Sign in to follow this  
Chef

Who is pumped for Mexico!?!

Going on the 13th as well! :D :D :D :D

I am!! :) and I had a goal of taking first place on the Big Buck Contest but.....after seeing Jim Mullins bucks.....sign me in for the second place :D

Ernesto C

I just got back home from another trip to Mexico this morning. Had a 3 hour wait at the border last night which was horrible but we made it home safe and that's always a good thing!

I gotta say, a week ago the first couple days were nice, there was some rutting activity and lots of daytime deer movement, BUT, as the week wore on it steadily got worse. It was 92 degrees yesterday at 11:00 am on our ranch! The heat coupled with the moon getting brighter has killed the daytime rut and deer activity. I feel sorry for all those guys I saw heading down to hunt this week!

We did kill another really good buck and it's one we have trailcam pics of. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

Some good news for all you Mexico bound hunters, we've killed 4 bucks and have found a whopping total of 2 ticks!!! That may not mean much to some of you, but after losing a couple capes last year because of tick infested bucks, the lack of ticks is a huge thing and a big relief to me! The 2 ticks we found were on this last buck and were buried in the ear canal and not even on the hide itself. Hopefully you all have the same good fortune!

Best of luck to you all, the middle of the month around the 20th will be the best time and the rut should be in full swing by then! JIM>

Your in luck Ernesto, I haven't dropped the hammer on a buck myself yet and my hunters aren't entering their bucks into any contests so you still have a great chance my friend! You are due to kill a giant and I sincerely hope you do! Best of luck! JIM>

Thanks for the update Jim and best of luck to you and the rest of your clients in the season.

I am chomping at the bit and am somewhat scrambling getting things ready!

I too am somewhat afraid of the warm weather. We are a bit farther N than where I think you are and maybe rutting activity will be different.

We will be there for 14 days so we are planning to stay to find the action. Like you said, the moon isn't helping any either.

Either way, we will give it our best at finding the big bucks!

One week away for us. crossing the border early morning next Fri.

Jim- Good to hear about the lack of ticks. We spent hours last year picking off ticks, but thankfully didn't lose any. I'm ready to kill a true Giant after killing some very good bucks the last couple years.

I've shared all of these but might as well show them again.

First year

Mexicoandgun093-1.jpg

Last year

2011-01-18_08-05-51_501.jpg

Mine is the left middle, very big frame but one of the lower scoring ones of the group.

996982995_photobucket_56002_.jpg

What a cool pic! The buck in the middle is the reason we go to Mexico... The right side on that thing is SICK and has got to be 58-60 inches! The 17th can't get here fast enough :D

10 hour countdown til we head to Mexico. Dang I am not going to sleep a bit! :blink: