Sign in to follow this  
rkv09

Five year drought ended.

My wife's five year drought ended with this nice little buck. Opening day we headed out to a ridge that in years past we had success at. That morning we only glasses up two little spikes and a bunch of does. In the afternoon we headed to a bowl that we had taken a decent 3x3 out of last year but when we got there it was already taken. We glasses up another bowl and only spotted a doe and sixteen turkeys. We headed back to camp a little disappointed but it was only opening day. Saturday we arrived at a ridge that we had put a stalk in a nice 4x4 last year. The ridge faced east so we glasses it till the sun rose and then glasses west into a large bowl with several nice cuts in it. We glassed the ridge for several hours and couldn’t find anything. We decided to head to another spot for the hope of a midday buck spotting. My father in law took off in his truck in a ploom of dust after holding a bag of jerky for us to catch. We loaded up in my truck and headed down the road. After driving about ten yard I looked at the first ridge we glassed and I saw a deer. I pulled my binos up and saw it was a buck. Myself, wife, brother-in-law, and buddy all jumped out of the truck "quietly". I ranged the deer at 365 yard across the canyon and put my wife on it. She used my shoulder as a rest but couldn’t get steady on the buck so I ran back to the truck and got the sticks. The buck was still standing broadside look at us when my wife touched off using a .270 with Federal Fusion 130 grain. The buck slowly walked off to the top of the ridge without any signs of being hit and disappeared behind a bush. I was worried that he had just walked off without a scratch on him. We let him sit for twenty minutes and then hiked up the other side of the ridge. When we arrived at the area of the shot we couldn’t find any blood and I got really worried. We walked to where we last saw him and there he was lying dead, ten yards from the where we shot him. My wife put the bullet right through his lungs with one shot at 365 yards! This nice 3x2 will put meat in our freezer and now the pressure is on for me to also get one this year in my November hunt.

PS. My wife has is made, I spot the deer, gut the deer, pack it out and butcher it. All she has to do is pull the trigger! I wish I had guided hunts. haha

post-5508-0-46992900-1319772291_thumb.jpg

post-5508-0-82895100-1319772439_thumb.jpg

post-5508-0-30505800-1319772500_thumb.jpg

post-5508-0-53846300-1319772719_thumb.jpg

post-5508-0-60237500-1319772811_thumb.jpg

post-5508-0-91832000-1319772887_thumb.jpg

You could have alteast carried her gun and pack!

Just kidding, Ive been there doing all the hunting and work, just not the shooting... I enjoy doing it as well! Congrats to you and your wife!

All of you did a great job !!!

Great write-up, Congrats on your successful hunt. Love hearing and seeing families hunting together, that little one has something to look forward to. Awesome pics.

great job!

congrats !

james