Mathews

Scouting

Curious to know how many of you are ok with scouting for your, lets say, late November rifle elk tag while there is a Late archery elk tag going on in the same unit?

Just got back from my late archery hunt and we saw 1 other hunter in the same area during the first week of the hunt, but the second week we saw atleast 5 or 6 trucks in there. Luckily none of these people were in the IMMEDIATE area we were hunting or there may have been a problem.. I think many of these people were oblivious to the fact there was a hunt going on at that time, but still.. I thought it was kinda common sense to stay out of the woods if theres a hunt going on in that unit.. :huh: Any thoughts?

I understand your frustrations but that's kinda hard when from August-December there's probably a hunt going on. Just another downside to "more opportunity". Glad nobody screwed you up, though.

I understand your frustrations but that's kinda hard when from August-December there's probably a hunt going on. Just another downside to "more opportunity". Glad nobody screwed you up, though.

Yeah too many hunts is probably to blame.. Did have a GREAT run-in with a couple scouting, the wife on her first hunt, her husband on his second. They were driving down the road looking for a certain tank as they found elk "droppings" and "hoof marks" on jotted their finds down on their laptop :lol:

I don't have a problem with it. If it were the other way around I would be scouting (glassing) too. I do hunt a lot under the rim where it seems this time of year there can be fresh bulls moving down every few days. If I had a rifle tag starting this Friday I would be glassin my butt off trying to get a feel for what is going on. Water holes might be the only thing that would cause conflicts. Hope you had a fun hunt. By the way I have had scouters help me out in the past while I was hunting.

If anything, for me I find it a good chance to talk to others who hunt the unit. It is also a decent way to see where the average roadie hunter goes, so you can stay away from those areas.

I actually love to scout while a hunt is going on. Mainly because it gives me clues to how the game reacts to pressure in the area. I do try not to impose on a hunter if I know there is one in the area. I just sit up high and glass if possible.

I have been hunting the late season archery hunt and there were quite a few scouters in the area and I don't have a problem with it. I would rather see them out scouting for their hunts than asking on the web for help and not stepping a foot in their unit until the hunt. Most people scouting scout from a distance anyway and are not trying to push the animals.

Brian

My work schedule dictates my scouting. I also like to scout during hunting seasons, helps understand hunting pressures and animal movements. However if scouting during a hunt I am very cautious and careful not to pressure animals or crowd hunters. my 2 cents

yeah there's really not much you can do. we all want and need to scout for our hunts especially the late elk when everything is on the move. I try my best to stay out of the way of anyone who is hunting.

We saw several groups scouting during our archery hunt. All of them that we ran across were glassing from a distance and more than willing to help out. I always enjoy talking with other hunters so it doesn't bother me at all.

I definitely do not see any issue with this and usually this time of year guys/gals scouting make up a much smaller percent of people than those out running the forest roads with their OHV's.