Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

In market for new bow

I currently hunt with a PSE Carrera bow. I am shopping for a new bow in the off season. I am leaning towards the PSE Mach 12. Any suggestions? While I'm at it how about those PSE radial X weave arrows, pretty awesome aren't they!

Shoot everything you can get your hands on in your price range and go from there. no other way to put it. if it fits it fits.

Shane

There are some really great bows on the market now..... I have owned and shot High Country, Martin, and Mathews bows. I am a Mathews guy all the way..... The Switchback is the best bow that I have Ever shot. It is wickedly true and forgiving as far down range as you can shoot...70,80,90,...110+ yds if you dare. I bought my Switchback as a back up to my old faithfull Q2 XL last spring and it quickly became my #1 bow. I shot several Hoyt bows and had a real dislike for the "hand shock" they deliver.... I also shot a few other brands and still felt that the Switchback had it all.

If budget is an issue...... Bow Tech is in my opinion one of the best and most under rated bows on the market today. The BT line has a bow for everyone at a price that is a little less painful than a Mathews... :D

Good luck.... :P

Shoot everything you can get your hands on in your price range and go from there.  no other way to put it. if it fits it fits.

Shane

Exactly right. I believe it's all in what shoots and feels the most comfortable to you. There are alot of great bows out there today and I don't know of an archery shop that won't let you try them all out. I'm a Mathews guy all the way as well, I shoot the Legacy. It's a heavy bow when all equipped but I've never shot a smoother shooting bow. Best of luck, JIM

I shot Golden Eagle, PSE, Oneida for years, then a guy talked me into a new Mathews.. . . It was more than I could afford at the time. . . but I will never buy a different brand again. Since then I have shot Hoyts, Bowtech, AR, and Parker. . . . I think Hoyt makes a good product, as does AR, but my two cents, look into the best Mathews you can afford.

Ebay is a good way to get a year old bow half off. Just check their feedbacks first.

Good luck.

Two Words

Mathews Switchback

I've shot most out there and nothing compares.

Shoot as many as you can before you decide, just don't leave out the Switchback.

All right everyone must be on Matthews pro staff, how about Archery Research bows?? Money is not the issue, as long as the wife don't know!!!! Quiet And fast!

I went through this last year when I decided to upgrade. The AR bows are nice, they are made by PSE here in Tucson so I would recomend swinging by the PSE proshop and shooting one. I ended up buying a Bowtech Allegience to replace my Mathews and have been nothing but happy with it. I am shooting the Radial X weave arrows and am getting 312/fps out of the Bowtech, those arrows are extremely light and strong.

There are an aweful lot of good cam bows out there now, just about everyone makes a good, quiet, fast bow. I shopped around until I made up my mind on what I wanted then I bought my bow on E-bay, saved quite a bit of $.

I also shoot a mathews. I like the balance, harmonic dampers, and the grip is perfect for me. I shoot the fastest of them, the ultra 2 and have been nothing but satisfied. It is a little less forgiving than the switchback or legacy, but a little more compact and lighter. You can get a new ultra 2 bare bow for around $400.

All right everyone must be on Matthews pro staff, how about Archery Research bows??  Money is not the issue, as long as the wife don't know!!!! Quiet And fast!

Not a Prostaff-er......

I have a friend that is a PSE pro shooter and he struggles with the AR bows....(I woop him when we shoot :) ) they are very fast but they are not forgiving..... meaning you have to have flawless form to shoot well down range. One of my shooting Partners, shoots for Hoyt out of one of the Phx shops and he made me shoot several different Hoyt bows before I made my decision to buy the Switchback. Granted.... The AR's and the Hoyt's shoot FAST.... but speed is not that important to me.... I have shot bows that wizzing the arrow out there at 300+ Ft per sec. and for target shooting that is GREAT. But in a hunting situation..... 280-288 ft per second seems to deliver a much more forgiving shot down range. You have to not only test bows for comfort, but also for how accurate they are with your form. If you feel that a certain bow you have tested makes you an instantly better shot then you might have found the right bow...... meaning test each bow with as many arrows as you can. I have no idea what kind of hunting/shooting you intend to do with this bow, but keep this in mind....... if you can't consistantly hit a 1" dot on a target at 20 yds......... you won't hit a paper plate size target at 80-90 yds......

Good luck, again. :D

All right everyone must be on Matthews pro staff, how about Archery Research bows??? Money is not the issue, as long as the wife don't know!!!! Quiet And fast!

Not a Prostaff-er......

I have a friend that is a PSE pro shooter and he struggles with the AR bows....(I woop him when we shoot :) ) they are very fast but they are not forgiving..... meaning you have to have flawless form to shoot well down range. One of my shooting Partners, shoots for Hoyt out of one of the Phx shops and he made me shoot several different Hoyt bows before I made my decision to buy the Switchback. Granted.... The AR's and the Hoyt's shoot FAST.... but speed is not that important to me.... I have shot bows that wizzing the arrow out there at 300+ Ft per sec. and for target shooting that is GREAT. But in a hunting situation..... 280-288 ft per second seems to deliver a much more forgiving shot down range. You have to not only test bows for comfort, but also for how accurate they are with your form. If you feel that a certain bow you have tested makes you an instantly better shot then you might have found the right bow...... meaning test each bow with as many arrows as you can. I have no idea what kind of hunting/shooting you intend to do with this bow, but keep this in mind....... if you can't consistantly hit a 1" dot on a target at 20 yds......... you won't hit a paper plate size target at 80-90 yds......

Good luck, again. :D

Also not a pro-staffer

I believe a bow is forgiving when it's geometry makes it such, not because of the name on it's limbs. Like comparing the Black Max to the XT, you can't. They're two different styles of bows, even though manufactured by the same company. On the other hand, finding a bow that fits comfortably for you, like Coues-n-sheep said, is more important than most everything else. If $ isn't an issue, find the best bow for you and spend a little extra on components. I've always been a firm believer in having better components than the "best" bow. Hope this helped

I am happy with my Hoyt. I have shot the BowTec Alegiance and if I were to purchase another bow that would be high on my list. I ran into the PSE factory Rep. a few weeks ago and he let me shoot one of the new bows comming out. It looked like the MOJO but was smaller. That was one sweet bow that I would also have to consider if I was on the market for a new one. As far as arrows, I am still happy with the Easton ACC's.