Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Spotter Input

Looking on getting a spotter this year... having a hard time deciding between the Lecia (APO), Swaro HD and Zeiss...would like to know if anybody has looked thru different brands side by side...

Is there a significant difference between the 60 and 80mm glass.. does the extra weight with the 80 matter?

any suggestions?

Thanks gents... had the opportunity to look / glass with the Kowa Big Eyes and was impressed. Do you have a Kowa? They are the same price as the others... what made you pick the Kowa?

I know I am a little late to this post but did you buy a spotter? My two cents but look at the below link. The Vortex Razor HD gives up hardly nothing to the Alphas. Good luck.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65:vortex-razor-hd-20-60x85-spotting-scope&catid=6:spotting-scope-reviews&Itemid=6

I agree with westernhunter23 if money is an issue Vortex Razor HD is awesome. I had the chance to look through one the other day and I was very impressed.

The only side by side comparison I've done has been with the Swaro 80mm HD, 77mm Leica APO and the 85mm Zeiss. To my eyes I couldn't really tell a difference between the 3 under normal conditions but in low light the Zeiss slightly pulled ahead of the other 2.

One thing I should point out when it comes to optics one person might prefer one scope while another person might think another performs better. This was the case when I bought the Zeiss 85mm. Pretty much everyone I knew told me that nothing was better the the Swaro 80mm HD but I decided to get the Zeiss because it had a bigger objective. After doing the side by side comparison to my eyes the Zeiss came out on top over the Swaro and Leica but the owner of the Swaro liked the Swaro best. What I'd recommend to anyone looking at buying new glass is to try before you buy if at all possible. And not just in the stores but out in the field under hunting conditions.

Maybe there should be an optics camp out one weekend this spring where everyone brings their glass to compare with fellow hunters glass. Should be fun and very helpful.

I agree with westernhunter23 if money is an issue Vortex Razor HD is awesome. I had the chance to look through one the other day and I was very impressed.

The only side by side comparison I've done has been with the Swaro 80mm HD, 77mm Leica APO and the 85mm Zeiss. To my eyes I couldn't really tell a difference between the 3 under normal conditions but in low light the Zeiss slightly pulled ahead of the other 2.

One thing I should point out when it comes to optics one person might prefer one scope while another person might think another performs better. This was the case when I bought the Zeiss 85mm. Pretty much everyone I knew told me that nothing was better the the Swaro 80mm HD but I decided to get the Zeiss because it had a bigger objective. After doing the side by side comparison to my eyes the Zeiss came out on top over the Swaro and Leica but the owner of the Swaro liked the Swaro best. What I'd recommend to anyone looking at buying new glass is to try before you buy if at all possible. And not just in the stores but out in the field under hunting conditions.

Maybe there should be an optics camp out one weekend this spring where everyone brings their glass to compare with fellow hunters glass. Should be fun and very helpful.

"Maybe there should be an optics camp out one weekend this spring where everyone brings their glass to compare with fellow hunters glass. Should be fun and very helpful".

Great idea, but could be an expensive trip for some $$

Thanks for the input gents.... i have pretty much decided I need to purchase one when the right deal comes along....I am going to pick one up used, and been watching Ebay and other sites. I just don't see a lot of Razor or newer Kowa for sale (used)...just gonna be patient.

+1 i own the Razor and for the money and difference you cant go wrong

I know I am a little late to this post but did you buy a spotter? My two cents but look at the below link. The Vortex Razor HD gives up hardly nothing to the Alphas. Good luck.

http://opticsthought...eviews&Itemid=6

When you add it all up its hard to beat the Razor HD. It has the best warranty out of all of them. All of the above mentioned scopes are awesome, you are not losing much with one vs the others as far as quality goes. One person may like one over the other but I think at that point its personal preference. I looked through all of them exept for the leica and I couldnt tell the difference between the Swaro and the Razor HD. The Kowa seemed a little brighter to me, but what did it for me was the price. I just couldnt justify the price difference. It came down to equal quality (my opinion) price and no BS warranty. So I went with the Razor HD myself.

One thing you could do is go to the Outdoorsman, they are usually more than happy to set up different scopes on tripods and let you look at the mountain. Good luck, with what your looking at I doubt you will make a bad choice !!

Thanks for the input gents.... i have pretty much decided I need to purchase one when the right deal comes along....I am going to pick one up used, and been watching Ebay and other sites. I just don't see a lot of Razor or newer Kowa for sale (used)...just gonna be patient.

Yup, be patient. You have some time before the season/scouting. I shopped ebay and craigslist for a few months before finding a Zeiss Diascope in the west valley for $950. When it cames up, you have to jump on it or it will be gone.

Yup, be patient. You have some time before the season/scouting. I shopped ebay and craigslist for a few months before finding a Zeiss Diascope in the west valley for $950. When it cames up, you have to jump on it or it will be gone.

Yeah just missed out on a Swaro ATS 65 for $1200....darn