Sign in to follow this  
AntlerObsession

SW Colorado Mule Deer hunt

I headed up to SW Colorado to help a friend on a 3rd Season Mule Deer Hunt in the area north of Durango. We saw an amazing amount of animals, and with fresh fallen snow, the tracks of many others: 14 different bear tracks, and 4 mountain lion tracks, along with countless deer and elk. The fresh snow also provided for some pristine panoramas. (This is my first time trying to use Photobucket. Wish me luck!)

ColoradoTrip019.jpg

ColoradoTrip016.jpg

ColoradoTrip068.jpg

We headed early Saturday morning to prime hunting ground, and on the way came across this 25"-ish 4x. My buddy passed, having set his sights on some bigger deer.

Nov114x4Edited.jpg

After seeing a few more deer on the way up, we glassed the mountain side, finding a strong contingency of does and a few bucks, along with this 300+ lb. milk chocolate sow and her cinnamon cub(in the bushes to the left of the mother.) That cub was a playful one: rolling around, jumping on its mom, and otherwise causing a ruckus.

Nov11SowandCub.jpg

We saw multiple bucks in the 160" class, and some in the 180" class that we couldn't quite get on before dark. We did, however pass this guy on our drive. Unfortunately, this buck had just passed onto private land, safe for one more year!

Nov115x4.jpg

Well, we had a blast combing those hills together. I had to head home to work, and he is stil p there working on bagging his dream buck.

On my way home to AZ, I did pull some cameras off the hills, with some good pics of bucks and bulls, this bull definitely being the highlight. Any guesses on his score? We'll see who gets closest when him and I meet up next year!

IMAG0617.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

It was a happy ride home!

Wow, amazing photos! I would love to "pass" on muleys like that. Thanks for posting them! Great looking bull too, for CO, especially.

Very nice!

My first bull elk and one of the biggest typical mule deer I have ever seen was on Missionary Ridge just N of Durango.

Gorgeous area and it looks like you were roughin it in that cabin!

Thanks for sharing.

VERY NICE! Thanks for that!

Lance