Sign in to follow this  
AZBUCKEYE

Can not get GPS to match Topo map cordenance

always, Always, ALWAYS run in UTM.....Universal Transverse Mercator. All the USGS Topo maps are in UTM. The coordinates down the side and bottom are in 1000 meters. Set your GPS to whatever NAD is listed likely 1927. You should be spot on.

always, Always, ALWAYS run in UTM.....Universal Transverse Mercator. All the USGS Topo maps are in UTM. The coordinates down the side and bottom are in 1000 meters. Set your GPS to whatever NAD is listed likely 1927. You should be spot on.

Awsome I will go check it now

Thank You

There is about a 200 yard difference between NAD 27 and the WGS 83 and 84 systems. If you match the systems between the two you should be good to go.

on my garmim in setup mode should I select UTM UPS format.I have a garmin oregon 450 and I am using the topo us 24k,mountain south-Az&NM map.

we always use NAD83 with our map software with great results

the chip in my 450T is WGS 83 I think, my maps are all NAD27, get the big picture from the maps and the detail from the GPS

The USGS originally created all of their maps in NAD27 but as they come out with updates to the culture (roads, trails, water features, etc) shown on the maps, they often also update the datum to NAD83. I always use the USGS 1:24K paper topo maps which in the bottom left corner have the datum printed. If you are using a different map product then I'm not sure where to find the datum used but you could run into some errors if not using the correct one.

I have the Garmin Etrex Vista and as others have said it should be set to UTM UPS and NAD27 CONUS or NAD83.

There is about a 200 yard difference between NAD 27 and the WGS 83 and 84 systems. If you match the systems between the two you should be good to go.

Like NRS said you have to make sure the datum on your gps matches the datum on your mapping program. Most gps use wgs84 as the default map datum. And your mapping program may be set to nad27. Change the settings so they match.

the chip in my 450T is WGS 83 I think, my maps are all NAD27, get the big picture from the maps and the detail from the GPS

The Topo map in your GPS has no datum reference. It's the GPS's preferences datum setting which decides which datum you are using.

While that is correct the maps are also in latts & longs on the side of the maps. It is just harder to be more accurate when determining an exact point on the USGS map. I personally run WGS84 on my Garmin and would use nothing else. I don't use paper maps anymore.