azpackhorse

dead

I'm sorry but this is a hunting website right? If people have a problem with this, they need to move to another site. We already as hunters have problems with tree hugging hippies, we don't need them on here! Sorry, just my to sense!

Makes me think of a similar thing though; The wording we all use when we've been succesful on a hunt? I always say that I (or my kids) 'killed' an animial. Some folks choose the word 'harvest'. Seems to me like dead is dead. Harvesting to me, seems to water it down a bit. When I shoot something, assuming I do it right, that animal is DEAD. To me, 'harvesting' is for crops, not game animals.

Not that I have a big problem with those who use the word 'harvest'', it's just that I choose the word 'kill'. To each their own, I suppose.

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. It just made me think of this topic.....

S.

:)

OK, I'll admit it. I habitually use the word 'harvest' but never thought of it as pandering to the tree hugging hippies. I've had a different perspective on the use of the word. I was raised to believe that we, as hunters, are also conservationists participating in the harvest of a renewable resource (yeah, a lot like corn). Never thought of it as watered down, but can't really disagree with your perspective (and the other posts either). Yes, I killed it. Yes, it was dead. Yes, my family ate it. And, Yes, there will be more next year. Just killing something leaves out the rest of the process - in my opinion. Just my $.02

As was previously mentioned, sorry for the hi-jack.

don't matter to me what word you use, you still have to kill something if you're gonna be a succesful hunter. whatever word you use to say is just a word. it still takes a deliberate action. as far as a photo of a hanging animal? i didn't see it, but there are photos on here and every other site and tv and everthing of hanging animals. what's the big deal? but i'll give ya some real good advice. skin back at least one hind leg and hang it head down. they are a lot easier to skin that way. years ago i mounted a 2000 lb winch on the headache rack of my pickup. wired it right into the battery. specifically to drag elk up into the bed. worked great for broke down quads, big chunks o' wood, stuff like that too. i remember a couple guys asking me what it was for and saying what a dumb idea it was. wasn't too much later, seemed like everbody, including those guys, had the same set up. winches are a wonderfull thing. Lark.

Man I am guilty here on this one. I have used the word harvest among certain people and I also sent one pm last year about a pic of a deer that I felt was in poor taste. I myself am always eager to get someone involved in hunting including friends that have never tried it and always find myself debating about the positive, wonderful thing that hunting truly is. I like the idea of posting the most tasteful pics possible. Not saying I wouldn't take a pic that I wouldn't share in tighter circles, but I choose to only post certain pics. Pretty simple math to me. If I sent my kid to show and tell w his class mates, I would send him with the most tasteful pic we had. Although most people on hunting sites would have zero issues with any pic, even graphic ones, I choose not to post them. I would like to consider my a sportsman who portrays this sport in a positive light to everyone, not just other hunters.

Bottom line is "it's all in the delivery"...

You can convey a positive message my saying/showing things a certain way.

It's all psychology, people are more receptive to certain things conveyed

in a neutral manner. This "in your face" attitude gets the point across

but fails to recruit.

There is a bigger picture and a world that wants to do away with what we love to do.

If you don't understand that, you are contributing to our own demise.

Now, more than ever, we have to join as one. Reach out and invite people to

learn about the outdoors and all the joys that come with it. Keep in mind,

there are huge forces trying to do just the opposite. From peoples new lives that are

more and more distant from the outdoors to the greenies and their agendas.

They want to introduce wolves in the Kaibab for goodness sakes! Think its for

sake of the wolves?!...no it isn't!

Seriously? Just post your picture. Hanging it, field dressing it, skinning it, quatering it up or whatever the heck you want. This is a frickin hunting site. If people don't want to see dead animals don't go to a hunting site and certainly don't open threads where people or showing off thier kills. Yes I said kills.

OK for you squemish onlookers

LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN

no matter the killing or the skining or the butchering

let them open the one on gutless methods etc.

hang'm by the foot , the antlers . the neck - is nothin to ask a post /picture be takin down.

we as hunters know what needs to be done and do it.

So the camera captures a less than "idealistic" picture- we should think of the squemish few who would be offended or thrive on the cheers of those who know - thats how its done - one way or the other !

I do not care for the brains blow out , with 1/2 a head or discusting bowels hanging from an animal but hey its want happens sometimes.

so if ya was squemish i hope my post - words - didnt upset you too much!

• Like 1

Bottom line is "it's all in the delivery"...You can convey a positive message my saying/showing things a certain way.It's all psychology, people are more receptive to certain things conveyed in a neutral manner. This "in your face" attitude gets the point across but fails to recruit.There is a bigger picture and a world that wants to do away with what we love to do.If you don't understand that, you are contributing to our own demise.Now, more than ever, we have to join as one. Reach out and invite people tolearn about the outdoors and all the joys that come with it. Keep in mind,there are huge forces trying to do just the opposite. From peoples new lives that are more and more distant from the outdoors to the greenies and their agendas.They want to introduce wolves in the Kaibab for goodness sakes! Think its forsake of the wolves?!...no it isn't!

Don't agree entirely. We do need to govern ourselves. And sometimes the "In your face" is needed to get the zest of the point across. You got to pick up every stitch to build a fabric. It's not entirely what the other side is planning.

It's what we can do to preserve what we love. But then again, We all see things differently. Take how we stalk a deer for example? Not one of us is going to do it the same way.

So, yes we ARE at a disadvantage in being a strong adversary that is united. I'm sure there are others out there that like to see us bicker over trivial things like what we post. So What.

PS.Have a successful hunt killing or harvesting this fall. I think it's easy when things hang down by the way.

i imagine there have been and will be hundreds of animals in a tree this and each season. helps all the blood run out. dont suppose the offended would have it in thier tents with them or in thier hotel rooms? seriously people don't you cape your own animals?

Bottom line is "it's all in the delivery"...

You can convey a positive message my saying/showing things a certain way.

It's all psychology, people are more receptive to certain things conveyed

in a neutral manner. This "in your face" attitude gets the point across

but fails to recruit.

There is a bigger picture and a world that wants to do away with what we love to do.

If you don't understand that, you are contributing to our own demise.

Now, more than ever, we have to join as one. Reach out and invite people to

learn about the outdoors and all the joys that come with it. Keep in mind,

there are huge forces trying to do just the opposite. From peoples new lives that are

more and more distant from the outdoors to the greenies and their agendas.

They want to introduce wolves in the Kaibab for goodness sakes! Think its for

sake of the wolves?!...no it isn't!

+1 well said

For the record, I never saw the photo.

From its description, I can only assume it was an

elk with a winch rope noosed around its neck and hung

up in a tree. I completely understand that practically

everyone here is okay with that, not squeamish and have

seen it done before. I don't think that's the arguement.

I think it must have been posted somewhere else and got

negative feedback. Correct me if I'm wrong. (?)

I think many on this thread, like myself, are confused as to

what the initial arguement is about. We seem to be pretty

adamant about three different things, all seperate in themselves.

I'm not offended by any picture posted, I hope you weren't referring to me. I hang all my game in a tree to skin it just like everyone else. I suggest you go back and read my post if it is why a couple of you have seemed to respond to it in the way you did.

I never saw the picture either and never said it was in poor taste. It seemed to me, this thread had changed into a discussion about people other than the hunting community and how they might view certain type photos. To me, posting certain pictures rather than all your pictures is no different than a video of a kill shot being switched right after the animal goes down and not continue to focus on animal taking his last final breaths or kicks. It just common practice, if you don't agree with this line of thinking makes no difference to me. But, it might however be the deciding factor if a mother sees something she doesn't necessarily like and changes her mind about her "Little Johnny" going out with one of the neighbor kids and his father on what could of been his first deer hunt. Now, I realize this example is a little far fetched, but it's the concept of how people on the fence view what we do that is important. You’ll never convince an anti what we do is right. It's the people sitting on top of the fence who are important to the future of hunting. The "independents" if you will.

AZPACKHORSE,

My post wasn't even directed at you, I apoligize if I helped hi-jack your thread. It seemed it had turned into a general discussion by the time I read it.

To me, posting certain pictures rather than all your pictures is no different than a video of a kill shot being switched right after the animal goes down and not continue to focus on animal taking his last final breaths or kicks. It just common practice, if you don't agree with this line of thinking makes no difference to me. But, it might however be the deciding factor if a mother sees something she doesn't necessarily like and changes her mind about her "Little Johnny" going out with one of the neighbor kids and his father on what could of been his first deer hunt.

Good analogy and good point.

I saw the picture and you can see from my post, date time stamp of when I posted my comment.

To think that after almost 6 years on this website (longer lurking) that the picture was inflammatory,obscene or posted in bad taste is ridiculous. Brian made the comment you jeep guys will enjoy this, which was really neat to see the use of the winch. Anyone ever use one of those rope/hoist pulleys? Not exactly the best "winch" in my opinon...

I have seen gut shot, butt shot, heart shot, antler shot critters on here for YEARS!

Some posts go by without a word in terms of graphic nature...

He took it down I imagine out of respect for someone or something, his own personal decision which is fine.

Az&Y

To me, posting certain pictures rather than all your pictures is no different than a video of a kill shot being switched right after the animal goes down and not continue to focus on animal taking his last final breaths or kicks. It just common practice, if you don't agree with this line of thinking makes no difference to me. But, it might however be the deciding factor if a mother sees something she doesn't necessarily like and changes her mind about her "Little Johnny" going out with one of the neighbor kids and his father on what could of been his first deer hunt.

Good analogy and good point.

Again, I do not agree with this analogy. Makes me feel kinda Green???

It works great when you have youngsters that have been already exposed with camping/Hunting. But, If you take "Little Johnny" as in your example out on his first deer hunt. Without fully preparing and educating him and his family what it looks like, and feels like, to harvest/kill an animal. Even a clean kill!!

Then all the cocoa and s'mores will be on your lap after the shot. I also hope someone helps pay for the therapy sessions.

Then again, they have already seen all the cool stuff on YouTube.