Sign in to follow this  
POB

Buffalo?

So my wife says I can kill a buffalo, but since I'm 61 with no points my question is where can I find a out of state hunt that isn't a pasture shoot? Any ideas? Thanks.

I believe if you draw a deer tag in the Kiabab you can also buy a buffalo tag! Might want pm a TLO on this one, he should know!

• Like 1

So my wife says I can kill a buffalo, but since I'm 61 with no points my question is where can I find a out of state hunt that isn't a pasture shoot? Any ideas? Thanks.

The cost of an out of state hunt is probably close to the amount you could get a Az Govenors tag for!

• Like 2

I shot a Buffalo on Ted Turner’s ranch in Montana back in 2002 for less than what a AZ resident bull tag cost now. It was a 3 year old Bull and not the trophy bull hunt (5 years and older). It still looks great on the wall and is the best tasting game I have ever shot.

• Like 1

There are very few true "free-range" (wild) bison hunts. Below is a website that describes those hunts in the USA, and all will require drawing a permit. It does not discuss wild bison hunts in Alberta and British Columbia.

If you don't want to wait to draw a tag in one of those states, you will need to accept the concept of hunting a bison that is owned by someone and raised in a pasture varying from a few acres to a few thousand acres. It probably won't be behind a game-proof fence because bison usually can be confined by regular cattle fencing if the pasture is large enough, but it won't be a wild bison, either.

http://www.huntthewest.com/bison.htm

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

bill's correct, I shot mine on a turner ranch. I was not wild but did provide somewhat of a challenge (killed in one day though) I used a pistol to hunt mine, knowing i wanted to make it more of a challenge. the meat was great, the mount is neat to have, and it was way cheaper than a "draw" hunt. You'll have fun either way and it's a heck of a rush watchin an animal like that.

• Like 2