DotShot

Just me?

yeah, and I also picked up a virus or 2. One was called bloodhound an the other one was some sort of worm. Did anyone else get an email from the site something about a online card has been created.... That is when all the crap hit the fan and I cannot get in at all without going to the main page.

Well from what i have found, it only affects the discussion forum. It will let you into the forum but once you select an area and try to use the back button, you are done. At this point you have to maneuver back to the main page and go back into the forum. All of the other links from the main page are fine it seems.

Something is goin on with the site :unsure: I thought it was just my computer....

If you do not have an up to date anti-virus program, you are probably hosed! If you have no anti-vius, XP users might try to restore your system to an earlier point in time to repair any damage. We might go through discussion group withdrawals, but now might be a good time to review the rest of the site for changes!

Amanda is aware of the situation and I am sure she is working on a fix.

If you use a different browser, such as mozilla firefox there is no problem and everything works just fine.

The forum seems to be fixed, the main site is still having trouble. Still working on it..... Sorry for the headaches. Obviously I need to find a solution so this doesn't happen again...

Amanda

yeah, and I also picked up a virus or 2. One was  called bloodhound an the other one was some sort of worm.  Did anyone else get an email from the site something about a online card has been created....  That is when all the crap hit the fan and I cannot get in at all without going to the main page.

az4life, thats what I got this morning when I opened my emails. So far it has not affected anything, maybe I'll get lucky. I will keep you updated.

When the main page is accessed a file named xpl.wmf is downloaded and executed. WMF fiile is a picture file and this particular one is what causes the redirect to the .biz websites that are trying to be accesed when you hit the back button trying to get out of the discussion forum. If the source of the xpl.wmf file on the main page can be found and eliminated, i think you will be ok. WMF files are auto executed in Internet Explorer which gives the user no say in the matter. Good luck!

Yes, bowsniper. someone hacked into the forum and emailed everyone a virus/trojan. And somehow attached it to my site so that everyone who visits gets attacked.

Amanda

I was able to fix the main page by deleting it and reloading it. Tech support for the forum software fixed the forum.

So things seem ok now. Tech support says they have an upgrade for the software that might help with security. but we risk losing a lot of data in the upgrade.

Amanda

I only used mozilla firefox and had the virus zap me. first time for everything I guess.

Norton did not catch it the first time but the worm started eating away my files in the few minutes I had it.

Only lost 2 days of emails and part of a database plus... 2 Autocad files I was working on Iwas able to go back to saved versions from a few days earlier. Cost me about 10 hours work. Hard to restore those files with the DT's (withdrawal from no new posts to read)

Thanks for all your efforts to correct the problem Amanda!