stanley

Erik's muley buck!

Hello All:

Those who know me, know that I always try to take lots of pics of the hunts with my children. In hindsight, I kind of dissapointed myself on this hunt, in that I didn't focus as much on pics as I usually do. Not sure why, just happened not to get the camera out as much as usual (Plus, when I got the camera out of my pack for the 'field pics', I found the batteries dead! :angry: ). Either way, we had a great trip with loads of fun and love! :)

So anyway, Erik and I, plus my old childhood friend Ken and his son Ethan all drew early Mule deer tags in 36A. The area that we like to hunt isn't known for it's 'big' deer, but that didn't matter to us. (LOTS of tags given for this unit, and the deer get pounded pretty hard......) We were just looking for some fun glassing & chasing deer in the desert! Ken and Ethan set-up camp last Thursday evening, and Erik and I drove down early Friday morning to hunt. Friday was a good day with several bucks spotted, but all at a LONG distance with the Swaros. No shot opportunities, but it was a great day none the less.

On Saturday morning, Erik and I chose a spot that I like to hunt that has lots of little gulleys & ridges covered in mesquite/ocatillo/palo verde/cholla/etc. We set-up just after light to glass and immediatly started seeing deer (does/fawns). After just 10-15 minutes of glassing, Erik jabbed my arm to get my attention and pointed at two deer that had come-out of the brush just about 125 yards below us. Quick check with the binos confirmed that they were both bucks! :) I quick released the binos from the tripod while he slowly/quietly cycled a round into the chamber of his grandpa's old .7MM Mag. I moved the tripod over in front of him and he slid the rifle up and settled it on the steady rest. I was shaking more than him as I whispered to hold steady and squeeze slow. A moment later the gun boomed, and the larger of the two bucks jumped/kicked and dissapeared behind the hill he had just come from. The smaller buck looked confused and just stood there...... I considered shooting it, but really was more interested in Erik's deer so I let it walk...... We gave it a few minutes and walked down and over the little ridge that the deer dissapeared behind. As expected, it was piled-up in the ravine just 25 yards away. He had made a perfect shot, right through the heart! He has killed a doe, a couple of javelina, and a nice bull elk, but this was his first 'buck'! He was VERY happy, and I was too!!

Ken and Ethan never connected on a buck, but we all had a great time! Again, I didn't take very good pics but here are a few to share....

Here is the result of letting a couple of 16 year olds go off on a wood run by themselves! :o :D :D Luckily the cell phone service was decent, and he was able to call Ken and I for a rescue!

October2011MuleDeerHunt003.jpg

Here is the only field pic. Taken with my Blackberry, with a dirty lense!! Oh well, the memory is the same...... ;)

IMG00068-20111029-0732.jpg

Here is one TIRED boy after dragging/packing his deer out! He and Ethan packed it just about 1/2 mile to the road. Did it 'old school' and dragged it by the antlers! They were beat tired!! :D

October2011MuleDeerHunt005.jpg

And finally, a pic of both boys after they got it strung-up in a tree for skinning!

October2011MuleDeerHunt010.jpg

S.

:)

PS: Check-out the rack on this thing. The left side definitely looked like a Whitetail, with the three points coming up off of a single main beam. Looks like some cross breeding going on there. The ears and tail are ALL muley though!! :)

Congrats on his first buck, Bet your son and friend were some happy young men, and I can see your a proud father too.. nice! Got the truck stuck too, a merit badge of sorts as well lol.

Congratulations to Erik! Really good of you Stanley to get the kids out like you do, just nothing else that comes close to hunting with the young ones.

Congrats to Eric on his first buck and a great hunt with his dad! Stanley as always, your dedication to youth hunting is inspiring!

Congratulations Erik! Good job getting the truck stuck too!

Looks like the clan is out having a good time again.

I know you must be pretty proud Stan!

Awesome job !!! Tellhim congrats. I wish i could have been there to help. Great job Dad.

Congratulations to Erik on his buck. Ilene said it right when she used the word inspiring. It's so awesome of you to get the children involved with the outdoors. Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us Stan. :)

TJ

ps.......did you happen to see any piggies while you were there? I put Peg in for the women's hunt this year in that unit. pm me with all cord. lol

Thank you all for your very nice comments friends! Very kind, but not entirely deserved given the fact that I think I get as much (or more) joy/satisfaction out of hunting with my kids as they do! Kind of selfish in a way..... ;) That being said, I've also been fortunate enough to spend some time in the hills and around the campfire with several of you. A great bunch of folks and I truly appreciate the sentiment coming from you!!! I'm hoping Greta and Nick can score on bucks next year, as they both struck-out on the early junior hunt. Still had a great time with Carlos and company though!

Now this weekend it's out to Marina Del Rey for a Crew competition (rowing) for Erik! He's on his school's varsity team, and this is one of the big regatta's of the year. Totally different than hunting, but I'll get the same joy being there with him! Tough competition there, but he's got some strong arms/legs. Maybe the work-out he got dragging that deer will be the difference this weekend in L.A.!! :lol:

TJ, I saw javelina EVERY day! Let's talk.... :)

S.

:)

Stanley, I just sent you a pm only to find you cannot retrieve any PMs. :( Your mail box must be full. :)

TJ