Me and my good friend Tracy decided to head out and about this weekend to do some varmit calling, since it was the last weekend for bobcats and foxes. Our first set, after about 5 minutes of calling, we had three coyotes that came in, which Tracy dropped one at about 250 yards with his 22-250. We then moved to another location that looked extreamly good, and started a 2nd set, as we were sititng and watching, before the 1st blow of the call, A big bodied mule deer stood up from its bed just about 20 yards from us out of a wash, and proceeded to walk away... so far its been a great morning. It started to warm up pretty quickly, and then we decieded to go for a drive a little father up north, to get into more cooler weather. We did some sets up in the pines with no luck. We tried to go up a road that was covered with ice and snow, and unfortunatly we were unable to travel to where we wanted to, Thankfully. We were then driving to another location, where we passed a little atv trail. As we passed the trail all I saw was a tail, and the 1st thing that went of into my mind, was a coyote. I then shouted coyote and tracy stopped the truck and we bailed out of it as fast as possible. We were walking down this trail to hopefully find or at least see this coyote, At 1st I thought I heard some movement to the right, so I stopped to head back to check it out, as I turned I caught the glimpse of a body part. and As I stepped back to take a look at it, I was looking into the eyes of a mountain lion, in the pounced position about 5 feet from me. I then pulled up my rifle and fired!!!! The Lion imediatly rolled over spun around and took off through the thick manzanita brush. We then waited about 15-20 minutes before heading back in there. With both of our pistols drawn we followed the blood trail for about 45 minuts. This area was so thick that it took us that long to only travel about 30-40 yards. We found the cat and I am still extreamly excited, Its not the biggest lion, but it is my first. Thankfully I had my marlin 450 lever action which has iron sights and it allowed me to aim extreamly quickly. I am the one on the left.

DSCF0017.jpgDSCF0014.jpg

Congrats on taking out another lion B)

Hey Kaffer a lion at 5 FEET is one big A$$ :P lion!

Congrats!

:unsure:

I know this may ruin the mood but isn't it illegal to shoot kittens? I know I sound like a jerk but that looks like a kitten to me. I may be wrong but you could possibly get into trouble if a G&F officer saw that post?

Yeah there were no spots on this lion, and it also has its adult teeth in, and at about a distance of 5 feet, i didnt think twice about it. If needed the GF and contact me, I have no regrets on shooting this lion.

Guest Ernesto C
I know this may ruin the mood but isn't it illegal to shoot kittens?  I know I sound like a jerk but that looks like a kitten to me.  I may be wrong but you could possibly get into trouble if a G&F officer saw that post?

that's a ligar.......ligars are legal to hunt.

Congrats man.

I'm suprised there is anything left of it after using that caliber! :)

So you generally use a 450 Marlin for coyotes huh?!

Hate to ask what you use for elk! :)

Congrats again from a fellow "Marlin Man."

why does it seem any lion under 150 lbs is a kitten? mine was called a kitten also, and i do not see any sign of spots on this cat at all. and at a distance of 5 feet in the attack position, i think that would be considered self defense if nothing else, am i wrong?

again, congrats on the lion.

why does it seem any lion under 150 lbs is a kitten? mine was called a kitten also, and i do not see any sign of spots on this cat at all. and at a distance of 5 feet in the attack position, i think that would be considered self defense if nothing else, am i wrong?

Casey

In 2001, I was told by a GF officer that yes it would be self defense if the "story" added up with the evidence. In that case, I was stalked and almost munched by a lion in 6a while scouting for elk. I guarantee it was self defense for me, as I had no gun, and turned him away from me at 10 ft with a tree root. Them darn cats sure can be noisey, hissing growling and snarling... That is one experience I won't EVER forget. :)

Congrats on your good day of varmint hunting kaffer62!

Good job and congrats.,it doesn't look like an african lion but it is a mature lion and probobally a female.

That is definately not a mature lion and could be male or female.

I would probably have shot it as well being so close and in a crouched position. G&F does say spotted kitten so I was wrong, I think it is legal. Very cool story Kaffer!!!! I'm sure you had a major adrenaline rush from that!