Sign in to follow this  
elk77hunter

House Broken Into, Everything Gone

I hope that you recover your things. Over the past 50 years, our cabin was burglarized twice and we had three vehicles stolen, so we know how you feel.

If you haven't already done it, I suggest you meet with your insurance agent and discuss your coverage. The last time one of my trucks was stolen, I learned that my homeowner's insurance would not replace certain things in the vehicle, such as a handgun and a set of handheld radios. It did replace about $1,000 worth of cameras and lenses, a nearly new 10x50 Swarovski binocular, and some mechanics tools that went south into Mexico with the truck.

We now have a rider to cover nearly everything we own that might be stolen, lost or damaged. To make our premiums affordable, though, we opted for a $1,500 minimum on any loss before the insurance kicks in. It doesn't take much to reach that amount, though.

Bill Quimby

Check the paper for yard sales describing items such as yours. I work for Protection one, if you need an alarm or additions to the one you may have, just hit me up. Swap marts or meets are known to places where people rent a spot cheap. Im truly sorry to hear about this misfortune. I firmly believe that your blessed though because everyone is safe. Stuff can be replaced with time and perseverance. God Bless

My Aunt N Uncle had their house broken into about a year ago in Peoria and had tons stolen.(25 firearms) I am sorry to hear about your stuff elk77hunter. I learned a ton from their experience. Here is a little insight: Pawn shops are flooded with tools so they leave them alone cause they just can't get much for them and they are heavy. The only reason they didn't take you guns is they were in the safe. Sounds like all the stuff they took was light and for the most part impossible to track. In my uncles case, of the 25 fire arms that were taken he only had serial numbers from about 7 of them. Many of the guns were gifts from grandparents as we have generations of hunters in our family. The 7 they had serial numbers for were purchased recently. They have gotten 5 of the 7 back. They have not gotten any of the guns that they did not have serial numbers back and some were rare and very sentimental. I can go on for hours about this but here are a few quick tips: typically your renters or home owners insurance only covers a couple thousand dollars in personal items so you will need an additional rider for things like guns, optics, jewelry ect..... but it is usually a few bucks a month, heck a couple thousand won't even cover one set of bino's for some people. I know elk77hunter did not lose any firearms but this is the best tip I have ever heard. If you have firearms or expensive outdoor items take pics of each one and also take a pic of the serial #(don't forget optics n GPS), then email the pics to yourself and your hunting buddy and make him do the same to you. Make a folder in your email labeled "kids homework" or something silly in case you leave your email open. If your house burns down and you have the serial numbers written down on a note in your desk well guess what? The other thing is if you have pics of your guns and stuff in your email you can easily send them to pawnshops, police, insurance company, whoever........ This takes literally about an hour and if you involve your buddy you will have some accountability to someone else. Once again sorry to hear about your loss...

PS. with the help of the few serial numbers from my uncles case the police were able to make a couple arrests in a drug ring, kinda cool

I called the pawn shops, they said they cant tell me anything because of privacy laws. They cant tell me if hunting stuff came in or what they have. by law it has to sit on a shelf for 20 days in the back before they can sell it, so the cops have a chance to see if its stolen. So i have some time.

Time to go garage sale shopping this weekend. Alarm going in right now, security steel door as well

what a rotten deal. i really feel for ya. i think i still have my old pse fireflight that you are welcome to use if you need it. don't have any arrows or anything anymore. Lark.

I hate thieves so much.... they should be shot.

That stinks man. Hope some justice is served.

Probably a coincidence (I doubt they would be that stupide), but check out this Craigslist post that came up today....

My link

That bow looks just like it, but i didnt have a bag and arrows in the case. but they got 30 brand new arrows in boxes.

Just found out they have done 4K on my wifes credit card from before we were married at Lowes, Walmart, and fast food places.

Any law enforcemtn people out there can tell me what I can do? i have store numbers and everything from the statement where they were they have to be on video? waiting for officer to call me back

Beware trying to call pawn shops. To them "you" are the enemy and they will treat you as such. They thrive on stolen merchandise and do not want people who lost items to thieves snooping around. Good luck but act like an interested buyer, not a victim looking for stolen stuff.

I would recommend everyone who reads this and doesn't have one to get one as soon as they can. Trust me security doors are a must to have on your homes. The majority of criminals are opportunists and a front wooden door is not hard to get into to by being kicked. Unfortunately if someone really wants to get into your house they probably will. But no one wants to get caught so if you make it harder than the average home that should greatly help out your chances from this ever happening again.

Elk77 be sure to get in contact with the officer who took the report or the detective who was assigned the case. In most departments if there are no solid leads to follow up on then the case will be listed as inactive due to solvability and or case load for the detectives. Now that you have the information on your wife's credit cards there is a chance to get security footage from these stores so that you can see who is using them. From my experience these are tough cases to solve. Hopefully the officer who came to your house took DNA swab samples so if there is an arrest made on the credit cards they can 100% link the two. Do your best to stay on top of the officer/detective for the status of your case. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck and I hope they find your stuff.

That bow looks just like it, but i didnt have a bag and arrows in the case. but they got 30 brand new arrows in boxes.

Just found out they have done 4K on my wifes credit card from before we were married at Lowes, Walmart, and fast food places.

Any law enforcemtn people out there can tell me what I can do? i have store numbers and everything from the statement where they were they have to be on video? waiting for officer to call me back

You may not think so, but this is a good thing for your case that they used your credit cards. It is a date/time stamp and a photo of the people who either burgled your house, or an acquaintance of the burglar and the bank should forgive the charges to you. You need to call your detective and let him/her know about the credit card useage. Stay on the detective and let him/her know that you want them to get the video and follow up on this case. Sometimes detectives can have up to 60 ACTIVE cases where there are leads. With that many cases sometimes the investigations go slow; not because they aren't working the cases, but they can only work one at a time and think how many burglaries there are out there. You need to be in the detectives ear because time is key for your stuff. Ask the detective to send out a department wide or valley wide bulletin with the photos of the suspects on surveillance camera so other officers look at it to try and ID the theives.

Good luck

called the officer last night, gave him all the info. he said they will pull video.

I just hope they work on it soon.

thanks for all the help. I tried to call walmart last night, but i dont think any of them will show me videos.

Also, they ran two separate transactions for like $600 at the same store 10 minutes apart, how are they not one single time asked for ID on a purchase that big?

WOW..Makes me sick to think people in our community have to stoop so low. I'm not one to resort to violence but I swear if you found them and beat the stink out of them..I would help you out. Where do you live in Peoria just wondering cause I live around 75th ave/ DeerValley rd might need to keep an eye out. I have a neighbor that Yard sales every weekend I'll let her know about the bows and if she sees something I'll have her take a picture and text me with it. I hope you find some justice in the end. I'm puttn a security door on soon! Good Luck ELK77