Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Ballistics help

I'm not real into ballistics, but talking with a buddy and looking for some info. I'm wondering the drop at 400 yards and energy at 400 yards (way out there!). Can you help me find a place for this info or pass it along to me please? THANK YOU.

Calibers:

240 Weatherby Mag

257 Weatherby Mag

270 WSM

7mm mag

25-06

First you need to find out What bullets you will shoot.

There are a number of Sites that have balistic calculators that you can use for free.

The next is it factory Ammo or are you reloading. Some factory boxes have the Balistics on the box Federal Has this.

Also you can go to several Ammo makers Federal , Remington . Winchester.

they have the specs on there ammo on their web site.

sierra has ballistics for there bullets on there website.If you google bullet ballistics there's some programs you can get for free as well.

Wade

I've used www.biggameinfo.com several times. It's real simple.

Tines,

I looked at bigameinfo.com's ballistic calculator and liked that it showed how many clicks were needed for elevation and windage at various yardages.

RR

Thanks for the info. I'll do a search and see if I can find something like "ballistics for dummies". That will be appopriate for me!

Until then, how about if I make it simple. Amount of drop at 300 & 400 yards for 150 grain bullets from a 308 and 7mm mag.

Thanks, good hunting!

Tines,

I looked at bigameinfo.com's ballistic calculator and liked that it showed how many clicks were needed for elevation and windage at various yardages. 

RR

Red Rabbit,

That's why I like it. I've been using it's calculator and info for the past 2 seasons. I shot my buck 2 years ago @ 435 yards and last years' buck right @ 500 yards. I absolutely LOVE holding dead on my target regardless of it's distance. I didn't shoot well when I'd hold over. I never really liked the ballistic reticles either. Although the ballistic reticles have their advantages over using your "clicks", let's face it, with the distances we shoot, 9 times out of 10 that buck gives you time to get everything dialed in if you want.