Elkhunter1

Locked gate on state trust land

Good infomative thread.......I would never cut a lock, just doesn't seem quite right even if the person who put the lock on there did it illegally.

I have been kicked off of a couple of ranches in the past, nothing posted, no locks. And it isn't fun not being able to get where you thought you were going.

Better to be informed and do it right than to turn myself criminal.

Thanks for the information.

This was my intention from the start. My dad was The Chief Hunting instructor when I was younger. He always said "if you do things the right way you almost always get what you are working towards!" He also said " even if you don't get what you want, you can still sleep at nite when you go about it the right way!" This man pounded it into his kids heads, do things the legal way not the "BONEHEAD" way. All three of his boys are successful law abiding citizens who love this country and the freedom to hunt and fish.

I talked at length this afternoon with the G&F on the specifics of my complaint and was assured they would be out to the area and complete a very through investigation and give the results as soon as possible.

Without Amanda's help with this situation I believe I wouldn't have as much response or as much info as I do have. Thanks again Amanda!

You are welcome :) I am always glad to help! Thanks to the AGFD personnel and State Land Dept for being so responsive. And thanks for not cutting the lock Stephen!

Good informative thread.......I would never cut a lock, just doesn't seem quite right even if the person who put the lock on there did it illegally.

I have been kicked off of a couple of ranches in the past, nothing posted, no locks. And it isn't fun not being able to get where you thought you were going.

Better to be informed and do it right than to turn myself criminal.

Thanks for the information.

This was my intention from the start. My dad was The Chief Hunting instructor when I was younger. He always said "if you do things the right way you almost always get what you are working towards!" He also said " even if you don't get what you want, you can still sleep at nite when you go about it the right way!" This man pounded it into his kids heads, do things the legal way not the "BONEHEAD" way. All three of his boys are successful law abiding citizens who love this country and the freedom to hunt and fish.

I talked at length this afternoon with the G&F on the specifics of my complaint and was assured they would be out to the area and complete a very through investigation and give the results as soon as possible.

Without Amanda's help with this situation I believe I wouldn't have as much response or as much info as I do have. Thanks again Amanda!

You are welcome :) I am always glad to help! Thanks to the AGFD personnel and State Land Dept for being so responsive. And thanks for not cutting the lock Stephen!

I had no intention of cutting the locks, contacting the ALD was just the first step in what I was willing to do to gain a resolution, second step was AZGFD then direct contact with EPNG ans KM. There is always a process that needs to be taken to get a proper response to every situation.

how about to get out thru the gate ?

That is a very good question. I will ask AGFD when I get to the catchment project tomorrow. i will also ask Matt at the meeting tomorrow with the Forest Service about the unit 33 road closures.

So while we are on the subject of State Trust Land, are you allowed to drive on it? I've always been under the impression that you can, but a buddy was nearly cited for criminal trespass in the White Tanks. Apparently, the MCSO deputy stated that you may not operate a motor vehicle on State Trust Land.

So while we are on the subject of State Trust Land, are you allowed to drive on it? I've always been under the impression that you can, but a buddy was nearly cited for criminal trespass in the White Tanks. Apparently, the MCSO deputy stated that you may not operate a motor vehicle on State Trust Land.

I have learned there can be vehicular restrictions to trust land as well as total closure for various reasons from the protection of utilities to just agreements with lessees restricting access. The vehicular restrictions are supposed to be posted as such. Your buddy wasn't cited probably because it wasn't posted, or the deputy realized he was wrong.

I never said to cut the lock... CUT THE CHAIN..

Then when the yahoo who locked it in the first place comes back, he can relock it and still be in violation of the law by keeping the hunting public out of taxpayer funded land..All while you are just trying to excersize your rights to use public land!!

WOW

Ron

Just cut a link and add your own lock. Have it stamped with AZH for Arizona hunter. Haha.

Good info! We had something similar happen on a deer hunt in the Douglas area where the map showed the road on State or BLM but the gate was locked. We spoke to a local that was parked at the gate trying to figure why it was locked....anyway he said he and his buddies were going to teach the rancher a lesson by...no need repeating how! We spoke to game and fish the same day and he said that they have been trying to work it out with the rancher but no access was going to be granted (only his buddies had access). G&F guy said he was pretty sure the road was on public land but they didnt have the $1500 to hire a surveyor to prove it...and a few more thousands for the leagal battle when the rancher hired his own sureyor to dispute the findings. I asked why not make a 50 to 100 yd road to get arount issue? He said G&F doesnt have the money for the all the permits and studies needed to build assuming (BIG butt) State Land or BLM would approve the road. I sypathize with the rancher, im sure he had his reasons for locking the gate but the law is supposed to be the law right? My conclusion, we the hunters got screwed!

I wonder if AZG&F would entertain the idea of soliciting hunters with the equipment to doze around these tiny ranches blocking access to huge amounts of public land. I know several hunters who own construction equipment that would probably donate their time and resources.

I'm not talking about anything shady - something done completely in accordance with the law, that doesn't leave AZG&F trying to foot the bill for all these easements. I bet a lot of sportsmen and women would be glad to donate money as well to get legal access. I know I would.

Food for thought, anyway.

I wonder if AZG&F would entertain the idea of soliciting hunters with the equipment to doze around these tiny ranches blocking access to huge amounts of public land. I know several hunters who own construction equipment that would probably donate their time and resources.

I'm not talking about anything shady - something done completely in accordance with the law, that doesn't leave AZG&F trying to foot the bill for all these easements. I bet a lot of sportsmen and women would be glad to donate money as well to get legal access. I know I would.

Food for thought, anyway.

Now that is the best idea I've heard in a long time. We donate time and resources for the water catchments why not to put access roads in.

Good info! We had something similar happen on a deer hunt in the Douglas area where the map showed the road on State or BLM but the gate was locked. We spoke to a local that was parked at the gate trying to figure why it was locked....anyway he said he and his buddies were going to teach the rancher a lesson by...no need repeating how!

And we all wonder way we lose access! :angry:

• Like 1

What maps are you all using to determine land ownership?

I use all the maps available (ie national forest, contour) but I ckeck them against the online maps at the Arizona State Land Department webpage.

I have found some county mapping in other posts that give pretty accurate mapping of private lands.