ChowDog

2012 Archery Mule Deer!

Last night my friend called me and said hey man you want to go hunt in the morning? i said sure lets go to 36A and try our luck. woke up at 5am and it was raining hard, decided to wait till a little later well i ended up falling asleep again waiting for him to call and nothing (turns out he fell asleep waiting for my phone call) so about 10:00 he called me and said well, my bed was comfy and i didnt wanna get up do you want to go now? sure, so off we go. wind blowing like crazy walked around and glassed till about 2 then decided it was a bust. to much wind and nothing is moving, lets go check tracks at the water hole and go from there... 20 min later a buck jumped out in front of the truck and off i went. followed his tracks about 45 yards and i was standing on a wash bank looking around for the next steps and i happen to look up to my right and there was a doe standing there about 20 yards. waited for something else to move.. here comes 2 more does one stopped at the other and one came right to me! 10 yards. (i am in the wide open) she goes up the bank and to the other side and here comes the buck.. he comes to 20 yards and stands behind a doe. then stays in the bushes all the way to 74 yards fairly comfortable shot and i let one fly. well it smacks a branch i didnt see and he jumps and the arrow hits just to the right of him. so i walk up and make sure it was a clean miss, no blood on the arrow. so i walk about 100 yards and stop and theres a doe looking at me about 60 yards away. then she turns and just goes on with her business.. then i look up and about 80 yards out i see more does....... then the buck i just missed! they come right to me.. 40 yards behind bushes.. no clear shot they come down and around and he stands 42 yards broad side who could miss that right.. let one fly and hits about every branch on its way to him he spins my arrow misses and goes up the wash bank.. his doe goes like 20 yards behind me and is standing there.. and he comes walking back to me. 40 yards....30 yards... 22 yards with some little branches in my way and THA WAPP! stuck him! call my friend and said hey man i just smoked one. so we give him some time. go up and find my blood coated arrow and the tracking begins. well he took us on a loop but only found little blood (at this point i was like ooooh man.) drop into the next little wash and there he was. dead as could be double lunged him. then we realized we only went about 100 yards maybe.. and the better news was we were only 200 yards from the road!! well.. here he is!!

38275530428608628438410.jpg

16695030429669628332310.jpg

37842630437740627525210.jpg

38180830437791627520110.jpg

Thanks guys. im no trophy hunter by any means. this is a 200" buck for me. desert mule deer hunting is pretty tough to do i have found that out, so when i get my chance i take it

Great story and to find your buck 200 yrds from the road is what I would call a trophy buck. That's what I call a cow elk when it's next to a road. I'll take one of them anytime. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on a nice buck. :)

TJ

Smoked him! That exit looks like a .50 cal! Congrats!

sad part is thats the entrance hole. 4 bladed muzzys do some work!

Congrats on sticking a deer with your bow thats some fun right there ;)