Sign in to follow this  

Thanks in part to this forum I purchased my first trail cam. I want to know if anyone has any advise on placing it so as to help avoid it being stolen? Are there any locks that are better than others? Do I put it up high where it is more difficult to get to? I have heard that placing them up high effects range? Any tips are appreciated. Hopefully I'll be adding to the great pics soon.

Noworries,

Don't put it too high or you will get pictures of the sky. Follow the directions in your manual as far as height, usually 4-5 feet above the ground is ideal.

As far as security goes, I just hike in over a mile to place my camera and hope no others will travel that far. I have a Cuddeback which allows you to screw the camera to the tree; however, this will only deter honest crooks. It also has a lock and password protection which helps.

With a little luck everything will work out. Last time I had my camera closer to a road, I got pictures of a couple groups of people as well as cows, deer and a lion.

Hope that helps,

Noworries, pick a spot where most hikers, picnickers or other hunters do not go. Remember, most people will not travel very far from their vechicle!!!!! My trail cam is at the bottom of a canyon where three game trails converge. It is only about 500 yards from the road but is rarely visited by humans. Nobody has bothered it in three years (except a black bear who left teeth marks and his mug shot on it). Many big bucks visit(especially during the rut) and several lions and coati mundi. It is always a thrill when I get the pics back from Walgreens. You never know what is going to show up. I have my cam about 36" from the ground and it takes great pics at that height. I'm waiting for a good deal on a digital. Have fun!!!

Guest Ernesto C

Noworries, this is a tip I learned from TREESTANDMAN; you will need two cameras,place them facing each other so that way in case some one trys to get one you will have the thieve on the other one so you can get him/her later.

Or try to get one like the one fellow member coueselk posted before.....you'll know when some one is taking it right away.

Or, if you worry to much well stop worrying and send the camera to me :) Blessings.

Ernesto C

Be sure of your target.........and beyond

Becker had a Python-lock around his camera and a Cowboy got it off with his pocket knife!!!!

Luckily Becker can track like an Aborigine and ended up getting his cam back.

My advice, make sure the camera has good camo and cross your fingers.

Are you kidding me Andy?!?!?! That's amazing! Was the guy a freakin idiot or what? Any confrontation? JEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As littlebear mentioned I had my cam stolen about 3 weeks ago. It was camo, python locked to the tree and about 1.5 miles up a thick nasty canyon. still got taken, along with my two treestands. but as littlebear said I managed to get it back. Needless to say the cowboy was surprised to see me at his door asking for my stuff back. I don't think he thought anyone would be crazy enough to come all the way out there to ask him for it back. Boy was he wrong B) $300 + dollar camera and two tree stands on the line, look at what littlebear and I do for a little antler. Luckily with a Game and Fish officer present no confrontation arose. I would like to say thanks to Martin for putting in the time to help me retreive my property. I don't think I would have gotten my stuff back without him. Despite much of the comment I see there are really good people working for the Game and Fish with their heads in the right places helping us hunters out.

I must add one comment though. It was relayed to me that the forest service counts cams and tree stands like that as abandoned. Despite that I had the cam locked up and stuff. Apparently they can site you for it or something to that effect. Anyone heard this before? Gave me the impression that it is a free for all out there. So keep an eye on your goods, your camp might be gone when you get back cause it was abandoned for 4 hours, don't look to the forest service for much help, and call your freindly Game and Fish officer, he will help. :)

A happier Becker with his stuff back :ph34r:

Becker, When you showed up at the cowboys house, was he watching Brokeback Mountain with his buddys? :ph34r:

I have been drilling holes in mine and installing u-bolts. I then take a length of cable and paint in black along with my locks. I put the cable through the ubolts and lock it to the tree, plus lock the camera itself. Put a few branches between the rope the holds the camera and the trees just to break up the outline. Make sure you put a little bathroom caulking around the holes where you installed the ubolts.

Becker, When you showed up at the cowboys house, was he watching Brokeback Mountain with his buddys? :ph34r:

I have been drilling holes in mine and installing u-bolts. I then take a length of cable and paint in black along with my locks. I put the cable through the ubolts and lock it to the tree, plus lock the camera itself. Put a few branches between the rope the holds the camera and the trees just to break up the outline. Make sure you put a little bathroom caulking around the holes where you installed the ubolts.

ROTFLMAO, now that was funny Az!!

Marine Goop also works well for any sealing needs on the cams.

I don't have any faith in the Python-lock. Wire cutters (or a cowboy with a knife) can remove the Python pretty easily. I use a custom steel shackle and a chain. It would be very difficult to remove, but the frustrated thief could still destroy the cam with a big rock. It's gunna happen sooner or later.

bowsniper