Sign in to follow this  
105Coues

Long range 22 cal. bullet results on Coues

Can anyone tell me of their experiences with shooting Coues at 400+ yards with a 22 cal bullet. I am interested in the bullet used, caliber of rifle, and how it performed. My nephew used my 223 and shot his first deer with it. At 230 yards, the bullet went completely through the deer and it jumped once and fell over. I was really impressed with that and it got me wondering how it would do at even longer ranges if required. THX :ph34r:

I can't speak from personal experience with a .223 on coues deer but I did some research a while back regarding 25-06 on long range shots. Many people tend to agree that for "deer sized game" you should stick to a round that will have anywhere from 700 to 1000 foot pounds of energy at the range you intend to shoot. According to Remington's online ballistics chart, a .223 50 grain Premier Accutip has only 380 foot pounds at 400 yards and an amazingly low 273 foot pounds at 500 yards. Of course, you can always get more energy by shooting a heavier bullet, but you'll lose a lot of the flat shooting ability of the .223 by doing so.

Of course, shot placement is huge - a perfect shot with a .223 will drop just about any deer, but if it is off just a bit, which is highly likely at the ranges you mention, I think you stand a good chance of a non-lethal hit, or a very difficult tracking job to say the least.

That said, I think a .223 makes a heck of a javelina gun, especially for junior hunters, and I've seen the awesome damage they can do personally, but both times I took javelina with a .223 it was well under 100 yards.

Just some food for thought - good luck with your research.

Jason

You know, I was wondering about this myself. I picked up a 223 WSSM last week and many articles I read seemed to think that it will be a good whitetail round. Zeroed @ 100yds it only drops 4.4 @ 300yds.Energy is 1150 ft lb @ 200 yds. Personally I will still feel more comfortable with my 243 or 7 mag. I'll post results later after I try it out on some coyotes. Anyone else have a WSSM?

I was along on Scottyboy and his friend Kevin's October hunt. Kevin was shhooting a 223 WSSM with a 53 gr Barnes TSX. Kevins buck was ranged at 390 yards, we figured the drop knowing his zero, and Kevin put the bullet through the ceter of the lungs on the first shot from a padded rest atop a rock. The buck stood for maybe 10 seconds, then keeled over. The bullet exited the off side with a small hole. Since we did the no-gut dressing method, we did not examine the internal damage. I would say that 400 yards is close to its max range based on this observation. Scott took his buck at 250 yards with the same 223 WSSM rifle. THe 223 WSSM gets velocities approaching that of the 220 Swift.

RR

My first buck I shot with a 223 rem. 55gr softpoint. The buck was about 150 yards away. The bullet hit a rib and stopped. Luckily the rib broke and punctured the lung. After a looooong tracking job and another bullet I had him. I've never used a 223 on a deer again. Thats just my two cents.

Keven

i would not use a .223 on deer. i used a .223 to take my pig and it worked well, mostly because of where the bullet entered, traveled and what it hit on the way in ( and no, this was not a perfect shot)

That .25 WSSM sounds pretty good. If it's got everything thqat the 25-06 has without the kick, you can't go wrong with that. A friend of mine took his buck a couple of years ago at a little more than 500 yards with his 25-06. The buck was quartering away and the bullet was placed perfectly to lodge in the far shoulder. Buck just rolled down hill.

With that said, I like to have a little more room for error myself. I shoot a .338 at these deer with a 225 grain bullet. Some think it's overkill. I think it does the job very well. I don't have to worry about whether I have enough energy at 500 yards or further or how much wind drift there is that some others do. I like it when they fall straight down. IMO

i have a 223 wssm and varmit call alot, and it will do a number on yotes. even at 300 yards. I shoot a 55 gr v-max at a lil under 4000fps, faster than a 220 swift, I always thought about it for coues but never have used it, I know the 25-06 does great on coues. My 25-06 has shot 3 coues and 1 lope w/ 100 gr core-lokt's.I can't complain about that caliber one bit, it also shot a couple of mulies and one javelina

My little .223 Win Model 7 youth, has taken 7-8 deer in its time. CLosest was 50 yards, farthest (guestimated) 650 yards. Of which only 3 were coues. I shoot a handloaded 55gr BTSP I dont know exactly which one as a family member reloads them for me. I know its pushing max on the powder charge, and have been told its clipping along about 3600-3800 fp. I have never had a bullet or gun caused problem. The guestimated shot was probably farther then we guessed. I have never been back out there to range it. But he was just a little dot at 8 power. Dropped him in his tracks. 150lb mulie 3x3. ( yes things a teenager will do on the last day of the hunt several miles from the truck.) That was way back before my brain started working.

ANyway, if your very familiar with the gun and loads your using, and know where to put it. I have never had any problems, that I was not at fault for. Its still my caliber of choice for everything smaller then elk. I have no problems taking it out for mulies or whities again any day of the week. But again I've put enough rounds through it to know exactly how it shoots in about any imaginable circumstance. Practice,, practice and then make the shot count.

Shane

Thanks for the input. I usually use my faithful 300WM so I can reach out there with confidence. My nephew had just turned ten when he used it and I am prepping myself for when my kids are old enough. It will shoot sub MOA five shot groups at 400 yards so the accuracy is awesome. My nephew shot his with a plain old PSP but I want to try the Boattails for the extended range ballistics advantage.

My seven year old shoots this rifle and does so very well for her age.

Your 7 year old daughter shoots your 300WM? I must have missed something......

Heck ya! she's Tuff!!! LOL ;)

I wrote the original post and the rifle My nephew and my daughter shoot is the ol' Model 70 223.

Heck ya! she's Tuff!!!  LOL ;)

I wrote the original post and the rifle My nephew and my daughter shoot is the ol' Model 70 223.

Thanks for clearing that up :D

If either or both of them can shoot what the gun is capable of. Let them at it!! I got my Model 7 when I was 9. I used it the next year on both piggies and deer. You cant beat it for getting a kid started. Keep them going, and next thing you know they will be stealing your .300 LOL... Good luck.

Shane