Sign in to follow this  
azcoueshuntr

Powders and Primers

I use Federals Match Grade primers, and for the powder I'll check the books or see what others are using. If I learned one thing about reloading, find out what caliber your shooting then ask the benchrest shooters that are using for your same caliber. That is just a starting point on where I need to be. It usually changes a little, but saves me alot of time and money going to the range with many different test loads.

all depends on caliber. for my 6.5x284 i am using h4831 sc. go on hodgen website, look up your caliber and it will tell you what powders and how much you can use. some people like alliant also... just preference, caliber, and what shoots good in your gun

what bullet are you useing with the H4350 with the 270 i got crappy groups with it I use IMR4831 and CCI 200 primers. Let me know so I can use up this lb of powder

gonna do 3 loads gonna try the berger vlds 155gr the hornady ttsx 150gr and the tsx 150gr out of a 300wsm with a 24in barrel see which performs the best on paper....

I really like the 4831SC (243 & 6x284) and H1000 for the magnums (7mm DAK & 300 RUM).

I usually use Fed Match primers but recently switched to CCI Mags for my 7mm Dakota. I did thi becuase one of the sister rifles of mine was being used in bench (heavier barrels) and he had incredible results. Since I switched from Retumbo to H1000 at the same time I am not sure which tightened up my groups.

For my dads 270 we used 4350 as was suggested above.

I would suggest you try some larger bullets in the 300 to take advantage of the cartridges potential. You may find that based on the twist rate of your barrel the heavier bullets are the ticket for the small groups. My 300RUM will sho0t 150's okay but as I move up to 190's (VLD's) it really starts to shine.

For the 300 WSM, try Ramshot Hunter, H4350 and H4831sc. I like the Ramshot powder as the smaller kernels meter and funnel better, and it is less expensive. Federal 215M primers

I plan to try Ramshot myself this summer. I have heard a lot of good feedback on it. Is it very temp sensitive? I think H1000 is great because it seems to have almost no change even with our crazy heat.

what bullet are you useing with the H4350 with the 270 i got crappy groups with it I use IMR4831 and CCI 200 primers. Let me know so I can use up this lb of powder

The best groups I got out of my 270 were with 54.5 g of H4350 with 130 g barnes ttx bullets. I think 0.060 jump to the lands.