver Dodge 2500). The weather was rough and the water proofing on my boots failed me. There was 5 of us hunting. We did our part glassing and hiking off the road. We hunted the canyon North of Parker lake for two evenings and walked all the way back. I noticed allot less deer sign then in previous years and the creek bottom was dry. I ran across fresh Mountain Lion and Javalina tracks both days and we only glassed up two does. I talked with other hunters and from what I saw, I believe that the Mountain Lion population took over the area.

We also glassed the Lone Mountain area - glassing sheltered slopes from the wind. Nothing! I was really surprised. The only place we saw action was in the draws south of Jones Mesa.

Dang...sounds like it has been tough down there this year...It does seem like the lion population has been on the rise. We have seen 4 in the past couple years...Headed down for the whole week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully have good weather and better luck...110 or bust :rolleyes:

Anybody have or know anyone with hounds that will hunt in southern AZ?

Alright, I just got home from 35A and I'm seriously trying really hard to say i'm still a "leftover lover" but I just got done with the hardest coues hunt I've ever seen!!! I can still say I haven't eaten leftover tag soup, but I can also say that I glassed my A$$ off for 4 days through hurricanes and blizzards and I never glassed up a buck! I chased down the only buck I saw yesterday evening, which is the smallest i've ever killed, and hammered em' just to end the misery and go home.

I still love the leftover tags, I just picked the wrong one to buy this year. The hardest weather to hunt Coues in is high winds and that's exactly what we had the whole time! I HATE WIND....but, i still love the leftover tags ;) JIM>

We want photos, we want photos...... Come on Jim.

I'll bite. This was my first leftover tag and my first Coues hunt. I picked up a 35B tag. So I ate my turkey dinner and headed south.

I have this board to thank for much of the information that helped me on this hunt. Based on your advise I packed my spotting scope and sighted my .270 for a longshot. HA.

Friday afternoon, I dropped onto the westside of the Patagonias. It was about 1pm. I set up on a hill and glassed up 7 or 8 does. Promising! Decided to slip in to the same spot the next morning. I was hoping there would be a buck in there somewhere. All I saw was trucks driving the road. Seemed like there were people on every hill. Decided if I was going to find a buck I was going to have to hike into the thick stuff.

So, I packed my bag for the day and started the hike in. Hoped I would jump a buck or find a place to glass. It was about 9:30. I stalked my way up the mountain. Didn't see much. At the top I found some really great sign and RUBS. Cute little small rubs. Sorry...I'm used to elk rubs...quite the difference. I glassed a bit. Nothing. Did some power napping. It was really thick near the top...so I decided to slip down a bit...where I could see. It was about 1:30.

As I was walking down the hill, I spooked this buck out of his bed...he walked out turned and looked at me. He was about 30 yards. Now, I'd sighted my gun for what I thought was going to be a LONG shot. Even went to the range and practiced at 200 and 300 yards. Pretty safe to say that first shot went right over him. Luckily for me he walked up the meadow about 70 more yards turned and looked again. I hit him that time. He's not very wide....but a great little buck for a first-time leftover tag.

coues2.jpg

I really enjoyed my leftover tag. Threw some of the tenderloin on the grill this afternoon...and I have to say it wasn't a lot of meat, but it was the best tasting deer I've had in a LONG time.

I'll bite. This was my first leftover tag and my first Coues hunt. I picked up a 35B tag. So I ate my turkey dinner and headed south.

I have this board to thank for much of the information that helped me on this hunt. Based on your advise I packed my spotting scope and sighted my .270 for a longshot. HA.

Friday afternoon, I dropped onto the westside of the Patagonias. It was about 1pm. I set up on a hill and glassed up 7 or 8 does. Promising! Decided to slip in to the same spot the next morning. I was hoping there would be a buck in there somewhere. All I saw was trucks driving the road. Seemed like there were people on every hill. Decided if I was going to find a buck I was going to have to hike into the thick stuff.

So, I packed my bag for the day and started the hike in. Hoped I would jump a buck or find a place to glass. It was about 9:30. I stalked my way up the mountain. Didn't see much. At the top I found some really great sign and RUBS. Cute little small rubs. Sorry...I'm used to elk rubs...quite the difference. I glassed a bit. Nothing. Did some power napping. It was really thick near the top...so I decided to slip down a bit...where I could see. It was about 1:30.

As I was walking down the hill, I spooked this buck out of his bed...he walked out turned and looked at me. He was about 30 yards. Now, I'd sighted my gun for what I thought was going to be a LONG shot. Even went to the range and practiced at 200 and 300 yards. Pretty safe to say that first shot went right over him. Luckily for me he walked up the meadow about 70 more yards turned and looked again. I hit him that time. He's not very wide....but a great little buck for a first-time leftover tag.

coues2.jpg

I really enjoyed my leftover tag. Threw some of the tenderloin on the grill this afternoon...and I have to say it wasn't a lot of meat, but it was the best tasting deer I've had in a LONG time.

Nice buck...especially on a leftover tag! :D

In Arizona, it's a three-pointer or a three-by-three. In Texas and points east, it's an eight-pointer. Here, eye guards are counted only on elk.

Bill Quimby