Sign in to follow this  
justanotherpunk

Restored a little faith

When I found out my Father had gotten drawn in 37a I couldn't have been happier for him. Something like 36 years of trying.

After some of the experiences I've had with other hunters and outfitters over the last few years i quickly became more worried than happy for him. We've both dealt with more b.s. from people in the field than I'd care to mention. Unfortunately this led me to be less than optimistic about his chances of having everything go smoothly. Even though there is only one other hunter in the unit, my imagination ran pretty wild with the what ifs.

I don't really know much about the other hunter but i can speak to the guys guiding him. It's not a big unit and the area the sheep tend to consistently use is even smaller. It would have been very easy to end up all over each other. I only managed to get the last name of one of the guides, Mattauch, but a very stand up guy for sure. I believe the outfit he was working for was double h outfitters? If so, i want to thank you guys for giving my Dad the space around ragged top. What you didn't know and probably couldn't have seen, is that my Dad is disabled and too proud to use his condition as a crutch. Having the area basically to himself is one of the major reasons he was physically able to harvest his ram.

I think its also important to note that my dad also got help from numerous individuals that didn't have to do what they did for them. I'd name some names but I'm sure how they would feel about it.

DIY takes on a whole new meaning with the experienced guidance my dad was able to obtain.

Tons of watching, both before and during the hunt, tons of waiting, one stalk, one shot and a heck of a lot of work = priceless!

As for the score, cause i know it's gonna get asked, don't know for sure. My Dads goal was a class 4 ram and we know he's that without a doubt. I'm curious to hear some guesses anyway. I'll update after we have him scored.

If anybody here actually knows the other hunter or the guys he has working with him, can you please extend our gratitude. It is way to difficult to put into words what their respect of our location meant to us!

post-1750-0-14336000-1323544336_thumb.jpgpost-1750-0-02577200-1323544254_thumb.jpg

post-1750-0-90995500-1323544307_thumb.jpg

Congrats to your Dad on the Ram of a lifetime! Double H Outfitters and all of their guides are first rate including the Mattauch family, who is IMO, a pillar in the sheep hunting community. I have been blessed with the opportunities to guide sheep hunts for Chris Harlow & Tyson Hatch and you were in Excelent company in 37a this year. Congrats to you all! ;)

I call Chris every year and ask where to put in: this year it was 37B. He had a huge one found in there. Congrats to your Dad. Max bonus pts and counting for me!

Sounds like your Dad is a proud man and one who doesn't want to ask for help even though he is disabled. I'm so glad for you all and congratultions to your Dad on a nice ram. There are great guides and great fellow hunters in this state of Az that are willing to help out. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

TJ

Thanks for sharing the story and pix. What a beautiful ram! Good to hear something positive about an outfitter/guide when so often you hear about them trampeling our sport for their paycheck.

Nice ram, good to hear the guides gave you your space. Getting in contact with the other hunter/s in these units for sheep is critical. I would have never taken my sheep without having multiple converstions and game planning with the fellow hunter in my unit. I also made a great friend in the process. Congrats on a beautiful animal!

Sheep hunting is so special,and when you have the respect,and courtesy of the other hunter in the unit it makes for an awesome hunt.I can speak from experience,as I had the hunt of a lifetime in 40B last year with Brian Johnson.Congrats on a very nice ram.

That is a really great ram, a very inspiring story, and some awesome photos! Thanks for sharing! If you could post another angle of the ram, I might be able to venture a better guess, but based on what I see...166". Dandy sheep for sure!

Nick

I'm pretty sure my good friend Hank was going to help your Dad on this hunt. I was going to call and see how it was going and if he was ready to go along with another friend on a rifle wt tag. Hhhmmm Small world I guess.

Congrats on a great ram!

+1 for HH .. we had a friend of Marks, one of the HH related gang helping us out on our hunt .... I was impressed .. because he went well beyond his knowledge and skill.