Sign in to follow this  
deserttacoma84

Savage 110

So I acquired a Savage 110 30-06 in a trade. It is an older model with a blind magazine. I have been reading around and wondering if anyone has any ideas for a fun rifle build and also interested to anyones input to if it would even be worth it. I like the idea of being able to change out barrels and I am open to changing calibers, stock, and barrels. I would like to use it for bench shooting at long range. I also have the ability to handload. Open to all crazy ideas. Suggestions?

Re-trade it for a remington.

+ 1 I was thinking the same thing

I tend to agree with DesertBull on this one. Savage actions aren't as good as Rem, but their triggers and barrels are very good. I own a couple Savages and no Remingtons. I think Savage is way underrated, in general.

To the original question, Boyd's makes some really good stocks for Savage rifles. You might look at a laminate thumbhole stock, put an inexpensive, but quality (Vortex) scope on it and prove that you can have a comfortable sub-moa rifle that costs well under a grand to set up.

I have never owned a 110, and don't expect to, but from what I have seen they are real sleepers in the accuracy department. The barrel nut headspacing system also allows for do it yourself barrel swaps. I've never heard of a bolt handle falling off of one either.

Mike

I own savages and remingtons and everyone of my savages will shoot circles around the Remingtons. Savages are a cinch to build on and can be done yourself and with a nice trigger and a match grade barrel are capable of great things. I have built two .250-3000 savages a 6.5-300WSM a .260 Rem Ackley a 6.5-284 and a .204 Ruger. All of them will shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards or better. If you are looking for a bench caliber i would look into something in a 6.5. .260 Ackely or 6.5-284 are good ones that are seeing lots of success with long range shooters. The high B.C and the mild recoil of the 6.5's make them perfectly suited for the bench.

Stomp442

Which 6.5 do you like best?

I have a 6x284 and love working with that Lapua brass but the 6.5WSM sounds like a really cool little cartridge. How much more MV are you getting from the WSM, 200fps?

So I acquired a Savage 110 30-06 in a trade. It is an older model with a blind magazine. I have been reading around and wondering if anyone has any ideas for a fun rifle build and also interested to anyones input to if it would even be worth it. I like the idea of being able to change out barrels and I am open to changing calibers, stock, and barrels. I would like to use it for bench shooting at long range. I also have the ability to handload. Open to all crazy ideas. Suggestions?

Don't mess with it. Sell it to me for $200 bucks I know what to do with it.

Savage has the best thing going. Go to savageshooters.com lots of good info there.

I think the next rifle I build will be a 280 Rem. I will set it up to shoot the 168 Berger vlds.

should shoot down range super.

Savage rifles can get in your blood as bad as coues hunting. Be carefull you can't have just one.

post-6156-0-96212900-1323825185_thumb.jpg

I really like the .260 Ackley best. It is really the best combination of performance and efficiency. I can do anything the 6.5-284 will do using about 44 grains of powder vs 48 grains with the 6.5-284. The 6.5-300WSM is a fun little cartridge but I dont prefer the magnums just wanted to do something a little different. I am getting 3200 out if it with the load it likes. 140 Hornaday Amax on top of 67.5gr of Retumbo