Sign in to follow this  
TannerJohn

coues on the last day

Was fortunate to have finally filled my tag on the morning of the last day of my hunt. First, was a great joy to realize that my father and I were drawn in our favorite unit, unit 29, for the late hunt. With fire devouring much of the prime deer habitat however, I entered the late season a bit weary. First day of the hunt was surprisingly productive; by 8:30 am we had glassed many deer, one of which was well over the 100 inch mark! We watched him from afar for what seems like an eternity, but never were able to get close enough to shoot....what a beauty to see anyways.

Soon after the monster left, on the same mountain we find three bucks, one of which is a nice 3x3. We ranged the bucks at a hair over 600 yards, distance many are comfortable with, so I decided I would take a shot at them....something I will probably not do again. I missed three times, grateful that I didn't wound an animal while learning to shoot within my comfortable range.

All of this in the first two hours of hunting! I thought to myself, "This may be the best hunting experience I will ever have!" Next day, same productivity as first but no bucks down. Its now December 11th, I need to head back to Tucson until the 28th when I will hunt the last three days of the hunt... as each day crept closer to the 28th, my excitement grew and grew with thoughts that every buck in unit 29 will be in the rut and on the same mountain as I had seen them on the 10th! My father harvested a very nice buck on the 16th in that area also, so all signs were pointing to a dream last three days.

Morning of the 28th arrives with anticipation for buck heaven, at 7am we spot a herd of 6 does....a rather large herd. Okay, this is it, just wait and there will be a monster buck in this herd. Twenty minutes later, no buck in the herd. My father and I glass another large herd of does....no buck. The story continues for two days with large herds and no buck! It is as if the rut decided to take a break! I was so frustrated, but my father was still very hopeful that we would find a buck so we enter the final day of our hunt with a bit of discouragement and a knowledge that there are still some good bucks in the area.

By 7:00 am we were on our way to our favorite spot, with same routine as previous two days- big herd, no buck, another big herd, void of bucks. By 7:30 I spotted a two does 450 yards anyways and assume no buck so I tell my dad what I see and continue to walk. While walking however, my dad calls me and signals that he sees a nice buck ! I thought to myself "dang! I didnt check the area well enough, thank God that my Dad did". There he was, a beautiful 3x3 standing broadside 400 yards away! I lay down to get a good rest to shoot this 3x3 when my Dad hollers "Wait, there is an even bigger buck that just came out from behind the tree!" Now barely able to breath, so excited I aim at the big buck, what had a 100 inch frame and shoot....a hit, not a kill. Shot 2, a miss, now the buck moves very gingerly up and stands behind a tree. I find him and wait for him to walk out of the tree......he finally does, I shoot he drops! When my Dad said he is down, I almost didnt believe him. Finally, the tag is filled and a beautiful buck is down! He didnt reach the 100 point mark as he is lacking big eye guards and big g3's but I am incredibly happy with this wonderful buck and wonderful experience with my dad.

Below are some pics of the buck...the 4th pic is of my dad's buck and the fifth is my dad with my buck

post-5100-0-49518900-1325797897_thumb.jpg

post-5100-0-99304000-1325797920_thumb.jpg

post-5100-0-52791800-1325797942_thumb.jpg

post-5100-0-55923900-1325797974_thumb.jpg

post-5100-0-97915300-1325798053_thumb.jpg

congrats. the anticipation can be a killer when you want to get out.

Very nice bucks for you both.

Jeff

Great story and let me say the hunt with your Dad out weighs the fact that this buck didn't make the 100 mark. Your memory of this will last a lifetime and it still is a dandy of a buck. Look at that smiles on both your faces. Who cares about score? Awesome! :)

TJ