Sign in to follow this  
CouesBuckhunter

Extreme AZ Bear Hunts

I really enjoy your videos. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you should change the intro. It says the desert is unforgivable when I think you

really want to say unforgiving. just trying to help.....keep up the great work!

Thanks for all the comments guys and the critiques are really wanted. We just want to make a hunting show that Southwestern hunters can relate to.

Man those are some cool videos! In Cole Van Winkles big black bear video you can clearly see a salt lick in that hole in the ground and it seems like the bear was kinda coming into that. Just curious is that considered baiting to AZGFD?

Man those are some cool videos! In Cole Van Winkles big black bear video you can clearly see a salt lick in that hole in the ground and it seems like the bear was kinda coming into that. Just curious is that considered baiting to AZGFD?

IMO, yes. If it is indeed salt or another attractant that can be consumed.

Is it written in the AZGFD laws or regs that you can't use salt to bait bears? This is a very touchy subject I think. Another question I have....is it legal by AZGFD to put out a water barrel and shoot a bear that comes into it??? Is that considered baiting?

You cannot use anything that can be consumed by bears to lure it in and kill it. interpret it any way you want but in my opinion that includes water and salt.

Well AZGFD needs to be more specific if they are gonna be prosecuting people for baiting bears. I don't really see the difference in sitting a cattle tank that has been there for years and shooting a bear off of it as opposed to hauling a barrel and water down into a canyon for a month or two and shooting a bear off of that. Do you?

The AZGFD states in the bear regulations: No person shall knowingly use any substance as bait at anytime to attract or take bear. Sounds pretty simple to me. :)

TJ

Well AZGFD needs to be more specific if they are gonna be prosecuting people for baiting bears. I don't really see the difference in sitting a cattle tank that has been there for years and shooting a bear off of it as opposed to hauling a barrel and water down into a canyon for a month or two and shooting a bear off of that. Do you?

Yes, I do see a difference, but then again I think baiting bears should be legal. Highly controlled, but legal.

The AZGFD states in the bear regulations: No person shall knowingly use any substance as bait at anytime to attract or take bear. Sounds pretty simple to me. :)

Well put TJ I have had the same answer for some buddys when we have had this discussion. I don't see any harm in placing water barrels for bear if it was legal.

Just to clarify what is being seen in this video. The hole is from deer digging up the ground from Deer Cane Black

Magic which was placed there for deer many years ago and has been replenished yearly. In addition this area was also where my camera took a picture of an ocelot and two AZGFD Game Wardens came with me to verify the authenticity of the picture. While there we actually discussed salt/minerals being placed there for the deer while I was hunting bears. They had no issues with it being placed there as well as observed me replenishing the minerals. I have many hours of video and several hundred trail camera pictures that show the bears do not approach the salt. That they come in due to the sows coming through that area as well as there being a natural water source. For those of you that hunt the summer bear hunts you know this is the time of year that the sows are in heat and boars care very little about anything else other than water and breeding.

You can also view my sister in law Jenn Rose's bear hunt video, she also shot her bear from this stand and clearly shows him chasing a sow not comeing in for the salt.

I have have personally taken 4 bears from 35 A and B and only two have been taken from this stand. Here are two additional videos that show kills from water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvy7ri-dQzI

Sorry for an harshness in this post but I take pride in my bear hunting and have put in hundreds of hours of research and scouting and any talk of me baiting bears is taken very seriously.

Thanks,

Cole VanWinkle

• Like 3

Seriously guys this is why I won't post anything I kill or find in the woods on here anymore.can't we just be happy for a fellow hunter and not pick apart every photo or video for something wrong

• Like 1