Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Close encounter with a lion

My wife 2 kids and I were walking along this trail when we saw some Javelina. We stopped to look at them. We ooed and awed at went along out way. Then maybe 30 yards down the trail we saw this lion sleeping up on this rock maybe 10 yards in front of us. I would have been scared to death but it looked like the zoo had built a fairly solid enclosure so I did not worry about getting attacked.

Which brings me to my next and more important topic. Why doesn’t the Phoenix Zoo have Coues deer as a part of their Arizona Trail section of the Zoo? I mean that would be awesome to have a nice 110-120 inch buck with a couple does or at least a mule deer exhibit. I would be way more interested in looking at that than half the other animals at the Zoo. Just saying.

I thought the same thing when we were at the zoo last week! The should add the coues deer to the zoo.

I don't know how well either coues deer or mule deer would do in a situation like that. Although I know they have mule deer for breeding in Mexico that are fenced. It would be cool though.

Several years ago the Prescott zoo used to have a nice coues whitetail buck. His antlers were nice and palmated and was easy over 100". Also the desert museum has coues deer.

• Like 1

I stopped going to the zoo when I found out that they are a supporter of the mexican wolf restoration initiative. Not giving my $ to an organization that is trying to destroy my sport.

• Like 1