Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Application with a Lifetime License

I recently bought a lifetime license and moved out of state for school. When I apply do I check resident or non-resident? I am changing my residency to the new state. Is it true that my draw odds are the same as a resident but I check non-resident? Anyone done this before?

Technically you are no longer a resident. You have to have a residence in AZ for 6 months immediately proceeding your submital of your application.

From what I understand, you are not effected by th 10% non- resident rule, but you still have to pay non-resident fees.

Yep check non resident! You just don't have to pay the non resident license fee because you already have your lifetime license, but do have to pay the non resident tag fee! That's what they told me if I ever moved out of state!

I am going through the same thing this year. I called and she said that you do stay in the resident tag pool even though you check non resident. I asked her how they keep you in he resident pool if you check non resident and she said that the lifetime license number you type in "LH####" puts you back in the resident pool in their algorithm. Not sure that I fully trust it, but I guess there's no way to ever know that your name is getting in there and treated as it should without trusting!

You will be a non-res, and you don't have to pay for a license for AZ ever again. You will still have to pay the non-res tag fees. You will be in the resident drawing as stated. Pretty good deal for someone moving out of State.

The only thing I don't like about the whole process is what happens in 10-20 years when we have thousands of people move out of State. The Resident draw odds are going to get worse in Arizona each year and they will have to change this rule IMO. Anybody else have an opinion on this?

being a resident hunter and residency are a little different. you can be a resident of any state you want to be, for hunting purposes, but you can only be a resident of one state at a time. even if you actually live in another state and have residency of that state, you can still get a resident Az license and pay resident Az tag fees, but you can't be a resident hunter of another state at the same time. even if you own land in multiple states or whatever. you need to talk to the azgfd and get a concrete determination of your status. i've known of guys who were resident Az hunters who lived in a different state. but they had to hunt nonresident everywhere else. a friend of mine got a sheep tag once, or exfriend after he got a sheep tag. he went to some sort of class about bighorns before the hunt and there was a guy there that got drawn too, and they took his tag away, because he applied as an Az resident and had a resident colorado license also. he figured that because he had a home in both states, he was a resident of both states. i guess he was a real sad guy when they invalidated his tag. call the azgfd and get them to clear it up for you. Lark

It's pretty clear... check Non resident when you apply, they will charge you for the Nonresident tag fee if you draw, and the computer algorithm kicks your name into the resident pool due to the "LH" code you put in as your license number. You aren't applying as a resident of AZ, rather a Nonresident, you just don't have to buy a license every year.

being a resident hunter and residency are a little different. you can be a resident of any state you want to be, for hunting purposes, but you can only be a resident of one state at a time. even if you actually live in another state and have residency of that state, you can still get a resident Az license and pay resident Az tag fees, but you can't be a resident hunter of another state at the same time. even if you own land in multiple states or whatever. you need to talk to the azgfd and get a concrete determination of your status. i've known of guys who were resident Az hunters who lived in a different state. but they had to hunt nonresident everywhere else. a friend of mine got a sheep tag once, or exfriend after he got a sheep tag. he went to some sort of class about bighorns before the hunt and there was a guy there that got drawn too, and they took his tag away, because he applied as an Az resident and had a resident colorado license also. he figured that because he had a home in both states, he was a resident of both states. i guess he was a real sad guy when they invalidated his tag. call the azgfd and get them to clear it up for you. Lark

Thanks for clearing that up! I still bet quite a few people leave AZ as their main resident when they leave the State, being we have better hunting then most Western States!

You will be a non-res, and you don't have to pay for a license for AZ ever again. You will still have to pay the non-res tag fees. You will be in the resident drawing as stated. Pretty good deal for someone moving out of State.

The only thing I don't like about the whole process is what happens in 10-20 years when we have thousands of people move out of State. The Resident draw odds are going to get worse in Arizona each year and they will have to change this rule IMO. Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Yup, that explanation is exactly how it was explained to me. I grew up in Tucson and right before I left I bought a lifetime license, and as I remember it they used to be less expensive. I did get drawn for bull elk unit 9 using it the first year so I have to believe that was due to being placed in the resident pool.

You make a good point regarding non resident lifetime license holders screwing up the odds for residents. For selfish reasons I hope they don't change the rules but you make a good point. Youre right, probably wont become a big issue for another 10+ years or so. It will prob be talked about more when the number of apps amongst residents are on the rise. It'd be interesting to see how many non resi lifetime license holders apply and get drawn each yr...bet that's a stat azgf won't be disclosing any time soon!!!