Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Fourth Buck of the Season!

Hey guys and gals, I'm late in gettin' these pics up but been under the weather since returning home.

We headed down after Christmas to one of the ranches we hunted on the first trip. I had my same hunters with me and we had hopes of another successful trip.

The first couple days were good, some rut activity and good bucks, but as the days wore on it got hotter, the moon was getting brighter and we were seein less and less deer daily.

Here's some cool pics I took when I should've been looking for deer instead :rolleyes:

This is a "Cola Blanca Jabali" that we'd glass up all the time...

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2330_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2331_edited-1.jpg

Here's the last thing you want to see on your ranches...

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2312_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2322_edited-1.jpg

Cool pic of part of the ranch...

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2326_edited-1.jpg

The first day of this second hunt started out really good with lots of bucks seen and passed. We still had cooler weather at that point and we had some rut action. One of the bucks that was chasing does within' rifle range of my hunter was very tempting! It's a buck that we've had on camera and he looked better in person. Having killed a better buck with me on the first hunt, my hunter passed up this buck and hoped we'd find something better.

Here's the buck we passed....

MDGC0412_edited-1.jpg

MDGC0244.jpg

MDGC0475.jpg

We had named that buck "The 9 Incher" because of his G2's and after seeing him in person we figured he was around 112". The next day was slower, the weather was getting hotter and the moon was getting brighter. With this in mind we knew this hunt would get tougher with each day so it was decided if "The 9 Incher" stepped out again he was getting hammered!

The 3rd day dawned with some decent activity very early on but was short lived. The 9 Incher was one of the rutting bucks and he bedded down before presenting any shot. We had him bedded in a thicket with no shot at 465 yards across the canyon from us. With the rifle ready, we sat there for 3 hours getting sun burnt waiting for him to stand!

At about the 3 hour mark he started moving quite a bit in his bed so we got ready. Sure enough he stood and stretched his neck and head in front of his shoulder to scratch his face with his back hoof. We waited for him to finish and clear his shoulder for the shot..."BOOM", he folded his legs under his belly in mid air and bounced on the ground with a thud after the bullet hit it's mark perfectly!

We had him at 112" before the shot and after walking up to him we realized his tines were a little longer and he has some very cool character that never showed up on the trailcams or while watching him with big glass. He has 5 extra tines or stickers that don't count because they are just barely under an inch, his G2s average right at 9" and his beams are 17". We were worried about his width hurting his score but even with a 10 1/2" spread he still tapes out conservatively at 114"!

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2355_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2365_edited-1.jpg

And yet again, my friend and I got to be the lucky guys holding this great buck in the photos!

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2376_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2310_edited-1.jpg

The deer activity continued getting less and less after killing the 9 Incher so we packed up and headed home. A cool sidenote, the 9 Incher and that 117" we killed on the first hunt were taken within 50 yards of each other and basically in the same spot! I REALLY like that spot! :P

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Jim... What a cool buck. Congratulations!!! We will be crossing the border on the 18th and hunting the 19-25th... I cant wait!!!

Thanks guys!

TAM, I'll be back down on the 19th also and feel it'll be the best time to be there! I'm sure you'll kill a biggun and can't wait to see it!

Kevin, I don't have any future plans for that ranch and the ranch owner isn't worried about the lions so all the kitties remained lead free. That was the 4th lion I saw there, 3 were running together the day before on the other side of the ranch!

Casey, both bucks we killed on this ranch had huge bodies and big heads. I was disappointed in the pics because they don't do this buck or that 117" buck justice due to their bodies and heads being so big making the racks look smaller. This buck is an older deer, his skull had some serious damage when he was younger too with crushed bones around the upper teeth and broken jaw that had since repaired itself. I'm sure it's evidence he survived a lion attack at some point.

Thanks for sharing Jim. Quite impressive if you ask me. Congrats to the hunters. :)

TJ

Hey guys and gals, I'm late in gettin' these pics up but been under the weather since returning home.

We headed down after Christmas to one of the ranches we hunted on the first trip. I had my same hunters with me and we had hopes of another successful trip.

The first couple days were good, some rut activity and good bucks, but as the days wore on it got hotter, the moon was getting brighter and we were seein less and less deer daily.

Here's some cool pics I took when I should've been looking for deer instead :rolleyes:

This is a "Cola Blanca Jabali" that we'd glass up all the time...

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2330_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2331_edited-1.jpg

Here's the last thing you want to see on your ranches...

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2312_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2322_edited-1.jpg

Cool pic of part of the ranch...

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2326_edited-1.jpg

The first day of this second hunt started out really good with lots of bucks seen and passed. We still had cooler weather at that point and we had some rut action. One of the bucks that was chasing does within' rifle range of my hunter was very tempting! It's a buck that we've had on camera and he looked better in person. Having killed a better buck with me on the first hunt, my hunter passed up this buck and hoped we'd find something better.

Here's the buck we passed....

MDGC0412_edited-1.jpg

MDGC0244.jpg

MDGC0475.jpg

We had named that buck "The 9 Incher" because of his G2's and after seeing him in person we figured he was around 112". The next day was slower, the weather was getting hotter and the moon was getting brighter. With this in mind we knew this hunt would get tougher with each day so it was decided if "The 9 Incher" stepped out again he was getting hammered!

The 3rd day dawned with some decent activity very early on but was short lived. The 9 Incher was one of the rutting bucks and he bedded down before presenting any shot. We had him bedded in a thicket with no shot at 465 yards across the canyon from us. With the rifle ready, we sat there for 3 hours getting sun burnt waiting for him to stand!

At about the 3 hour mark he started moving quite a bit in his bed so we got ready. Sure enough he stood and stretched his neck and head in front of his shoulder to scratch his face with his back hoof. We waited for him to finish and clear his shoulder for the shot..."BOOM", he folded his legs under his belly in mid air and bounced on the ground with a thud after the bullet hit it's mark perfectly!

We had him at 112" before the shot and after walking up to him we realized his tines were a little longer and he has some very cool character that never showed up on the trailcams or while watching him with big glass. He has 5 extra tines or stickers that don't count because they are just barely under an inch, his G2s average right at 9" and his beams are 17". We were worried about his width hurting his score but even with a 10 1/2" spread he still tapes out conservatively at 114"!

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2355_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2365_edited-1.jpg

And yet again, my friend and I got to be the lucky guys holding this great buck in the photos!

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2376_edited-1.jpg

Mexico2ndTrip2011_2310_edited-1.jpg

The deer activity continued getting less and less after killing the 9 Incher so we packed up and headed home. A cool sidenote, the 9 Incher and that 117" we killed on the first hunt were taken within 50 yards of each other and basically in the same spot! I REALLY like that spot! :P

Cool pics and Great Bucks, not sure if it was on purpose but I like the Shed on the Rock in the Picture of the part of the Ranch...

That is another excellent buck. I really like the fact that you said to TAM that it should be better in a couple weeks. I am heading down on the 22nd for a week and I am getting really excited. Congrats on the great bucks so far.

Big congrats, DANDY for sure! great height and character

Thanks guys! We head back down this Thurs and can't wait! Word on the hill is the deer activity and rut is picking up more and more daily and this next week should be the best week of the year to hunt! We've got a handful of hunters going this time so I'm sure there's gonna be some whoppers hammered! Best of luck to all that are getting ready to head down! JIM>

Congrats to you and your hunter on another great buck Jim! Awesome pictures as always and great recap. You guys should be having a blast right about now.