Sign in to follow this  
AntlerObsession

Mt. Lion Hunt, March 2012

Well, please mark a BiG one off my bucket list!! I had the privilege of going hiking with my friend Danny Sanchez, his cousin Mark and his lion dog, Spot. Danny has had him for about a week, and we weren't sure how good he really was, but Spot quickly put our doubts to rest!!

Saturday morning, we headed out before daylight, not more than 30 minutes from the house. We unloaded at the trailhead, expecting to do a +/- 8 mile hiking trip, hoping we might cut a lion track, and see how Spot reacted. About 13 minutes from the truck, less than .5 miles, Spot started hitting a trail, and came up baying!! We followed him up a canyon, and it hadn't been a minute, when his baying changes, and the GPS unit indicates "Cat treed!"

Disbelieving that he could actually be on a lion so quickly, we hurry to the tree, and sure enough, a mature lion steps out on a tree limb, mad as Hades! As soon as we arrive, he jumps the tree, and the race is on again! We follow Spot another 200 yds., but he doesn't seem to be indicating any particular tree, and we wonder if the cat has given us the slip. As we are scanning tree tops, all of a sudden, Mark yells,"He is right above you!!" Afraid to look up, and perhaps catch the cat full in the face, I cringe and hurry away from the tree I had just been leaning against, and look up to see that cat not 10 ft above me!! More to follow . . . Gotta head to work!

And . . . We're . . .Back!

So now I know where the saying "Barking up the Wrong Tree" comes from! So I get clear of the tree enough to see that this cat is mad as ever, and probably deciding on whether to eat me or the dog! I drew my .40 and shot 3x, hitting the cat twice. Well, the cat just got madder! After sizing up Spot, Danny and me, he decided that I was the easiest target and leaped out of the tree straight at me!

Now, I will tell you right now that there are few things more terrifying than an injured lion flying through the air straight at you! I will have that image burned into my brain until the day I die!!

Well, as that cat was flying at me, I calmly considered putting 3 more rounds in it mid-air, or maybe bypass the pistol and just punch it right in the face with a sweet upper cut. Wouldn't that have been sweet!?! Well, with the cat half-way to me, I came to my senses and quickly hid behind a tree, hoping the cat wouldn't follow suit.

So the chase is on again, and good ol' Spot puts the heat on him, getting him to tree a third time! As we watched him, he started to lose his balance and ultimately fell 25 ft to the forest floor. We thought for sure the cat was done, but even with 2 bullets in him, and a 25 foot fall, there was plenty of fight still in that cat! That cat got Spot pretty good twice, a bite on his muzzle, and on his chest, before I could get close enough to finish him with 2 more rounds.

Congrats go to Danny and Spot for being a deadly team, and I appreciate so much the opportunity to have gone with them! All told, it took Spot 13 minutes to tree the cat from the time we left the truck, and it was all over in 22 minutes! Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, but in Spot's case he's got both!! Thanks again, Danny!

th_SAM_0827.jpg

th_IMG_3896.jpg

th_IMG_3894.jpg

th_IMG_3877.jpg

th_IMG_3876.jpg

• Like 1

YOU SUCK! Hurry up and finish the story you lucky SOB!

Wow, unbelieveable is right!! Looks like you chose the right dog!

Sounds like everyday of lion hunting to me! Just hike out of the truck and put one in a tree in 20 min. with one dog! Well done.......

ok now that I have that out of my system congrats..

Whitey

Now that had to be one awesome turn of events for sure. Congratulations on your lion and I hope you buried your shorts deep. :lol:

TJ

I don't if you have ever been lion hunting before but if you haven't you are one of the luckiest men around. Usually the houndsman, dogs and the hunter work their asses off for days trying to cut a 8 hour old track. It can be frustrating or in your case easy as pie. I am a little resentful because I have yet to get mine and I have been out with 8 good dogs that have caught a ton of lions and a great houndsman with some great horses in great country. Nice job and great looking cat.Congrats

Congrats! Great story! I saw a mountain lion chase a doe while scouting and after his failed attempt at the doe he stop broadside for 15 minutes at 250 yards. I now carry a lion tag when I am out in the field.