Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Oct hunt success!

Day 4-Bucks spotted in meadow.

post-736-0-98583400-1326343022_thumb.jpg

On opening day I didn’t see a single deer. Now that was discouraging. Between the second and third days, I saw 15 does/fawns. Almost every doe had a fawn. Finally on day 4, at around 8:30 I see a buck standing in this meadow. As I’m watching him, I see two more near him. Looks like a spike, a forky and maybe a bigger forky or small 3 point- hard to tell as they were 900 yds away.

My glassing location.

post-736-0-89050100-1326343211_thumb.jpg

This is where I was when I spotted the bucks. This view is from where the buck was eventually recovered from.

Deer bedding area.

post-736-0-23301100-1326343461_thumb.jpg

I watched the bigger of the 3 bucks meander over to these trees. While watching him, I saw movement behind him, “are those antlers” I said almost out loud….yep, they are, and they are big! So this other buck moves into view and is noticeably bigger, both the antlers and body. I’m really stoked now! I watch this buck take what seemed like forever to move back towards my right. I quit watching the other bucks because I didn’t want to lose track of this guy. He kept standing there, looking at whatever, hardly moving at all.

Buck bedded down.

post-736-0-37541400-1326343600_thumb.jpg

He finally got over to this tree. Again, he stood there motionless for a long time. Eventually it looked like he bedded under this tree, but it was very hard to tell at 775 yds away. I decided to go after him. I left my non-essentials where I had been glassing and moved on down the hill to the canyon bottom.

Stalk is on!

post-736-0-42668400-1326343739_thumb.jpg

I stalked my way up the canyon, staying low, but every little ways I’d pop up to see if he was still there. Story of my life would be that he’d be gone! He was still there though, in a quartering position, but I couldn’t tell if he was facing me or away from me. Eventually I got close enough to see he was quartered away, which was a good thing. I was worried the other bucks would bust me as I did not keep track of them. I just stayed low and behind ridge lines, rocks, trees, whatever, and made my way to the trees in the photo. I ranged him at 205 yards. There wasn’t any cover left to get any closer, but I was comfortable with 205 anyway.

The shooting spot.

post-736-0-53142600-1326343971_thumb.jpg

This is where I set-up for the shot. I had to try to chill-out, as I was high on adrenaline and breathing hard. The wind was a little gusty as there was a storm brewing nearby. I had a bipod, but also braced it against the tree to be extra steady-I didn’t want to start cussing after the shot! I had my scope set on 16x, he was on his stomach and legs, head upright and looking away. I aimed for behind the front shoulder.

Got him! The buck as he laid.

post-736-0-58579200-1326344078_thumb.jpg

This view is looking back towards the shooting (and glassing) position.

I moved him out from under the tree for this picture. His right G2 is pointing up towards the glassing spot on the ridge.

post-736-0-48385200-1326344295_thumb.jpg

I've never seen a coues rack that's jagged or segmented like this. Anyone else seen one?

post-736-0-05455200-1326344348_thumb.jpg

Me and my biggest coues yet.

post-736-0-52156200-1326344414_thumb.jpg

I carried him on my shoulders off that mountain to the valley floor. Back at camp, the buck weighed 88 pounds! That’s an estimated live weight of 113 lbs. No wonder my back was killing me! He taped out at 74 7/8 gross, 71 7/8 net.

post-736-0-69279500-1326344435_thumb.jpg

No, I wasn’t dressed like this during the hunt.

• Like 1

Nice buck, with a cool rack. Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Great story and great pictures. It's like we were all there with you. Congratulations on a really nice buck......

that buck definetly has some unique main beams. congrats and thanks for sharing.

Nice job Tom! You write a great story too. Like the guy said earlier, it's like we were there with you.....I like those antlers, good character....

Pretty cool rack! Awesome job. Love the pictures telling the story and I compliment you on a successful stalk. Always memorable.

Tom,

What a great story and a great hunt !!!

That buck has some unique character to him.

I am impressed how the story unfolds with the pictures, great job.

Definitely a hunt and a buck to be super proud of.

And by the way, I sure am glad you weren't dressed like that during the hunt... !

Mike

That was an awesome piece of work with the pictures and the story as it went along. Great job on that and congratulations on your crazy looking antlered buck. Never seen anything like it before. You make that deer look small standing beside it but for those who haven't ever met you believe me Tommy is a big man. I'm sure no one would make fun of you if they saw you hunting in shorts. :lol: :lol:

TJ

Great Photo Essay! Very easy read with just the right amount of info. I especially like "The Shooting Spot" photo. We were all there with you Tom!

Congratulations on a very unique trophy!