Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

In market for new bow

All right everyone must be on Matthews pro staff, how about Archery Research bows??? Money is not the issue, as long as the wife don't know!!!! Quiet And fast!

Not a Prostaff-er......

I have a friend that is a PSE pro shooter and he struggles with the AR bows....(I woop him when we shoot ;) ) they are very fast but they are not forgiving..... meaning you have to have flawless form to shoot well down range. One of my shooting Partners, shoots for Hoyt out of one of the Phx shops and he made me shoot several different Hoyt bows before I made my decision to buy the Switchback. Granted.... The AR's and the Hoyt's shoot FAST.... but speed is not that important to me.... I have shot bows that wizzing the arrow out there at 300+ Ft per sec. and for target shooting that is GREAT. But in a hunting situation..... 280-288 ft per second seems to deliver a much more forgiving shot down range. You have to not only test bows for comfort, but also for how accurate they are with your form. If you feel that a certain bow you have tested makes you an instantly better shot then you might have found the right bow...... meaning test each bow with as many arrows as you can. I have no idea what kind of hunting/shooting you intend to do with this bow, but keep this in mind....... if you can't consistantly hit a 1" dot on a target at 20 yds......... you won't hit a paper plate size target at 80-90 yds......

Good luck, again. :lol:

Let's not slide by Josh's latest post regarding the lion kill (harvest to be politically correct)

Andy and I were both dripping with sweat when we got there but were happy to see the lion up for sure. Once again we took a lot of pictures and video and Shawn finally got him with a perfect shot from his Hoyt bow.

Eh hem...

Good Luck and let us know your choice, I think you've got the whole spectrum covered!

AzP&Y

doug

I also shoot a mathews.  I like the balance, harmonic dampers, and the grip is perfect for me.  I shoot the fastest of them, the ultra 2 and have been nothing but satisfied.  It is a little less forgiving than the switchback or legacy, but a little more compact and lighter.  You can get a new ultra 2 bare bow for around $400.

I got an ultra 2 . . . TOO! I love it!

I shoot Easton Epic Carbons and even though they aren't expensive, they shoot like a dream!

Seeing how everyone else is jumping in the name game. LOL.... After I had shot everything I was able to get my hands on. I ended up with Hoyt. I have a hyper-tech thats a back up to the turbo tech. And I also have a Martin PhantomII that I shoot lefty, when my right shoulder starts acting up.

ABout every bow company in the market today will have about the same quality of bow. Even most of the smaller companies are producing quality equipment. Take into account everything you read here. as everyone on here will stand by their brand. But go shoot everythign you can get your hands on before you make a decision. The first new bow you shoot might feel very good to you and loads better then what you already have. But the one you shoot after that might be even better. And so on. The more types you shoot the better. and in the end willmake you happier with your set up.

As for arrows I shoot the easton Axis. and I still shoot Sonoran broadheads. Or Rocket ultimate steels where mechs are not allowed.

Bottom line go shoot everything, then make your decision to buy a Hoyt and get it over with. LOL>. The Reflex line is Hoyts cheaper on the pocket book line. Same thing Chuck Adams shoots. LOL...

Bowtech now has the Diamond bow line. Which are cheaper then the bowtec's

Good luck and good shooting.

SHane

I went through this last year when I decided to upgrade. The AR bows are nice, they are made by PSE here in Tucson so I would recomend swinging by the PSE proshop and shooting one. I ended up buying a Bowtech Allegience to replace my Mathews and have been nothing but happy with it. I am shooting the Radial X weave arrows and am getting 312/fps out of the Bowtech, those arrows are extremely light and strong.

There are an aweful lot of good cam bows out there now, just about everyone makes a good, quiet, fast bow. I shopped around until I made up my mind on what I wanted then I bought my bow on E-bay, saved quite a bit of $.

I stopped by the PSE pro shop in Tucson, checked out the AR37, a very nice bow!!!

I wanted to buy it, but want to check out these Matthews bows everyone loves, so someone please tell me where there is a Dealer either in Tucson or Phx.

I have read a lot of good things about the Ross bows, ie 334. Sportsmans Warehouse carries them. There is a lot of info if you do a search on archerytalk.com

RR

Mulie hunter,

I went through this last year and I went between an AR, a Bowtech/Diamond, and the Mathews. The owner at Robinson's let me shoot his switchback and it was really nice. I bought a AR-31 only because it was more in my price range. Definitely give the Mathew's a look. I'm not good enough to tell a big difference but I could tell the difference between the Mathew's and the AR.

I bought my Switchback at Bear Mountain...they seem to have a pretty good staff and a lot of different bows to shoot....including those bows with the 4 letter bad word starting with "H" on them... ;) :) :)

I have a PSE Carrera also. I like it and thought I shot it well until my buddy bought a Switchback and consistently drills the Mckenzie turkey target at 100 plus yards. I can't even see that far. His form isn't all that great. I think the Switchback must be an extremely forgiving bow. I am a PSE fan but know of nobody that has bought a Switchback that regrets it.

I worked at bear mountian for several years and they do have a large Mathews selection. They also have a consignment rack of used bows and usually have several of the older mathew models like the sq2,ultra2, fx,conquest etc for decent prices. Sometimes they will even except trade-ins.

mulie hunter

I shot a buck back in Nevada in 1991 with a Hoyt bow. I thought it was a great bow. Then I tried and soon after bought a Mathews conquest 3 two years ago and I killed a bull elk last season. I love my conquest, but I decided it was just to big to lug around all the time. I just ordered a new Switchback XT saturday and I just can`t wait! I know its gonna be awesome! Its all personal preferance, but I just love the mathews bows.

Good luck on your choice Rich

The choice is made The Archery Research AR37, Carlos & Alex at the PSE pro shop in Tucson were very helpful. The price was great also $508.00 tax included for the whole set-up, it is a sweet shooting bow! It is a brand new '05 model, it was discounted from $ 931.00. The Switchback is a great bow also , but at $749. barebow, $949. set-up plus tax. So I guess price was a bit of a issue! So far I love it!!!